Normal Island

42 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Not sure this is the thread for this but

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd1ddegp8zvo

Children starting primary one in nappies, unable to communicate properly.  Parents saying "he wasn't interested in potty training so we never did it".  Were you waiting for him to send you a formal communication?  Fucking hell.

The details of the anxiety experienced by the older children are insane as well.  Kids who literally cannot go into school, turning back at the car park or reception.  Forest schools, in my experience, are for nursery aged kids but apparently secondary aged pupils attend them now to learn 'bushcraft'.  It's a massive cliche to say "oh you can't be coddled in the workplace like you are at school/university" but fucking hell, what's going to happen to kids who are too anxious to go into the school building when they try to have a life as adults? 

Has it always been like this?  Were a significant percentage of kids in school always just extremely miserable and uncomfortable and it was just glossed over?  

No.  This has been the result of many years of government policy whereby they want children to be treated in the same way as adults as if a child always knows what they want or what is best for them. 

Care settings have to ask the child what they want when it comes to eating, playing etc. instead of treating them like children and having them do things that they may not choose to do but actually increases their experiences and helps them deal with other worldly situations where they may not naturally feel confident.  Parents have been conditioned like this as well. 

It's amazing how many children that I see that will eat and behave differently when they are removed for their home environment.    Why cook them special meals when you have been told by the nursery/childminder that they eat all these foods that they tell parents they don't like.  The parents take the easy option and don't force issues.  In particular kids that "only eat pizza" or other such nonsense.

As much as I despise them, this isn't on the Tories. Entitled arseholes who live on benefits because "Mental Health" are the problem here, thir little ones are trained to get get ADHD and Autism from birth bcos phree munny! I married into scum like that & they freely swop tips to move to areas where the GPs will sign off anything to get some, very well paid peace.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Has it always been like this?  Were a significant percentage of kids in school always just extremely miserable and uncomfortable and it was just glossed over?  

People are literally destroying their children’s brains by putting a screen in front of them 24/7. At least before if you stuck a child in front of kids TV it was occasionally educational and wasn’t designed to be like crack for them, but there is basically no control on what you can put on your phone or tablet for them. 

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

As much as I despise them, this isn't on the Tories. Entitled arseholes who live on benefits because "Mental Health" are the problem here, thir little ones are trained to get get ADHD and Autism from birth bcos phree munny! I married into scum like that & they freely swop tips to move to areas where the GPs will sign off anything to get some, very well paid peace.

..."and this is why I shall be reluctantly voting for Reform UK at the coming elections"  :P

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

People are literally destroying their children’s brains by putting a screen in front of them 24/7. At least before if you stuck a child in front of kids TV it was occasionally educational and wasn’t designed to be like crack for them, but there is basically no control on what you can put on your phone or tablet for them. 

It just makes me sad when I'm on the bus and people have their toddler in a stroller, hand them a tablet to stare at, and then zone out staring out the window or sit texting on their phone.

Kids are amazing at that age. Everything is new to them, so you can sit chatting away to them and show them stuff going by the window and they're enraptured by it. You're essentially the voice of God to them at that point. Even strangers getting on the bus are fascinating to young kids; if they have a dug with them, it's the highlight of their day. Just trying to work out what must be going on in their heads is entertaining.

I'm not going to get all Tory about it; they're secretly in love with "bad parents" as they feel superior by comparison. It just makes me sad for both the parents and the kids for what they're missing out on.

Plenty of people are at it like @Moomintroll says. You are naive if you think otherwise.

My sister is an expert at it and hasn't worked for over 20 years. Her 4 children (all of whom are diagnosed with something) will grow up and do the exact same as her and the cycle will continue. 

Aye, that's rather the point. Banging on about what people at the bottom end of society should and shouldn't be entitled to while those at the top are creaming off the real money for themselves. This would be an excellent time for Oaksoft to bring back his Tory Boy persona.

When the welfare state has been wound up and the workhouses reintroduced, at least we'll know that lying bitch Senga at #17 isn't getting PIP.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, that's rather the point. Banging on about what people at the bottom end of society should and shouldn't be entitled to while those at the top are creaming off the real money for themselves. This would be an excellent time for Oaksoft to bring back his Tory Boy persona.

When the welfare state has been wound up and the workhouses reintroduced, at least we'll know that lying bitch Senga at #17 isn't getting PIP.

Crawford isn't saying that, he's pointing out that plenty of people are at it which is to the detriment of those who genuinely are in need.  

You of course know that but are playing to the gallery. 

1 minute ago, Rosey1889 said:

Crawford isn't saying that, he's pointing out that plenty of people are at it which is to the detriment of those who genuinely are in need.  

Absolutely. 

I am not, and never will be against the welfare state. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Rosey1889 said:

He isn't saying what?

Edit: no, seriously, what do you think I was saying about him there? He seems to think I was accusing him of being against the welfare state, where my point was that we all end up bleating about some waster we know with their Sky TV and mobile phone while the folk at the top use that as fuel to take away what people need. I'm not sure what your problem is.

Edited by BFTD

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Some kids screamed blue murder on their first day at the primary. It was always thus, and even more so in the days before they already had several years at nursery under their belts. The difference then (rightly or wrongly) is that nobody pandered to them, they just had to get on with it, and by the end of the first week the vast majority were doing just fine.

28 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

British Royal Family Portraits - Official Portraits of the Royal Family

That's a very fair point. A disabled relative of ours receives PIP and has a blue badge.  Every so often he has to confirm that his PIP (changing to ADP) status hasn't improved and he has to similarly apply to renew his blue badge every couple of years.  Who was on the interview panel when King Chuck got his job? What forms does he have to fill in every couple of years to apply for and maintain his state support? Oh, no, silly me. He got his job because of who his mum was, apparently under the supervision of the supreme creator of the universe.  😁