Normal Island

On 22/07/2024 at 01:13, Boo Khaki said:

Why nobody has done a Dean Corll docudrama/miniseries is beyond me. He makes the Moors murderers look like petty criminals.

A gay guy killing boys isn't as repellent to the public as a woman doing it.

On 22/07/2024 at 00:09, Boo Khaki said:

Always piss myself laughing at this ridiculous idea that things were much "safer" in the auld days. Speaking as someone with an unhealthy obsession with historical, sadistic crimes and serial killers, it's absolutely not the case.

It probably did seem safer though which psycologically means more than official crime statistics.

Unless something actually impacted you or someone you knew you probably weren't aware of much outside. of the main news or the local press..  

Whereas today we get bombarded with all the bad news from everywhere in the world, 24 hours a day.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It probably did seem safer though which psycologically means more than official crime statistics.

Unless something actually impacted you or someone you knew you probably weren't aware of much outside. of the main news or the local press..  

Whereas today we get bombarded with all the bad news from everywhere in the world, 24 hours a day.

The perception having a bigger impact than the reality.

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

A lot would have gone unreported at the time. 

There are so many historic sex crimes coming to light these days. Which kinda suggests that there's never been a golden era when everybody was safe.

5 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

480 thousand pounds a year to read the news.

Wow.

roger.jpg.e76805752cc1e16cfcd8083ad28d44fd.jpg

Here Tom, there's some cnut doesn't think I'm worth that money. F*ck him

15 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Loved this “map” and its comparison. It’s so true, as parents paranoia with kidnapping and such has massively reduced children’s ability to roam. I know it’s very true from actual experience.

IMG_9176.thumb.jpeg.7f6c21f8421af406a967bdc89473bac5.jpeg

39 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Loved this “map” and its comparison. It’s so true, as parents paranoia with kidnapping and such has massively reduced children’s ability to roam. I know it’s very true from actual experience.

I kind of get it in cities especially when you would just be out playing on the streets. But I wonder if it’s the same for rural or semi rural kids. 

Growing up in the mid 2000/2010s we could go anywhere from pretty much as young as I can remember and was 11/12 before our wee friends all got the bus 10 miles to Kirkcaldy I’m not sure if we had mobile phones I think one of us might have. 

17 minutes ago, 101 said:

I kind of get it in cities especially when you would just be out playing on the streets. But I wonder if it’s the same for rural or semi rural kids. 

Growing up in the mid 2000/2010s we could go anywhere from pretty much as young as I can remember and was 11/12 before our wee friends all got the bus 10 miles to Kirkcaldy I’m not sure if we had mobile phones I think one of us might have. 

I know from my experience of having kids in a city that it definitely makes a difference. When we took them to the country they were allowed to ramble off for ages. 

The wife thought they'd get abducted in the city. I disagreed but didn't force the issue because i was quite worried about the busy roads and all the wee virgins doing 70 in a 30 in purple BMWs. Less chance of being run over by a shire horse pulling a beer wagon over cobbles. 

In 1919 the bit we live in was the countryside. 

When I was a kid we'd probably stay within a 1.5 mile radius of home, more just that seemed a long way when you were a kid rather than any parent imposed limit.

We'd some times go to Motherwell baths on a Friday evening on our bikes and that was about 4 miles there and 4 miles back, get a roll and chips out Marcantonio's when have to push our bikes back up the long steep the hill past Ravenscraig steelworks and home in time to watch 'Manimal' on TV.

Sorry, I'm getting all nostalgic, I've just turned 50. 🤣

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

My house is on this map.

Could have been me.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

When I was a kid we'd probably stay within a 1.5 mile radius of home, more just that seemed a long way when you were a kid rather than any parent imposed limit.

We'd some times go to Motherwell baths on a Friday evening on our bikes and that was about 4 miles there and 4 miles back, get a roll and chips out Marcantonio's when have to push our bikes back up the long steep the hill past Ravenscraig steelworks and home in time to watch 'Manimal' on TV.

Sorry, I'm getting all nostalgic, I've just turned 50. 🤣

Glen A Larceny at his best/worst. 

ETA - though this must have been a memorable yet short-lived routine for you as that show got cancelled after about half a dozen episodes.....

3 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I think we all pine for the noble paedos of bygone eras.

When the promise of a simple bag of sweets or a van full of puppies was all it took. Online grooming just doesnt isn't the same.

I hope that one day all the old school nonces are pardoned.

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

When the promise of a simple bag of sweets or a van full of puppies was all it took. Online grooming just doesnt isn't the same.

I hope that one day all the old school nonces are pardoned.

Apart from the one dressed as an old school, he really is a shit. 

IMG_4340.jpeg.495aa77a6f6d71a515a507f644b3e843.jpeg

Wonder whereabouts on that map of Sheffield he is these days?