Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

2 hours ago, superwell87 said:

Things are starting to simmer in the 'Well v Celtic thread.

They are indeed! Great read, the level of denial, transference of blame and avoidance of responsibilty by the Celtic posters is a masterclass.

Just caught up on the last few pages. 

Sandy can never really be considered a true heads gone considering his head has never been correctly attached in the first place and celtc fans on here having a meltdown after winning with all the cards in their favour is an extremely common occurance. 

19 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Just for the avoidance of doubt, that wasn't the racist part of the post. The mods have left it up if you want to have a look (although they have deleted @AndrewFFC's racism) but there's a term in there that's offensive against a particular group. 

The term in question - not everyone knows it has a racist origin. 

When I was growing up it was commonly used to mean filthy people. 

16 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I missed it. If it is what I think it is, then I tend to agree with you in that many people don't realise, in which case then for me, it's use becomes racist if you keep using it once educated. 

32 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I missed it. If it is what I think it is, then I tend to agree with you in that many people don't realise, in which case then for me, it's use becomes racist if you keep using it once educated. 

Absolutely - I learned its origin from a post on here. Where this argument falls down, however, is that the racist nature of the word was already pointed out to Falkirk fans last year:

On 28/01/2022 at 21:54, Rugby Is Terrible said:

Tink is a racist/ethnic slur used against the travelling community. It really has no place at all in civilised society. 

The guy who initially used it yesterday, @NavyBlueArmy1876, didn't like it being called out back then either so he was clearly aware that it's racist. It's also worth pointing out that hapless moderator @Andy Dufresne banned the person above who called it out and liked a subsequent post containing the slur. 

40 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Absolutely - I learned its origin from a post on here. Where this argument falls down, however, is that the racist nature of the word was already pointed out to Falkirk fans last year:

I don't think it falls down at all. "Falkirk Fans" on a forum aren't a hive mind any more than Hamilton fans are. If an individual chooses to keep using it then I guess you should report them and let the mods have another crack at sorting it. 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't think it falls down at all. "Falkirk Fans" on a forum aren't a hive mind any more than Hamilton fans are. If an individual chooses to keep using it then I guess you should report them and let the mods have another crack at sorting it. 

That's clearly not going to happen if you have a moderator encouraging the use of racist terminology.

1 minute ago, Cosmic Joe said:

That's clearly not going to happen if you have a moderator encouraging the use of racist terminology.

No point asking me to answer for them though. All you can do is report it/call it out. One of those has been done. I don't know if the other has or not. I've seen you speak on other threads about these issues. I know you don't have a "theres no point in trying" attitude. 

If this is the slur I'm thinking of, I learned it was racial from P&B too, and you could probably find examples of me using it on here before then. Another example of why it's worth thinking about the origin of words and phrases, lest ye end up reinforcing prejudices against damp squids.

Football in general's really great for enhancing your knowledge and understanding of the world. Albert Camus was spot on.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Going to have to find another word for folk who live in Dingwall.

Gudgie I believe is the local vernacular. I prefer to think of it more "Too refined for Inverness".

I had no idea the word had racist links until Scottsdad said. It's not a word I use but as kids we used it to mean dirty, I don't use it now as I'm not 9. 

Every day is a school day.

4 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Reminds me of the day I got into trouble in Primary for saying I was late back due to being at the Tally Van 

I played youth football with an Italian guy and in one of our games he got racially abused by an opponent who thought he was Asian.  I was standing next to him when it happened and it was a strange moment

Guy Confused Meme Generator - Piñata Farms - The best meme ...

Just now, Bert Raccoon said:

Reminds me of the day I got into trouble in Primary for saying I was late back due to being at the Tally Van 

Forty years ago it was completely acceptable to go down to the P*ki shop and get ripped off by the P*ki behind the counter, because that's what they do. Ten years later, the only time you heard that word being used was when some arsehole was using it as an insult. I'm not sure what happened to make terms like that so verboten over such a short period of time, but well played to those responsible.

They all seem to be coming back into general use, after a decade or more of hard work by internet roasters and desperate politicians. Congratulations, you p***ks.

21 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Gudgie I believe is the local vernacular. I prefer to think of it more "Too refined for Inverness".

Is this a variation of gadgie? That was a word I definitely used growing up to mean much the same thing. I know in Edinburgh it's used affectionately to mean pal or mate (I think). But I found out on here a few years back it refers to Irish travellers. I had no idea. Edit: I may be getting mixed up with the word previously being discussed here.

As @BFTD says, that's the danger of simply using words you've heard in context but don't know the origin of and any prejudice that may be unintentionally implying.

image.thumb.png.2da070ddf6f8093f1d06474af60b659e.png

Edit 2: Turns out it's a Romani word that refers to a person who is non-Roma. The more you ken, eh.

Edited by RawB93

I believe "Gadgie" comes from Romani (like a few words in East of Scotland/Geordie slang) and just means someone who isn't a Romani.

I suspect we're not calling people "Gadji" in the feminine but have just Scotticised "Gadjo"

In Romani culture, a gadjo (masculine) or gadji (feminine) is a person who has no Romanipen. This usually corresponds to not being an ethnic Romani, but it can also be an ethnic Romani who does not live within Romani culture. 

3 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Is this a variation of gadgie? That was a word I definitely used growing up to mean much the same thing. I know in Edinburgh it's used affectionately to mean pals or mates (I think). But I found out on here a few years back it refers to Irish travellers. I had no idea.

As @BFTD says, that's the danger of simply using words you've heard in context but don't know the origin of and any prejudice that may be unintentionally implying.

GADGIE n. a boy, a man (scotslanguage.com)

The word gadgie is derived from Romany gorgio ‘a non-gipsy'. In the Scottish National Dictionary (SND) gadgie, as recorded from the Gipsies of Kirk Yetholm c. 1930, was any man who was not a gipsy.

23 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Race? They're a whole different species.

Reveal hidden contents

Dons tin hat, awaits incoming accusations of blatant Fife speciesism.

I see you've had to tinker with that post.

Edited by btb