European Super League.

Lofarl

From what I see, much of this anger is driven by the assumption that the Big 6 are breaking away from the EPL completely, which doesn't seem to be the case.  Is it basically little more than the scrapping of the Champions League with its replacement being restricted to an elite group who want the guaranteed number of European games that they'd get if they reached the final stages of the CL? 

That’s their current plan but how long before they field their reserve teams in the EPL as it doesn’t matter where they finish anymore. How much of a financial advantage will they have over the other 14 teams when they’re raking in this additional income every season. The next step after this would be a total breakaway ESL.

Guest Bob Mahelp

There is a certain irony about Gary Neville ranting on about this on Sky....an organisation that has almost single-handedly poisoned football in the UK. 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

From what I see, much of this anger is driven by the assumption that the Big 6 are breaking away from the EPL completely, which doesn't seem to be the case.  Is it basically little more than the scrapping of the Champions League with its replacement being restricted to an elite group who want the guaranteed number of European games that they'd get if they reached the final stages of the CL? 

aye, but it will completely knacker domestic football.  What have these 6 teams in England for example got to play for in the EPL?  Get in the top four and what? oh they are in the Super league next season anyway so it doesnt matter.  West Brom away on Sunday lunch-time........send the reserves far bigger fish to fry in Milan on Wednesday.  They could get relegated from the EPl and what would the consequences be? - oh you are still guaranteed the Super League next season.  Forget the FA cup......

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Absolutely. And of it goes horrifically wrong and the anticipated demand doesn't materialise, Amazon are much better placed than the rest to take a bath on a couple of billion.

Key aspect is, as ever, what people are prepared to pay. I have a Prime subscription that will be thrown in the bin if they start chucking the price up for this. Maybe they'll create a new PPV service for it, probably priced at £25a month or something. 

A lot of football fans are mug punters so many will pay it despite the grumblings. 

Amazon wont increase the price of the Prime subscription. For them, sports rights are a loss leader to encourage people to take out a Prime subscription and then shop with Amazon at the expense of other retailers. 

It's a bit different from when the new league was formed here.  It was all the top sides in tbe country, so if strong "banning-type" action was taken by the SFA, there'd be nothing left.  The FIFA/UEFA feds could go nuclear... outright ban on transfers to and from the rebel 12/15/20, no Champs league or Europa league, no FIFA/UEFA registered officials, no FIFA/UEFA TV deal for any company involved in the new Frankenstein Champions league set-up and no international selections.  Without actions like that, it will go through and the further concentration of cash will carry on to tbe detriment of everyone else.  

Guest Bob Mahelp

English teams have been putting out reserve sides in the FA cup for years now. It started with the 'big' clubs that were challenging for the Premiership and in Europe, and has now spread as far as clubs that are in danger of being relegated from the Championship.

And all the time the guffie media bleat on about the 'best competition in the world'.  Don't even get me started on the League Cup. 

English football in general is a joke, controlled by obscene greed. 

Of course, you can guarantee that Celtic and Rangers are rubbing their hands at this nonsense. 

The Spanish, Italian and English leagues will fall flat on their arses without these teams. That's what this new mob will be banking on. The TV deal with Sky will also fall flat and the compensation Sky will seek as a result of the complete plunge in viewing figures is likely to be eye watering. 

This thing will happen because football in England, Spain and Italy no longer controls its own destiny - that's been sold for dollars years ago. Once Sky pull the plug on a league without 6 of its biggest teams, a number of the rest will go to the wall in a matter of months. 

Even if they were able to somehow avoid players being banned from World Cups and the Euro's, then I'd hope that each respective FA make it clear to the National Team manager that under no circumstances should they select any of these players in their squads.
So, while they won't technically be banned, they won't be playing in it.

That'd be a shitty situation for the players to be put in. Lawyers will certainly be making a few quid out of this mess.

I do find it interesting that this is essentially very similar to the FIFA backed super league which was in the news last October (Same financial backers for example).
In January the story moved to 'winners of the super league get entry into a FIFA club world cup', and now this...
There's so many balls in the air it's difficult to keep up. UEFA vs FIFA is still the elephant in the room in all of this.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

UEFA are a bit hypocritical here, when you look at the Champions League, it's exactly the same.

They don't want smaller country Champions polluting their Champions League, they will give them 3 qualifying rounds first, then they are Champions.

But 4th placed big league millionaire clubs, that have won absolutely f**k all in 20 years, they are Champions in UEFA's eyes.

This is one of the reasons I don't watch the Champions League anymore. It has absolutely nothing to do with merit.

UEFA set the wheels in motion for this entitled pish. I am just going to enjoy watching the fall out.

I agree.  If UEFA had still allowed all member association league champions into the Champions League but given the "big" leagues an extra place, I could probably go for that.  Telling member associations that their clubs have to pre-qualify with up to an extra 6 matches? Nah. Naked greed.  

29 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

aye, but it will completely knacker domestic football.  What have these 6 teams in England for example got to play for in the EPL?  Get in the top four and what? oh they are in the Super league next season anyway so it doesnt matter.  West Brom away on Sunday lunch-time........send the reserves far bigger fish to fry in Milan on Wednesday.  They could get relegated from the EPl and what would the consequences be? - oh you are still guaranteed the Super League next season.  Forget the FA cup......

It'll put the EPL on a par with the FA Cup in that winning it will be for nothing other than prestige.  The Big 6 stopped caring about the FA Cup ages ago but it hasn't seemed to bother them too much.

I can see an NFL style system in the future when they'll mix it up after fans get bored of the same teams after a few seasons.  An English division of six playing against an Iberian conference one season, a Central European division the next season, eventually an Asian division the season after that (whilst the Iberians play the Central Europeans) and so on.

Edited by Hedgecutter

9 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

UEFA are a bit hypocritical here, when you look at the Champions League, it's exactly the same.

They don't want smaller country Champions polluting their Champions League, they will give them 3 qualifying rounds first, then they are Champions.

But 4th placed big league millionaire clubs, that have won absolutely f**k all in 20 years, they are Champions in UEFA's eyes.

This is one of the reasons I don't watch the Champions League anymore. It has absolutely nothing to do with merit.

UEFA set the wheels in motion for this entitled pish. I am just going to enjoy watching the fall out.

The difference with the Champions League is that this format was determined by a democratic vote of the UEFA member nations. You can argue about the machinations going on in the background to make it happen, but fundamentally it was voted on by everyone. This is a completely different story.

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Of course, you can guarantee that Celtic and Rangers are rubbing their hands at this nonsense. 

Will they even get a sniff? The OF and their fans like to think they are considered on the world footballing stage but I'd be surprised if anyone setting up these types of Super League things even gives them a second thought. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Will they even get a sniff? The OF and their fans like to think they are considered on the world footballing stage but I'd be surprised if anyone setting up these types of Super League things even gives them a second thought. 

They'll be hoping for an invite doon South. Hence why the colt teams proposals are being ramped up

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If it goes ahead, it might make it a bit easier for Scottish clubs to hang around a bit in the CL/EL…?