Normal Island

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

I think they should have stuck the laser in a certain famous BBC prop (to the left in the picture) just to make the rest of the world shit itself:

dalek.jpg.e08a03bb30d55813efe4eafc63f336e9.jpg

I’d be fine, I live on the third floor. 

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

That surprised me too. Why mention it?

A beam of light travels at the speed of light.

To be pedantic, light travels very slightly slower through an atmosphere (around 50,000 metrs per second slower)

The speed of light is defined by its speed in vacuum

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

To be pedantic, light travels very slightly slower through an atmosphere (around 50,000 metrs per second slower)

The speed of light is defined by its speed in vacuum

Let me up the pedantry stakes...

You are correct in that light in a vacuum is the measured and fastest "Speed of light". But the light in the atmosphere, whilst slower, is still the speed of light. Also underwater - a different speed but still the speed of light.

It's like the speed of Usain Bolt. He's been measured doing 100 metres in ideal conditions. Make him wear an oodie and flip flops and run it again, it would be slower but would still be his speed.

17 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Let me up the pedantry stakes...

You are correct in that light in a vacuum is the measured and fastest "Speed of light". But the light in the atmosphere, whilst slower, is still the speed of light. Also underwater - a different speed but still the speed of light.

It's like the speed of Usain Bolt. He's been measured doing 100 metres in ideal conditions. Make him wear an oodie and flip flops and run it again, it would be slower but would still be his speed.

To up the pedantry stakes yet further, (the speed of light) is a universal physical constant. If light is travelling through a material, it will be slowed by thar material's refractive index (n). The measured speed (v) is equal to c/n. In all cases, however, c = 299,792,458 metres per second.

It's not like the speed of Usain Bolt at all. Even in ideal conditions, his times will not be constant. Otherwise he would equal his world record every time conditions were 'right'

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

To up the pedantry stakes yet further, (the speed of light) is a universal physical constant. If light is travelling through a material, it will be slowed by thar material's refractive index (n). The measured speed (v) is equal to c/n. In all cases, however, c = 299,792,458 metres per second.

It's not like the speed of Usain Bolt at all. Even in ideal conditions, his times will not be constant. Otherwise he would equal his world record every time conditions were 'right'

Yes...but v is still the speed of light 😄

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Yes...but v is still the speed of light 😄

I don’t wish to be a pedant but it’s widely accepted that v is velocity.  Upper case V used to represent the speed of light but it’s been accepted as c for decades.

In a previous life, I laser scanned historic sites. Castles, cityscapes, industrial heritage and so on.

If you want something that sounds cool and interesting but is, in reality, tedious and boring, this is it.

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Least I don't have to worry about my insomnia tonight, I'll just read through all this lazer chat. Cheers fellas 

You'll struggle to get any zzz's in a laser chat.

Edited by Loonytoons
Made a spelling mistake while pointing out a spelling mistake

3 hours ago, wellwoodpar said:

Depends if you are the poor B8stard who have had their Cancer op Cancelled to push another Royal Leech to the front of the Queue.

No one ever has been bumped for a royal on the NHS. Those leeches wouldn't be near an NHS establishment if actually I'll.

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

No one ever has been bumped for a royal on the NHS. Those leeches wouldn't be near an NHS establishment if actually I'll.

Aye but the NHS list for the day will get cancelled so the consultant can head off to do his private work

On 20/01/2024 at 20:46, RH33 said:

I'm assuming Kate's had an appendicitis or hysterectomy which most of us would be chucked out after couple days. But royalty and that.

Yeah, the day after the operation I had an irate administrator at my bed demanding to know when I was leaving.

For the former; I haven't had the latter yet.

On 20/01/2024 at 22:02, scottsdad said:

Clitoris enlargement, for improved pegging experience.

You forgotten the meltdown last time you implied one of your betters might enjoy sexual activity?  :lol:

On 20/01/2024 at 22:30, DA Baracus said:

"The speed of light"

Aye, right you are

Hate to be pedantic but actually he is wrong.

The laser beam will travel from the laser to the target at the speed of light but the cutting action will be along a different axis and will certainly be considerably slower.

On 21/01/2024 at 21:04, Left Back said:

I don’t wish to be a pedant but it’s widely accepted that v is velocity.  Upper case V used to represent the speed of light but it’s been accepted as c for decades.

P&Bers- do you know anyone who has been accepted as a c for decades....