Normal Island

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

She can stay down south, there's already enough c**** swanning about in Sheffield who work from home 3 days a week and in the office in London the other 2. London weighted wages driving up house prices.

Yea, kinda the same.

"Last year, there was a band that I love, and that my partner and my son love, but to go and see them, tickets were £80. We didn't go."

This does ring true, can't mind how/when it started exactly (ticketmaster? metallica jacking up prices and other acts following suit?) but I had a quick look online and its full of pish like this:

image.png.a9794c8e9922cb39673107f5310e1fc1.png

£100+ to see John Mayer, whoever that is.

image.png.d7e50f98529c27463cac5cd19138f995.png

£42.50+ to see The Gaslight Anthem, whoever they are.

So do I - she's either an entitled snob, or a fictional entity created for the purposes of satire.

She added: "Those that are wealthy remain very wealthy, those that are on lower incomes have access to benefits, but it's always been the people in the middle who are stuck."

They could quit their jobs and get something minimum wage if they're genuinely thick enough to believe Universal Credit will make them better off. Life would be so much easier too, considering she works "really, really hard" and clearly thinks people on lower wages don't. Might struggle to claim though, considering they'd need to have less than £16,000 in the bank to be eligible, but they obviously won't because they're so hard up. Right?

Also, working 50+ hours per week and earning £22,000pa as a self-employed childminder? Get your CV in at McDonalds hen - literally everyone pays better than that.

She doesn't look like she goes lots of bike rides, so I'm not entirely sure I believe the rest of the article, especially the "we didn't buy a house we couldn't afford" but a 4 bed house in the south of England must cost a good half million at least. 

I also don't think she works 50 hours per week and earns only 22k.

None of this adds up.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

She doesn't look like she goes lots of bike rides, so I'm not entirely sure I believe the rest of the article, especially the "we didn't buy a house we couldn't afford" but a 4 bed house in the south of England must cost a good half million at least. 

None of this adds up.

She's a self employed childminder, but with admin staff and training etc also cited. It sounds like a business/care centre rather than just her as a one woman show. I'd wager that she declares £22k rather than earns £22k. Sitting in her leather chair with an extensive library behind her and their own kayaks in the garage. Just struggling like anyone on minimum wage in a council estate home or shitty overpriced rental waiting on all of their offspring tawdling off to University. 

What will all the other half a million pound homed, Waitrose shopping, avocado eating mummies at the gates of St Middleclass Grammar for the Entitled think when they see she's stooped to this article? Ghastly I say, utterly ghastly.

4 hours ago, velo army said:

None of this adds up.

I suspect that they bought a home they could afford on the proviso that interest rates remained negligible for the duration of a long mortgage 

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I suspect that they bought a home they could afford on the proviso that interest rates remained negligible for the duration of a long mortgage 

My thinking was how do you get a mortgage on a half million house when you're only earning £60k between you. As I said, the wages stated don't massively add up. I'm assuming the half mil, but it's the south of England and it's a 4 (four) bed house, so that should be about right, mibbe even under.

Lehs, I suspect.

8 hours ago, velo army said:

None of this adds up.

It certainly does add up for childminders.  If they can't fill their spaces they can work for as little as £4 odds an hour.  They are also limited to 3 kids pre school age which curtails their earning ability.  She is doing well earning £22k tbh.

Edited by strichener

20 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm due a check-up at the dentist. Earliest appointment was the 1st of May.

Just be thankful that it’s this year.

I’m hearing that checkups at some dentists are being moved out from 6 months to 12.

On 28/02/2024 at 11:01, ICTChris said:

Mixed feelings indeed, shes doing a very terrible job of complaining that the cost of living has risen. But you have to consider that as a middle class person living in the south of England that given these people have a tendency to vote tory/lib dem then they have got what they voted for. Save me the avocado pish, but yes mortgages, eating out and entertainment for kids is a rip, i recently attended a willy wonka exhibit in Glasgow and things were so bad the kids only got a 1/4 cup of lemonade and a manic oompa loompa giving out 1 flump per group. 

1 hour ago, MacDuffman said:

From https://uk.talent.com/salary?job=childminder

The average childminder salary in the United Kingdom is £28,039 per year or £14.38 per hour. Entry level positions start at £23,400 per year while most experienced workers make up to £60,214 per year.

So she's either crap or lying

I'm not sure that you know what the word average means.  What I know for a fact is the my wife does not earn enough as a Childminder to pay tax after her job expenses such as food for the kids, heat, power, wear and tear, toys, excursions etc. etc. have been taken into account.  Even if she was earning the average that you have obtained from a less than reliable source then £22k is still not what is "earned"

Do neither of these women (Mrs Strichener and the lady in question) have skills or qualifications that can earn them more than the babysitting gig? I'm not trying to be facetious here, but I think if you're someone with childcare qualifications then you could be a classroom assistant for £18k and earn the extra £4k doing some sessional care work. That's £333 per month, or 30 hours over the month doing care work (1.5 shifts per week) which is significantly lower than the 50 hours quoted. I know that childminders are in a bind as they love their work and aren't unionised so couldn't just agree to all ask for a higher rate without one undercutting the other, so I get why the wages have stayed shite.