Germany and the Nazis

Sortmeout

1 minute ago, beefybake said:

Cake..  ?  What kind of cake ?

I've never heard of Berlin cake .

Just cake. Big chocolate cakes, cream gateaux things… In cafes, and even in the cafe in the German History Museum… their strawberry cream cake. Feck’ me. Heaven on a plate. Never mind their chocolates too.That chocolate shop, Fassbender & Rausch. The Berliner hot dogs with the curry sauce… in fact, Berlin was one of the best foodie places I’ve ever been. The beer… I want to go back tomorrow. 😎

When the WW1 centenary was happening it was mentioned that the British graveyards get much more visitors from people tracing their ancestors resting place and that the German graveyards are less visited.

I did go to the Eintracht Frankfurt museum (worth a visit) a couple of years ago and they didn't shy away from mentioning the Nazi period.

14 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Even if you accept that the Nazis were a bunch of evil shits, it must be tricky in history classes that the Germans are not allowed to cheer on their own country in any way.

"At this point, the Bismarck fired a single shell and HMS Hood, the mightiest ship in the Royal Navy, exploded and sank within minutes".

"Yes.  You Beauty.  I mean, no, how dreadful.  What a terrible thing to happen".

Yes, it still can be tricky.

I follow some writers' blogs . One of them is about history, and a while back one writer posted

about something in Germany/WW2.  I commented, and included a mention of my

former neigbours, a German couple.  I recounted that he and I shared an interest in cars, and in general,

he, she and I got on fine. I then said ... " ... course, I do occasionally have a peek out my front window

to make sure they're not massing their bedding plants on my borders...".   Comment was deleted.

Edited by beefybake

We went on a school trip to Alsace-Lorraine and went across a dam on the Rhine, spending about 5 minutes in Germany. In that whole time not one of them apologised for the whole holocaust thing. It's about time they took some responsibility. Although to be fair we kept quiet about burning Dresden. 

One thing I always feel we should do is remember the fallen during WW1 on all sides in the Remembrance commemorations. 
Facism throughout Europe got a massive boost following that omnishambles. 
Spellism and grammarism is taking a f*cking hammering on this thread, though........ "Nazi's, facism"
Are Boyz didn't fight in the trenches and on the beaches so that you higgorant bassas could shitehouse your way through life.... etc., etc.,.......

3 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

It really depends on who you’re speaking to. We had friends over from Munich who were properly shocked when they overheard someone talking about Nazis (not towards them but in conversation) and couldn’t believe it would be so openly discussed, but then we visited them in Munich and one of their flat mates was constantly pointing out different Nazi places or things. 

Your friends probably warned them you came from a Naziphile neighbourhood...

46 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Spellism and grammarism is taking a f*cking hammering on this thread, though........ "Nazi's, facism"
Are Boyz didn't fight in the trenches and on the beaches so that you higgorant bassas could shitehouse your way through life.... etc., etc.,.......

I've always wondered if all facists are rascist?

When I first visited Berlin, you had to know where buildings to do with the period of the third reich were, or where they once stood.  When I went back in 2019 there was tourist information boards at Hitlers bunker and the massive air ministry building.  There was even adverts to come and check out Hitlers other bunker.  Give it 10 years and I expect it to get even more like that.

I think Germany as a whole has realised that people are interested in this period and they may as well not hide or try and cover it up.

This channel is pretty cool to see the now and then.  Once you get past the over dramatic music.  

Edited by Lofarl

The German girl that I work with has noted and highlighted the British obsession with Nazi documentaries, which she reckons is just a reflection of Brits hanging on to former glories seeing as there hasn't been much to celebrate ever since.

She also gets annoyed when folk give it the "don't mention the war" pish as (according to her) it's something that they do still mention over there.  The theory is that if they talk about it then it reduces the chance of anything similar happening again.

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

When the WW1 centenary was happening it was mentioned that the British graveyards get much more visitors from people tracing their ancestors resting place and that the German graveyards are less visited.

Regarding the Eastern Front in WW2 it is often the case that the German graveyards no longer exist.  The Russians obliterated them.

There were a few on the western front.  Ronald Reagan went to visit one in Bitsburg.   Resulting in an excellent single by the Ramones.