Time to go Steve Clarke

Old Bing

Just now, The Moonster said:

Come on, it's not like he's said that stuff 2 years ago, he said it in June. The stuff he's saying wasn't absolutely valid at the time, it's reactionary fan fickleness which has proven to be just that by actual, real events only 4 months later. There's no malice in craigkillie's post, simply emboldening parts which have turned out to be ridiculous. If we can't do that on a football forum then you're as well shutting it down. Should Bing not have been pulled up for starting the thread? Bing has held his hands up there and admitted he was wrong in the long run. Nobody has made any personal remarks, I don't see the issue here. 

I dont mind, but just to counter. There has been many many personal remarks.

Just now, Falcor Roar said:

Hand wringing nonsense. 

The criticism wasn't valid at the time. We qualified for our first tournament in 23 years. We lost the last two nations league games despite playing really well. It was obvious to most we were making good progress and that there was not an obvious  managerial replacement for Clarke to make things even better. There were plenty on this thread who replied to me as though I was an idiot for pointing this out so they can take their medicine now, that's what pnb is all about.

The idea that this criticism forces folk to defend their previous nonsense is laughable. That's not generally what's happened except in your case.

Having said all this I would be inclined to leave off Bing in particular as it's obvious he's had enough and the points been made. Probably Monkey Tennis too.

Hey man, I appreciate the sentiment of the post.

But me admitting I made a bad call is nothing to do with having had enough.

My position since the end of the euros has changed considerably. Due to the results and performance, 2nd one which have been improving all the time.

Hes also brought in some younger dynamic players which have really helped the team.

Some people will still think we did as good as we could have at the euros, but I'm still not agreeing to that. I think we underperformed, and tactically and personal wise got it wrong.

But fast forward to now, would I now change the manager. No, hes doing an excellent job. Im genuinely confident for the playoffs and further.

5 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

If you read back a couple of pages you will see the person who started the thread already admitting they got it wrong.

Im perfectly ok with being wrong and the team that I love winning.

😂 lighten up ffs 

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Hey man, I appreciate the sentiment of the post.

But me admitting I made a bad call is nothing to do with having had enough.

My position since the end of the euros has changed considerably. Due to the results and performance, 2nd one which have been improving all the time.

Hes also brought in some younger dynamic players which have really helped the team.

Some people will still think we did as good as we could have at the euros, but I'm still not agreeing to that. I think we underperformed, and tactically and personal wise got it wrong.

But fast forward to now, would I now change the manager. No, hes doing an excellent job. Im genuinely confident for the playoffs and further.

That's fine, I didn't say that you admitting you were wrong was related to my perception that you've had enough. I just thought that given you've conceded the point several times that's it's time for people to move on in your case.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

What's the intention in doing this? If, say, @DA Baracus whom you quote above is jumping about his living room and basking in the glow of a great Scotland victory, he may want to come on here and share the joy and love with his fellow Scotland fans. Instead he may find himself on the back foot, having to defend himself. I'm  making all of this up as I don't know the man, but you have to see how this "digging out" is designed to shame and denigrate rather than allowing someone to feel their own joy (and to share in yours) uninhibited.

As I said, wee guy behaviour. 

I understand this perspective, but I can't say it's one I agree with. I generally find DA Baracus to be a decent poster, so the intention was just light-hearted, and I would hope that nobody would be so bothered about a post on P&B that they wouldn't enjoy celebrating the result.

The poster in question was digging out other people (including me) for suggesting that we were still well in the group and had a great chance of making the playoffs and so on. I didn't have a problem with that, because disagreements are part of football forums, but I'd say that you can't post stuff without consequences, and the consequences are that you sometimes get pulled up like that when you get something wrong. Too many people online are utterly miserable about our prospects (or the prospects of their own clubs for that matter) and I actually think it's important to remind people that their fatalism is often misplaced and that they should look on the bright side sometimes.

The reaction to the Euros was pretty over the top to be fair. I can understand people's disappointment, but if the Euros (and by extension the playoffs) had actually taken place when they were supposed to rather than in 2021 then I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have even been there. We must have been one of the lowest ranked teams there, maybe only North Macedonia ranked lower?

