Fun facts

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

It went on for 11 seasons.  The Korean War that it related to only lasted 3 years.

(Although some claim it never ended.)

Funnily enough, I watched it a couple of nights ago for the 1st time.

11 hours ago, Fullerene said:

It went on for 11 seasons.  The Korean War that it related to only lasted 3 years.

(Although some claim it never ended.)

But the Korean War was fought all the time, not half an hour a week.

15 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

And it didn't have a laughter track 

The laugh track is also omitted from some international and syndicated airings of the show; on one occasion during an airing on BBC2, the laugh track was accidentally left on, and viewers expressed their displeasure, an apology from the network for the "technical difficulty" was later released, as during its original run on BBC2 in the UK, it was shown without the laugh track. UK DVD critics speak poorly of the laugh track, stating "canned laughter is intrusive at the best of times, but with a programme like M*A*S*H, it's downright unbearable."[13]

M*A*S*H (TV series) - Wikipedia

58 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Useful to know when Spanish airport security ask if you are carrying any fruit or vegetables 😀

The good news is hijack is secuestrar or piratear…so it’s OK to yell hello at Jacques across a Spanish security checkpoint.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

The word "Idaho" has no meaning at all.

People thought it was some Native American Indian word but actually it is not.

Perhaps it derived from the first person to have to pay for sex in that state 

When people describe very cold snowy ice places as being dry, it’s actually an accidental ruse by eminent scientist Sir William Kelvin.  He once made the joke in a lecture and everyone believed him so he thought he would play along. On his death was his final words were “how can cold snowy icy places be dry, they’re made of water you utter trumpets, arrggghhhh”.

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

When people describe very cold snowy ice places as being dry, it’s actually an accidental ruse by eminent scientist Sir William Kelvin.  He once made the joke in a lecture and everyone believed him so he thought he would play along. On his death was his final words were “how can cold snowy icy places be dry, they’re made of water you utter trumpets, arrggghhhh”.

I think there is always a confusion about the words wet and dry.  Do they relate to the presence or absence of a liquid or do they relate to the presence or absence of water?  For example, "Dry cleaning" does involve the use of liquids but none of them are water.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Lionel Richie's song "All Night Long (All Night)" has some African-sounding lyrics in it, but they are gibberish. No meaning at all.

Similarly Vincent Van Gogh did some paintings that were inspired by Japan and appear to have some Kanji symbols. 

However these squiggles are not actual words in any language.

39 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I think there is always a confusion about the words wet and dry.  Do they relate to the presence or absence of a liquid or do they relate to the presence or absence of water?  For example, "Dry cleaning" does involve the use of liquids but none of them are water.

I’ve just realised this isn’t the “facts you made up” thread.

What a silly c**t I truly am.

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Lionel Richie's song "All Night Long (All Night)" has some African-sounding lyrics in it, but they are gibberish. No meaning at all. 

"Jambo" is Swahili for "Hiya" so I'm going for false. 

It's also Scots for "yo-yo diddies"