Players you never quite got the hype around

9 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Most of the current Man U squad obviously excepting Ronaldo and Fernandes. 

Don’t think you can mention those two in the same breath tbh. Fernandes always seems to be anonymous against the better teams in the league and during his time in Seria A and in England, the so called bigger leagues, he’s not won anything. 

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

John Robertson.

Which one?

The Forest guy

The Hearts guy

The one who played for Whitehill

The one currently playing for Edinburgh City and shows a bit of effort amidst a sea of bone idle shagbags

48 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I know this was clearly tongue in cheek but it’s just reminded me how absolutely mental the media response was to him joining rangers. 

You’d think they’d signed a gazza or a laudrup again. I distinctly remember the bbc doing a minute by minute update piece on his debut against Hamilton. 

Of course, this all contributed to how funny it was the way it all ended. 

I done it for you M8

On 03/11/2021 at 06:21, Theyellowbox said:

I've got a vague recollection of him nearly joining a team in Italy, Sampdoria maybe?

Possibly McStay in a different boat to others as for the peak of his career, the wages he'd have got elsewhere, while likely larger, would not have been multiples to what he was on.

While I get the desire for folk to maybe stay at their club they support, there is an element of what if for some of these guys, which makes judging hype about them difficult. For example, I think guys like James Forrest for example would struggle in England and so has been wise to stay in Scotland but McGregor has made the same choice, but would fo well. 

Udinese IIRC. 

On 05/11/2021 at 15:29, craigkillie said:
On 05/11/2021 at 10:47, Hoose Rice said:

Fletcher was not "fuckin' crap for Scotland", that's another one of those acid tests I mentioned earlier.

also 100%

Haven’t read the thread, so apologies if mentioned (it probably has), but at the risk of attracting flak - I don’t get the amount of current ‘hype’ surrounding Jamie McGrath. I’ve been watching St Mirren since 1976 and while an excellent player, I’ve seen a ton more in the stripes who I understood the ‘hype’ about. I’m not feeling it about McGrath. My opinion.

Edit to add: In my opinion, in using the term ‘hype’, I mean by it, a player who is standing out at a ‘small club like St Mirren’. A player whom the bigger boys are ready to snap up, and who is talked about in terms along the lines of ‘St Mirren will do well to hold onto…. is destined for bigger things…should be at a higher level’ etc.

Just off the top of my head, I absolutely felt all of that about Tony Fitzpatrick, Lewis Morgan, Frank McAvennie, Steve Clarke, Bobby Reid, Frank McGarvey, Ian Ferguson - to name just a few. I really like McGrath, don’t get me wrong, but I feel that if he hadn’t been stroking home all those casual penalty kicks, the spotlight wouldn’t have shone so brightly on him just for his midfield displays. Connor Ronan has actually caught my eye more. Opinions, opinions. Just like arseholes, we all have one.

Edited by pozbaird

On 11/11/2021 at 09:30, pozbaird said:

Haven’t read the thread, so apologies if mentioned (it probably has), but at the risk of attracting flak - I don’t get the amount of current ‘hype’ surrounding Jamie McGrath. I’ve been watching St Mirren since 1976 and while an excellent player, I’ve seen a ton more in the stripes who I understood the ‘hype’ about. I’m not feeling it about McGrath. My opinion.

Edit to add: In my opinion, in using the term ‘hype’, I mean by it, a player who is standing out at a ‘small club like St Mirren’. A player whom the bigger boys are ready to snap up, and who is talked about in terms along the lines of ‘St Mirren will do well to hold onto…. is destined for bigger things…should be at a higher level’ etc.

Just off the top of my head, I absolutely felt all of that about Tony Fitzpatrick, Lewis Morgan, Frank McAvennie, Steve Clarke, Bobby Reid, Frank McGarvey, Ian Ferguson - to name just a few. I really like McGrath, don’t get me wrong, but I feel that if he hadn’t been stroking home all those casual penalty kicks, the spotlight wouldn’t have shone so brightly on him just for his midfield displays. Connor Ronan has actually caught my eye more. Opinions, opinions. Just like arseholes, we all have one.

Surely John McGinn as well no?