Raith Rovers v Ayr United

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

For all the pressure late on in the game, both Dick and Lang were outstanding. Dick was charging down everything and took a few sore ones as you say - he did sclaff a clearance at one point but aside from that looked composed. Lang has been a revelation though. Last season you always had a fear about the likes of Davidson and Mendy making absolute howlers. Berra and Lang are a huge upgrade on both of those two. 

I was thinking about this the other day, imagine we had this centre half pool of players in last seasons team..

You mean in the summer when we might be in League 1? Bemoaning the fact we should've acted more decisively when the Hopkin experience failed?
There's one way we seem to be heading and it ain't up the way. We're not even in November and we're hoping to limp our way through to January when as we know it's not a buyers market anyway. 
Whilst at the same time hoping to be able to lift the players and ourselves for mini cup finals against the teams around us. 
There's surely managers and coaches up and down the country who would be eager for a crack at proving themselves at a full time Championship club. 
In the bigger picture, this isn't good enough whatever way you look at it or want to dress it up. 

So you’d sack Duffy and just go and find someone “eager for a crack at full time football”.

Great plan, although if I may ask when they start to lose games or don’t try and attack every game what will you suggest then? Duffy isn’t the ideal manager but he’s getting more out the players than Hopkin was and to a certain extent Mark Kerr. Since Duffy has come in we’ve lost to Partick, Killie and Raith and we’ve beaten Dunfermline, Hamilton and QOS. He’s doing the job we need him to do and if he keeps it up there is no reason to replace him before the summer. It is entirely unnecessary at this point.

Played some lovely stuff in the 1st half and deservedly went in at half time 2 up,could have been more

Second half was awful,workrate dropped and too many players turned in below par performance.Some looked like they had a fish supper washed down with a few pints at half time

At the end of the day its all about winning and its another 3 points banked

Lang for me was MOTM

The only explanation for Zanatta getting MOTM could only be for his first 45 minutes and goal

2 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

The only explanation for Zanatta getting MOTM could only be for his first 45 minutes and goal

I think he worked back really well 2nd half and agree Lang was outstanding but didn’t have much to do first half, his goal was sublime as well so I think he just shaded it

Yeah, to go from Davidson and Mendy to Berra and Lang is just about as big an upgrade you can get at this level. Berra has been a revelation, so composed and barely breaks a sweat, just reads the game, never gets caught out of position and wins every single header.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yeah, to go from Davidson and Mendy to Berra and Lang is just about as big an upgrade you can get at this level. Berra has been a revelation, so composed and barely breaks a sweat, just reads the game, never gets caught out of position and wins every single header.

It sounds daft to say, but he's one of the most underrated signings we've had over the last few years. Ex-Scotland internationalist who has played down south but some people seemed to write him off as being a broken footballer with no ability. People, whether from our fan base or elsewhere, wrote him off as fodder but he's been a huge player for us. Even now you'll still see the occasional comment from people about how he's a carthorse. 

Adeloye chucking the toys out of the pram in the second half made him  the Ayr MotM for me, the silly arse was lucky not to be booked the amount of time he threw himself to ground looking for a foul.

Edited by Zen Archer (Raconteur)

It was a nice day for football and we played well first half and went in deservedly a couple of goals up. Second half we did our usual, invited pressure, conceded a goal, and but for a great save from Jamie MacDonald Ayr would have got a draw. Still, we got the 3 points, so you can’t really complain. The plan worked. Again.

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It sounds daft to say, but he's one of the most underrated signings we've had over the last few years. Ex-Scotland internationalist who has played down south but some people seemed to write him off as being a broken footballer with no ability. People, whether from our fan base or elsewhere, wrote him off as fodder but he's been a huge player for us. Even now you'll still see the occasional comment from people about how he's a carthorse. 

On the Berra signing, he has been immense for us. McGlynn gets it right again.

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Well, there's a lot to be said for grinding out a result, and that collapse doesn't happen if we've got either Matthews or Spencer on the park, but we should've been out of sight with how poor Ayr were in the first half. 

Credit to the back four and the defence. When everyone else lost their heads, they more-or-less managed to keep theirs, Berra and Lang in particular. They were imperious. Lang a standout man of the match, for me. 

Agree with all of this. 

For as disjointed as we were in the second half, actually coming through that 20 minutes and holding out for the win could be huge for us given some of our collapses this season. 

I was delighted to see the celebrations between the back four and MacDonald at the end. They earned it. 

Have to say Jamie McDonald was raging when we conceeded the goal, booted the post and screamed "every fucking week", not blaming BRS for the goal but when the ball was cut back he was behind the guy who scored, FFS get in front of your man, positianally the guy is a headless chicken, not the worst player in a Rovers shirt I've seen but I think he's out of his depth at this level.

It was their own at Arbroath where the team bus was seemingly similarly treated. Other minor? incidents also being mentioned.

It's the start of the Revolution. Let them eat cake! No! Make that humble pie!😉

Edited by embow

1 hour ago, pantene proV said:

Erm, apart from being our best player in the first half? He had the whole midfield to cover in the 2nd with Spencer off, Matthews missing, Ross tiring and BRS just being generally an awful player.

Yeah I thought Tait was very good in the first half. He's still young and it was probably too much for him to have to carry BRS without Matthews or Spencer there to help out. 

17 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I think Lang is well positioned to replace Berra after next season, if not before. Berra is a magnificent asset, and absolutely critical to the team as much as a steadying voice and experienced hand as he is at LCH. I see Lang stepping in now and then for Bene and Berra this year, and more next year, as JMcG’s vision. With Musonda’s injuries hampering his salability, it may be that he’s the next natural replacement at RCH for Bene, but I suspect that McKay was (is?) JMcG’s plan there over the next few seasons.

On the Berra signing, he has been immense for us. McGlynn gets it right again.
Absolutely spot on. Thought he was motm today. Made some absolutely superb blocks and looked like he was telling McGlynn we needed another midfielder on at one point.

For me he, MacDonald and Laing were the only players who had a bit of composure in the 2nd half. The way he leads the team, whether Bene is captain or not, is superb. He's always talking to those around him.

We should have been more up at half time but as others have said Spencer going off kills us. Without him or Matthews we don't have a midfield so with that, plus having had a match with 10 men last weekend and an away derby midweek I'll take the 3 points today and move on.

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

As we all know McGlynn has his favourites and Bene will be back regardless of how well Lang plays.

To be fair, you thought Varian was on the bench for show, so won't hold my breath here.