Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

394 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I was half listening to the Radio Scotland interview with Alex Salmond this morning. I might have misheard, but I thought I heard him say that someone had managed to unearth membership numbers for the Scottish LibDems and the Tories and that Alba has overtaken both. 

I've looked online and can't find any such story. Anyone know if I heard correctly, and if so, what the source is? 

I'm fairly certain that your average house party has a greater membership than the Scottish Lib Dems.

Overtaking the Tories would be hilarious and is entirely believable. I'd like to see DRoss reminded of this regularly until his wee head explodes.

There’s an opinion poll released yesterday and Alba have a net approval rating of -36.  For context the Tories were -38. 

Can anyone explain the hatred towards Alex?  

Is it simply because he cheated on his wife one time? 

8 minutes ago, EV9 said:

There’s an opinion poll released yesterday and Alba have a net approval rating of -36.  For context the Tories were -38. 

Yes. That is the only issue anyone has with ALBA. 

12 minutes ago, EV9 said:

If that sort of thing mattered much, after tampongate/Diana, rather than being crowned on Saturday, Charlie would be Britain's official representative to the French Southern and Antarctic Lands. (A real place, I had to look it up.) 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Yes. That is the only issue anyone has with ALBA. 

It isn't an issue for me and I could in the future vote for Salmond in the future. I won't vote for ALBA mainly because of certain people on social media.  I'm glad they have left the SNP as they was toxic but now seem to try and hurt the SNP at every opportunity than attack the unionist parties. 

Edited by betting competition

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Class touch to photograph all the delegates and supporters that attended.

I genuinely had no awareness that this was happening.  They must have brought at least one person to hold the camera, and nobody else.   Or has the Bishop of Bath come up on his holidays (or has he been banned).

NotRev Stu's commenters on WIngs of Beagles come over as being like a pro-independence UKIP, with lots of anti-vaxxery, anti-Englishness etc. And they HAYT the SNP like the People's Front of Judea HAYT the Judean People's Front.

I wouldn't be surprised if their members outnumbered the Tories or the WibbleDems, but I think most of their voters are members. The biggest delusion MadStu's entourage have is that Alba are going to take over from the SNP.

On 28/03/2021 at 23:33, Donathan said:

I think Alba will be a damp squib this time but I actually think there is a path for them to pick up support from the SNP in the future. There are a lot of parallels with the Brexit Party down South who started to hoover up support in 2019 after Theresa May was seen to be dithering on delivering Brexit and then they fell apart after Johnson took over and United the leave vote.

The scenario where I could see them starting to pick up support is after the election when Sturgeon is inevitably returned as FM, asks Johnson for a section 30 order and is told to bolt, challenges it in court and loses and is then snookered.

I think at this point, the likely Sturgeon approach would be to wait it out until the next general election and hope to once again return a stomping majority of Scottish MPs who could try to negotiate a referendum using their leverage in a hung Parliament scenario.

However, if this was Sturgeon’s plan C, I think some in the movement would view this as an unacceptable delay and a more fundamentalist nationalist party could gain support (Alba could outflank the SNP in a way the Greens never could IMO) by campaigning for more extreme measures like a wildcat referendum or even a UDI.

Good post

On 29/03/2021 at 15:09, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The Raving Loony movement was set back by a massive schism in the early 90s between the "Official" Monster Raving Loony Party and the breakaway Raving Loony Green Giant Party

• 1 month later...
On 15/05/2023 at 13:25, KirkieRR said:

NotRev Stu's commenters on WIngs of Beagles come over as being like a pro-independence UKIP, with lots of anti-vaxxery, anti-Englishness etc. And they HAYT the SNP like the People's Front of Judea HAYT the Judean People's Front.

I wouldn't be surprised if their members outnumbered the Tories or the WibbleDems, but I think most of their voters are members. The biggest delusion MadStu's entourage have is that Alba are going to take over from the SNP.

They won’t take over from the SNP, but they’ll siphon off enough votes in marginal seats to give them to Labour.. 

2 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

I see Salmond took a wee side-swipe at NS during his eulogy for Winnie Ewing - bit tasteless IMO, not the time or place, and certainly not something that will progress the movement.

The National has published the full eulogy at https://www.thenational.scot/news/23657928.read-alex-salmonds-eulogy-independence-legend-winnie-ewing/

The only line I can find that could possibly be considered to be a "swipe" at Sturgeon is where he says "Winnie never held office but you don’t have to hold high office to achieve something. Just as you can hold office and achieve nothing."

The "high office" statrment could equally be applied to Dewar, McLeish, McConnell, Yousaf & Salmond himself. It could also be applied to numerous UK Prime Ministers. Why, specifically, do you consider this line to be a swipe at Sturgeon? 

The only direct "swipe" I can see is against Kier Starmer, relating to introduction of free school meals, and even that is a punchline to a joke about Salmond himself getting a free lunch as a schoolchild.

I watched it and not for a second did I think it was a dig at Nicola so I was surprised by the twitter warriors last night. Perhaps, given the circumstance, they felt a bit vulnerable.

On 16/07/2023 at 10:46, Ned Nederlander said:

I see Salmond took a wee side-swipe at NS during his eulogy for Winnie Ewing - bit tasteless IMO, not the time or place, and certainly not something that will progress the movement.

Not sure that supporters of Sturgeon and her slaphead husband are in a position to lecture anyone about what will progress the movement right now.