Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

398 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Nicola Sturgeon is a fair few not great things but in what way is she weak? She's the fairly long standing First Minister of Scotland, with little threat to her position as such in this election, with extremely good approval ratings despite being the leader of a party that half the country fundamentally don't like, and has managed to dominate most of her internal enemies or waved them off to a fringe party which could still end up with 0 msps. I'm not even a big fan of her or the Snp but weak is a weird one to throw at her. 

He means a woman 

41 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

And yet, your sleepy goblin hasn't been allowed to appear on leader debates...

I did not intend to post again, but I feel that I must.  I am not accepting any loss in support for Independence is due to Another Pro Independence party being formed by your sleepy cuddle goblin.  If the SNP don't get a majority at Holyrood (which is unlikely in the first place given the set up) then the blame should not be directed toward the Alba party (ref: Baxter parp) who are list only.  Maybe direct the anger towards the Greens who are also standing against the SNP in constituency seats?  Or god forbid, the SNP themselves that are being run in an autocratic fashion. 

The SNP for the past 5 years have done nothing to advance Independence, they have been weak.  Nicola Sturgeon is weak.  The SNP used to be all for Independence, but it has become the party of devolution.  Ask yourself why it is more important to put through legislation on hate crime and gender reform than the one thing, the sole thing, the only thing that unites Independence supporters.  Why?  If your answer is they don't have the powers to do that, then why are they opposing, yes opposing, a court case that would determine whether the Scottish people have the right to call a referendum without westminster permission.  Its fucking insane. Independence used to be top of the list, now it is somewhere under a pile of shit.

So it is absolutely absurd that a vote for Alba would be to blame if the SNP don't get a majority, the SNP will be to blame if they don't get a majority. 

I have voted and I voted for the good of my country that I love.   I voted SNP on the constituency and Alba on the list. 

Because they form the Scottish government and are therefore entrusted to trying to make the country a better place.

...and secondly it was a stupid court case, rightly chucked out due to a lack of standing that represented a reckless gamble that had it returned a verdict that Holyrood had no power, would have severely curtailed any further options.

And last, nothing Alba have proposed, nothing Alba can realistically do will advance Indy any further beyond a simple SNP majority or SNP/Green coalition. With the added bonus that Alba, for all Salmond's achievements in politics is now not so much divisive as reviled, and his party is made up of opportunistic morons.

Edited by renton

8 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

What's the story there, do folk think it was rigged or something?

Tbh if I thought the party was corrupt or whatever I'd probably just stop giving them my money and resign my membership. As it is I don't so I've no issue voting for them on the list. Pretty simple imo. If I was just a punter I'd probably give the greens my list vote but as a member it's a bit hypocritical.

It's a similar thing to these Alba nutcases in some ways. If you get to the stage where you think the leadership of the party conspired to make up crimes and send someone to jail, it's probably the right thing to do to leave that party? Don't really get the need for all the drama over it, or the false pleas for 'unity in the movement' or whatever. If all these folk think the SNP is corrupt and full of paedo enablers, or whatever fairy story their bloggers are telling them this week, why would they want unity with us. 

Not rigged as such, but the selection criteria made it impossible for any non-disabled (in 4 regions) or non-BAME candidate (in the other 4) to top the list.

As the SNP are highly unlikely to win 2 list seats anywhere except (maybe) the south region, this effectively deselected many good candidates, including Nicola herself if she fails to win her constituency.

The nomination process did not disclose who was self-identifying as disabled or BAME, so I was unable to make an informed choice as to who to vote for. As far as I am aware, no checks were made to ensure that any self-identification was valid. In addition, the effect of the so-called "positive" discrimination meant that a BAME candidate could not win H&I, whilst a disabled candidate could not win Glasgow.

