Normal Island

Warning supermarket loyalty 'challenges' could cause overspending - BBC News

New supermarket "challenges" that reward shoppers with extra loyalty points for buying more could lead to overspending, consumer groups have warned.

Four of the UK's biggest supermarkets - Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda and Morrisons - are now offering members of their loyalty schemes bonus points if they hit spending targets.

The supermarkets all say their schemes offer customers better value and more personalised savings.

But consumer group Which? and debt charity StepChange warned that setting shopping challenges could encourage people to spend more than they can afford.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

I haven't shopped in Tesco ever since they made different prices for club card customers. I'd rather buy my shopping without being bombarded with advertising nonsense and having to share all my details to whoever they decide to sell them to

If it means I get 50p off my Meal Deal then I couldn't give a shit if they know I like Sugar Free Red Bull and a Cesar Wrap tbh 

3 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

If it means I get 50p off my Meal Deal then I couldn't give a shit if they know I like Sugar Free Red Bull and a Cesar Wrap tbh 

Targeted ads for chew toys and worming tablets incoming.

6 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

They're not giving you money off. They're raising the price then letting you buy it at the original price by signing up.

21 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

They're not giving you money off. They're raising the price then letting you buy it at the original price by signing up.

This is it. I used to be in there all the time, especially for a meal deal if I was near one during lunch but I'm not being held to ransom by them for not joining their daft club... I just want a BLT, a packet of crisps and a juice! 

Police blamed after human error led to M9 tragedy - BBC News

Just short of 9 years from the accident occurring to the Fatal Accident Inquiry concluding. So long has passed the sheriff made not 1 recommendation - as all been implemented already or now irrelevant.

This case took 10yrs: Aberdeen police custody death 'might have been avoided' - BBC News

Ludicrous system.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Just short of 9 years from the accident occurring to the Fatal Accident Inquiry concluding. So long has passed the sheriff made not 1 recommendation - as all been implemented already or now irrelevant.

This case took 10yrs: Aberdeen police custody death 'might have been avoided' - BBC News

Ludicrous system.

Radio Scotland had a senior polis on in relation to this. Spent almost the entire interview going on about how underfunded the force is.

23 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Tesco is a bump these days even with a Clubcard. On the odd occasion I shop there I’m always perplexed when I find out the total at the till.

Try shopping at Zabka in Poland,truly perplexing

On 31/05/2024 at 12:47, HibeeJibee said:

Ludicrous system.

Still no comment on the earlier human error that led to the situation in the first place?  I understand the need to ensure services are working correctly but they should still acknowledge that, in 99.9% of car crashes, the car doesn't fly off the road on it's own.  Somewhere there has to be responsibility on the poor decisions we make.

37 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

they should still acknowledge that, in 99.9% of car crashes, the car doesn't fly off the road on it's own. 

giphy(1).gif.866b97853d7bf9dc1a4bfc6ec21007ff.gif

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Great way of honouring the non-English veterans here:

Screenshot_20240605-171524.thumb.png.bccfb134a8d5014f07a8efd3c273c338.png

"Remembrance"? Stupid cnut doesn't even know what makes up the UK.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland getting their usual respect.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

"Remembrance"? Stupid cnut doesn't even know what makes up the UK.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland getting their usual respect.

It's a quote from a 1914 Rupert Brooke poem 

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/13076/the-soldier

He died on the way to Gallipoli in 1915

In terms of remembrance it fall more on the "glorious and noble sacrifice" side than the "senseless waste of young lives, horrors of war..." side of things, which isn't to my taste, but if you're addressing a military audience then it's probably best to stay away from Wilfred Owen

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46560/dulce-et-decorum-est

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)