European Super League.

Lofarl

The ESL's new proposal includes provisions from promotion and relegation from domestic leagues. Now that this has happened, I can't really see why folk are so desperate to white Knight the EPL, UEFA and FIFA, over and above  their own self interest. The ESl proposal actually quite interesting, especially the initial proposal to broadcast it for free. 

47 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, folk can't keep making the mistake of thinking that goals, scores, points and league positions mean anything to the people who are actually running this. What they are running is a financial institution. Its like the guys at the very top of someone like BP. Those guys neither know, nor do they care, anything about the process of extracting crude oil from the ground. LIV golf showed us that money will eventually overcome any resistance, not that we really needed told tbh. 

Generally speaking the ESL is about making money by attracting an audience, LIV golf is the opposite it's about spending money to attract an audience

And there seems to be some doubt over whether even that's worked
https://golf.com/news/liv-golf-quietly-stopped-reporting-tv-ratings/

Although I've little interest in Golf so hopefully someone better informed can elucidate on that

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Generally speaking the ESL is about making money by attracting an audience, LIV golf is the opposite it's about spending money to attract an audience

And there seems to be some doubt over whether even that's worked
https://golf.com/news/liv-golf-quietly-stopped-reporting-tv-ratings/

Although I've little interest in Golf so hopefully someone better informed can elucidate on that

But my point was LIV can and will shovel money at it until they get what they want. Thats what "the money" does. And thats why ultimately wherever the most money comes from will be who dominates football and sets the basis of competition

3 hours ago, sparky88 said:

The ESL's new proposal includes provisions from promotion and relegation from domestic leagues. Now that this has happened, I can't really see why folk are so desperate to white Knight the EPL, UEFA and FIFA, over and above  their own self interest. The ESl proposal actually quite interesting, especially the initial proposal to broadcast it for free. 

The promotion and relegation would be heavily caveated and would require teams to progress through each of Dante's 9 circles of hell twice before they got anywhere near the elite level - even for clubs from the bigger countries. Whatever you want to say about the current UEFA competitions, if you win your league you get into the elite competition the following season.

UEFA may have bad actors at the top of the organisation, but it is still at its heart a democratic body which represents all 55 nations of Europe and does distribute funds around all those nations, even if they could obviously do much better at it. The ESL would be a private entity whose only goal is to make money for themselves.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

But my point was LIV can and will shovel money at it until they get what they want. Thats what "the money" does. And thats why ultimately wherever the most money comes from will be who dominates football and sets the basis of competition

My point is that "what they want" isn't money

They've got that already

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Ain’t happening. Keith is on it.

Fairly sure theres already a law in place preventing British sides joining one, tbh.

On 21/12/2023 at 13:06, ClydeTon said:

The UK Government are looking at bringing in legislation to prevent English sides from joining the Super League.

This may be the first good thing the Tories have ever done.

I don't know how they could justify that - it seems like 'restraint of trade' which is contrary to all Tory principles.

But if they do, it will presumably be all UK teams, though that's probably academic.

1 minute ago, Stag Nation said:

And that law is?

GB3WE6BWMAADEEw.thumb.jpeg.e34c08973ce67d7375dffc83ea66442a.jpeg

Its not being passed through government yet, but by most accounts theyll do it pretty quickly now the super league threat has erupted again.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its not being passed through government yet, but by most accounts theyll do it pretty quickly now the super league threat has erupted again.

Genuinely think the government is overreaching there tbh, regardless of whether or not you like the concept. 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

In previous years I wouldn’t think such a law could pass, indeed I think it being proposed wasn’t in expectation that it could and was just being populist.  However, the government have shown a clear desire to railroad anything they want and just make it illegal for anyone to disagree.

Edited by parsforlife

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

As you have agreed, that's not a law, it's a proposal (and a half-baked one at that). And it's only aimed to address the English game, so I've heard no suggestion it would apply in Scotland.

35 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

As you have agreed, that's not a law, it's a proposal (and a half-baked one at that). And it's only aimed to address the English game, so I've heard no suggestion it would apply in Scotland.

Aye id just misremembered what i read when making my first post, tbh.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Also interesting how the proposed league set-up doesn't include the word "European". I guess they are already planning some room for some rich clubs from places like Saudi Arabia.

This is all about the Asian market. Particularly East Asia for the moment but with ever growing "potential" in South East Asia and South Asia. The West Asian market is less lucrative, there's fewer wealthy Saudi households than we might think, but they could definitely be involved in a pay-to-play sort of arrangement, ie. Arabian peninsula governments throwing buckets of sponsorship money at the whole thing to guarantee they get to be a part of it.

This isn't about Europe as the market has long since reached saturation level here, there's no more money to be squeezed from it.

5 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

This is all about the Asian market. Particularly East Asia for the moment but with ever growing "potential" in South East Asia and South Asia. The West Asian market is less lucrative, there's fewer wealthy Saudi households than we might think, but they could definitely be involved in a pay-to-play sort of arrangement, ie. Arabian peninsula governments throwing buckets of sponsorship money at the whole thing to guarantee they get to be a part of it.

This isn't about Europe as the market has long since reached saturation level here, there's no more money to be squeezed from it.

I live in South East Asia.  I know nobody that wakes/stays up at 02:00 to watch Champions League (I used to, but don't anymore, only for Scotland games). Everyone watches the highlights on Youtube the next day.  I'm sure there is a market out there, but not as big as people think, unless ko times are changed to noon in Europe.  That's not going to happen for midweek football.

There was a outside bar that opened up in town with a cinema size screen, that did a lot of marketing/promotion for LIVE games during the night.  It was open for 3 months...nobody went.