My branch wrote to HQ to ask for clarification of the policy. As far as I am aware, they did not even receive the courtesy of a reply. Accordingly, I fail to see why I should give HQ my loyalty on the list

Accordingly, while I will be voting for Jenni Minto as my constituency SNP MSP (even though she was only my second choice in the constituency selection), I may choose to give my list vote to another pro-indy candidate. I'll watch for any polling before making my final decision where it goes, but I'm currently considering 1.SNP & 2.Green.

Obviously, I do hope to resign my membership in the future, when independence has been acheived, but that doesn't mean that they SNP will always be guaranteed my list vote in every election until that date, In fact, I would feel even more strongly about giving my vote to another pro-indy candidate if I stayed in an area where the top SNP candidate had virtually no chance of winning a list place.

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Nicola Sturgeon is a fair few not great things but in what way is she weak? She's the fairly long standing First Minister of Scotland, with little threat to her position as such in this election, with extremely good approval ratings despite being the leader of a party that half the country fundamentally don't like, and has managed to dominate most of her internal enemies or waved them off to a fringe party which could still end up with 0 msps. I'm not even a big fan of her or the Snp but weak is a weird one to throw at her. 

NS is a powerful autocrat who has laser focused control over every aspect of her party, and has single-handedly forced the rest of the SNP to put their entire raison d'etre on the back-burner. But she's done this very weakly. IMO

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm a member of a political party and part of that comes with accepting the democratically agreed policies and strategies of the party.

If you can't tell the difference between that and groupthink that's on you.

Lol wut

No, that's what comes with accepting position as a representative of that political party, not membership. Do you accept all 'policies and strategies' of Dundee United Football Club unthinkingly, just because you buy a ticket to watch their matches/hold a handful of token shares in the club?

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

And yet, your sleepy goblin hasn't been allowed to appear on leader debates...

Not sure what that has to do with the press coverage - it's patently ridiculous, and it's because political journalists are giggly teenagers who are all about the drama.

But are you seriously suggesting that a party with no MSPs should be in the debates? And if the Sleepy Cuddles Party hadn't been established, are we to believe you would have been on here arguing for Respect UK (who actually have an MSP) and George Galloway to be in the leaders debates?

Cmon.

I did not intend to post again, but I feel that I must.  I am not accepting any loss in support for Independence is due to Another Pro Independence party being formed by your sleepy cuddle goblin.  If the SNP don't get a majority at Holyrood (which is unlikely in the first place given the set up) then the blame should not be directed toward the Alba party (ref: Baxter parp) who are list only.  Maybe direct the anger towards the Greens who are also standing against the SNP in constituency seats?  Or god forbid, the SNP themselves that are being run in an autocratic fashion. 

Nobody is attacking Alba for standing against the SNP.

They're attacking Alba for making independence look embarrassing, and connecting it to some really ugly beliefs.

The SNP for the past 5 years have done nothing to advance Independence

😂 Still makes me laugh every time someone says this.

Nicola Sturgeon is weak.

Yeah, her personal polling figures are terrible, eh?

I mean, you must be right and everyone else is wrong. It's the only logical conclusion. 

TAsk yourself why it is more important to put through legislation on hate crime and gender reform than the one thing, the sole thing, the only thing that unites Independence supporters. 

This is, quite simply, batshit crazy.

They are the government. It's their job to govern the whole country, and on all the issues. Scotland is not a single issue nation and we don't all believe that the constitutional issue is the only thing that matters. You flag-shaggers are in a small minority.

For most of us, independence is an important issue but so too are human rights. Racism is more important than independence. 

Your problem isn't that you think they shouldn't be making laws on those things. Your problem is that you don't like those laws. That's fine, but stop trying to kid everyone on.

Why?  If your answer is they don't have the powers to do that, then why are they opposing, yes opposing, a court case that would determine whether the Scottish people have the right to call a referendum without westminster permission. 

The court case was tactical idiocy. Losing it on its merits would have fkn killed indyref2, dead in the water. It would have reduced a post-election administration to begging for a s.30 Order, which would obviously have been refused. Then what?