Kazakhstan beat us 3-0 in March of 2019. 2 years and 9 months later we've been to our first major tournament in 23 years, qualified for the world cup playoffs, are selling out Hampden again and have a young and pretty exciting team to watch. The progression under Clarke has been amazing.

I think the gist of the thread morphed into questions remaining about Clarke and despite the win over Serbia those questions remained from December through to the Euros, performances at the Euros, and into the start of the WC qualifiers. MY contribution to the thread was that I just didn't see the sum of the parts of all the emerging top players reflected in the performances nor results. And to be fair, we were chronic for the most part as recently as away to the Faroes but in saying that, the players dug out the result. We were then fantastic against Moldova and I don't have the words for that first half against Denmark. I consider those earlier questions have been well and truly blown out the water and like everyone else on here I couldn't be happier. 

But those who did not comment either way at the time or those who said "we are where we should be" or something along those ridiculously bland lines, now appear to be crowing as if they predicted a performance like last night and a magnificent finish to the group. Real Nosferatu's to quote from another thread 🤣

On 12/11/2021 at 22:27, the snudge said:

Get it roon ye

Just looking thru the thread. You actually did quite alot of criticising Clarke yourself. Which I can quote if you like. And then write get it roon me😂

Talk about hunting for greens.

Get it roon yourself.

10 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Just looking thru the thread. You actually did quite alot of criticising Clarke yourself. Which I can quote if you like. And then write get it roon me😂

Talk about hunting for greens.

Get it roon yourself.

Did I? There's being critical of some decisions then there's creating a thread around getting shot of him. 

Did I want SC gone after the Euros? No, but I don't think it was entirely unreasonable that the suggestion was being made from some. Our results from the period that we beat Serbia until as late as June this year were poor to average at best.

I had major doubts about our chances of salvaging this WC group after the start we made and questioned his new contract being so lengthy (I appreciate that it seems this is the norm for the SFA - I was unaware of this at the time) but our results and then performances have drastically improved since then which has helped me change my opinion.

Football is a results driven business so I don't know why people are surprised that there were questions being asked when results weren't good and now people have changed their opinion after an upturn in results.

@BingMcCrosby you’re taking this a little too personal mate. It’s only meant to be a bit of a laugh. What’s done is done. Let’s move on eh? I’m done poking fun at my end. Let’s put a line through it and call a truce?  I was gonna send a DM but if it’s been out in the open all this time, I might as well keep it out there. 

I definitely have said daft stuff and I’m willing to be joked at for it. For a start, my mate once showed me this new gadget he got for Xmas called a “iPod”. I saw the expense of them and told him they would never take off.  That’s as big as a Homer Simpson reversing into a hedge as it gets! 

On 16/11/2021 at 08:25, BingMcCrosby said:

If you read back a couple of pages you will see the person who started the thread already admitting they got it wrong.

Im perfectly ok with being wrong and the team that I love winning.

You could just delete the thread. Or are you keeping it warm for the play-offs?

On 16/11/2021 at 17:03, GAD said:

The reaction to the Euros was pretty over the top to be fair. I can understand people's disappointment, but if the Euros (and by extension the playoffs) had actually taken place when they were supposed to rather than in 2021 then I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have even been there. We must have been one of the lowest ranked teams there, maybe only North Macedonia ranked lower?

Kazakhstan beat us 3-0 in March of 2019. 2 years and 9 months later we've been to our first major tournament in 23 years, qualified for the world cup playoffs, are selling out Hampden again and have a young and pretty exciting team to watch. The progression under Clarke has been amazing.

Spot on. 

Clarke himself would admit he made mistakes at the Euros and to a certain extent the players let him down a bit IMO. but he's the manager and takes the blame. 

Anyone wanting him out after that needed their head looked at though. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

You could just delete the thread. Or are you keeping it warm for the play-offs?

I dont really see the need to delete the thread, in general the discussion was constructive.

If you want to create a "time to stay steve Clarke" thread. Ill happily post on it.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Anyone wanting him out after that needed their head looked at though. 

Im sure you don't mean this in a literal sense.

But I think in these days phrases like this are outdated and unnecessary. Its ok for people to have a different opinion especially on something as trivial as football.