You would struggle to think of ways to hurt the cause than that case. Thank God the court just told them to piss off and didn't rule on the merits.

I have voted and I voted for the good of my country that I love.   I voted SNP on the constituency and Alba on the list. 

I voted for a government with a full agenda to improve the country. You just voted for flag-shagging.

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

Lol wut

No, that's what comes with accepting position as a representative of that political party, not membership. Do you accept all 'policies and strategies' of Dundee United Football Club unthinkingly, just because you buy a ticket to watch their matches/hold a handful of token shares in the club?

It's literally in the rules of the party. I'm not aware of any rule Dundee United has about the conduct of their season ticket holders. 

A member of a political party is not compelled to agree with the defined central party position this side of Lenin's ban on factionalism in the Soviet Union. I've seen many a football club owner/happyclapper who tried to claim the same about who are the real fans of their football club - but without fail got drubbed in the end. 

Why do you believe that membership of a party obliges you to agree with all of its policies and electoral strategies once voted on? That's not a rhetorical question - I just find that an absolutely wild stance to take tbh. 

Edited by vikingTON

A member of a political party is not compelled to agree with the defined central party position this side of Lenin's ban on factionalism in the Soviet Union. I've seen many a football club owner/happyclapper who tried to claim the same about who are the real fans of their football club - but without fail got drubbed in the end. 
Why do you believe that membership of a party obliges you to agree with all of its policies and electoral strategies once voted on? That's not a rhetorical question - I just find that an absolutely wild stance to take tbh. 

If the SNP are anything like Labour then they will kick you out for not voting for them. What my issue is is that you absolutely do not have to say who you voted for so just lie or don’t dox yourself.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Nobody is attacking Alba for standing against the SNP.

They're attacking Alba for making independence look embarrassing, and connecting it to some really ugly beliefs.

😂

I'd love to hear the intricacies of the debate surrounding these really ugly beliefs so I can make my own mind up. 

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

If the SNP are anything like Labour then they will kick you out for not voting for them. What my issue is is that you absolutely do not have to say who you voted for so just lie or don’t dox yourself.

AFAIK this is not correct. The SNP will only kick you out if you stand against them, not if you vote for a party that stands against them. The only exception is if you go on to join another party or if you publicly bring the SNP into disrepute.

Whilst I remain a member of the SNP, I can vote Green, Alba, Monster Loony or even C*ntTory, and still not be kicked out

23 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

If the SNP were more committed to gender reform than independence then why have they failed to pass GRA reform despite clearly being able to whip a parliamentary majority for it.

I'm not sure, what do you think?

9 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

AFAIK this is not correct. The SNP will only kick you out if you stand against them, not if you vote for a party that stands against them. The only exception is if you go on to join another party or if you publicly bring the SNP into disrepute.

Whilst I remain a member of the SNP, I can vote Green, Alba, Monster Loony or even C*ntTory, and still not be kicked out

I reckon there will be many, many SNP members like myself who will be voting SNP/Green.  I’d be very surprised if anyone of authority in the party who would even raise the issue.

Because the leadership are cowards on this issue and didn't know the size of the transphobic cohort of their membership. Assuming these people all do very poorly in the elections due to the taint of Salmond, they really will have no excuse not to legislate on it in the next session. And none of this extra consultation bollocks.

So what you’re saying is they’re not more obsessed with this than independence?

22 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

So what you’re saying is they’re not more obsessed with this than independence?

The alba fruitloops definitely are...just read some of there twitter accounts it's mental 

15 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Wait, so is Nicola Sturgeon weak or is she autocratic? Not really sure how she could be both.

No idea. She’s just become unlikeable to a few more people, as she’s been in charge during the pandemic and is the public face (her and that lad Leitch) of the bad news on restrictions.

I used to really like her and now I can’t bear to listen to her. I voted SNP (postal vote) in the constituency vote but that was due to liking my MSP. I thought twice about it, as it’s seen as tacit support for Nicola.