God Save The Queen

Lex

Caledonia is a slow ballad about homesickness and Frankie Miller sings it in a pseudo American accent. I love the McLean version but complaining that FoS is too slow and then opting for Caledonia makes little sense. 

Highland Cathedral would be a fun choice, mainly as it was written by Germans. The lyrics are even more Shortbready than Scotland the Brave.

Scotland Will Flourish, by The Corries is mibbe a bit cheesy, but has a cherry, upbeat melody and aspirational lyrics. Its the best choice.

Meghan must HATE how popular Kate has become as she turns 40…she is the beautiful Glinda to her Wicked Witch of the West (thesun.co.uk)

I read this today while I was at work and the only conclusion I could draw is that the author suffers from some form of mental illness. I genuinely had to force myself to keep reading because it was causing me physical pain to do so.

Kate gets bonnier by the month.

On New Year’s Eve, the Duchess released a photograph of herself and Prince William, taken on their way to the premiere of the Bond film, No Time To Die.

If a picture speaks a thousand words, this candid image of a husband and wife holding hands in a car was the perfect riposte to the Duchess’s detractors.

William looked princely and tickled pink, but it was Kate, wearing a smile not seen since Leonardo beheld the Mona Lisa, who made our hearts thump.

Royal wives are not usually presentable, especially the consorts of British kings and princes.

Look at Caroline of Brunswick (or don’t), who was so ugly that her husband, George IV, had her banned from her own coronation.

George I, meanwhile, kept his wife Sophia Dorothea locked in a tower.

But Kate is the swan of our time, the peer of the late Princess Grace of Monaco.

There are only two kinds of royal women in this world — the serene and the chronically unhappy.

The latter, including Meghan, kick against their fate, seeing the golden chalice as one filled with poison.

They exist in a state of discontent, thinking their wisdom has seen through all their supposed advantages and found them worthless.

They are almost proud of their anger and consider it the only rational attitude for an enlightened person.

Then there are those like the Duchess of Cambridge.

A real British beauty like Kate is rare indeed. Her chestnut hair seems always lit by the sun’s afterglow, her skin saturated by summer mists and her complexion is the envy of dermatologists.

As for her eyes, on the one occasion when I met her, I have never seen brown eyes quite like hers. Usually they have dull flickerings of grey, but Kate’s are so bright they can look like burning amber.

Nothing could be more different from the artificial, enamelled appearance cultivated by other royal women.

Princess Charlene of Monaco’s heavy make-up and ill-advised cosmetic surgery reminds one of a showgirl trying to stem the inevitable tide.

The Duchess of Sussex, with her slippery, shiny pout, is a concrete siren rising before her husband, her face powdered, her eyelashes dropping provokingly.

The same could be said of Queen Letizia of Spain, perilously thin and dressed and coiffed within an inch of her life.

No one quite believes in any other person.

We might believe in an idea absolutely, but not in another human being, yet I have grown to believe in Kate.

Clothes are an outward manifestation of character and the Duchess’s choices are telling.

It does help that Kate, unlike her sister-in-law, has never tried to convince William that he is mentally ill, and bordering on the suicidal.

How do you rationalise with people who have this perspective on monarchy as a concept?

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

Meghan must HATE how popular Kate has become as she turns 40…she is the beautiful Glinda to her Wicked Witch of the West (thesun.co.uk)
I read this today while I was at work and the only conclusion I could draw is that the author suffers from some form of mental illness. I genuinely had to force myself to keep reading because it was causing my physical pain to do so.
Kate gets bonnier by the month.
On New Year’s Eve, the Duchess released a photograph of herself and Prince William, taken on their way to the premiere of the Bond film, No Time To Die.
If a picture speaks a thousand words, this candid image of a husband and wife holding hands in a car was the perfect riposte to the Duchess’s detractors.
William looked princely and tickled pink, but it was Kate, wearing a smile not seen since Leonardo beheld the Mona Lisa, who made our hearts thump.
Royal wives are not usually presentable, especially the consorts of British kings and princes.
Look at Caroline of Brunswick (or don’t), who was so ugly that her husband, George IV, had her banned from her own coronation.
George I, meanwhile, kept his wife Sophia Dorothea locked in a tower.
But Kate is the swan of our time, the peer of the late Princess Grace of Monaco.
There are only two kinds of royal women in this world — the serene and the chronically unhappy.
The latter, including Meghan, kick against their fate, seeing the golden chalice as one filled with poison.
They exist in a state of discontent, thinking their wisdom has seen through all their supposed advantages and found them worthless.
They are almost proud of their anger and consider it the only rational attitude for an enlightened person.
Then there are those like the Duchess of Cambridge.
A real British beauty like Kate is rare indeed. Her chestnut hair seems always lit by the sun’s afterglow, her skin saturated by summer mists and her complexion is the envy of dermatologists.
As for her eyes, on the one occasion when I met her, I have never seen brown eyes quite like hers. Usually they have dull flickerings of grey, but Kate’s are so bright they can look like burning amber.
Nothing could be more different from the artificial, enamelled appearance cultivated by other royal women.
Princess Charlene of Monaco’s heavy make-up and ill-advised cosmetic surgery reminds one of a showgirl trying to stem the inevitable tide.
The Duchess of Sussex, with her slippery, shiny pout, is a concrete siren rising before her husband, her face powdered, her eyelashes dropping provokingly.
The same could be said of Queen Letizia of Spain, perilously thin and dressed and coiffed within an inch of her life.
No one quite believes in any other person.
We might believe in an idea absolutely, but not in another human being, yet I have grown to believe in Kate.
Clothes are an outward manifestation of character and the Duchess’s choices are telling.

It does help that Kate, unlike her sister-in-law, has never tried to convince William that he is mentally ill, and bordering on the suicidal.
How do you rationalise with people who have this perspective on monarchy as a concept?
That is beyond creepy. Sycophantic doesn't even touch the sides. The old PnB adage "she's no going to shag you mate" has never been so apt.

Why follow a family that has stolen billions out of a country?

I work with an English guy who says he loves the Queen, that’s fair enough, I don’t argue with him, because he’s in love 🤣🤮

England can keep them for a bit of culture and prestige.

Royalty is for sycophantics 

33 minutes ago, Angus of the Mo said:

I work with an English guy who says he loves the Queen, that’s fair enough, I don’t argue with him, because he’s in love 🤣🤮

England can keep them for a bit of culture and prestige.

Royalty is for sycophantics 

A mate of mine used to work for a company that had offices in Edinburgh, North Bridge, and in High Wycombe, Bucks.

Every now and again someone, casually looking out the window in Edinburgh, would say : "Oh, there's the Queen away past, must be heading for Holyrood".  Nobody moved a muscle, or batted an eyelid.

If the same thing happened in High Wycombe, the whole office would go apeshit, rush to the windows, screaming things like, "Oh, look everybody, IT'S The Queen, OMG, OMG, IT'S THE QUEEN!!!

39 minutes ago, Angus of the Mo said:

As monarchists point out, the royal family is the only thing tourists come for (because otherwise the UK is shit), and if they didn’t breed pedigree Heads of State for us, we filthy, despicable proles would elect President Blair/Thatcher/Fred West (because the citizens of the UK are also shit and stupid and need to be protected from themselves).

Now remember, monarchists are patriotic and love their county - just not any of its natural tourist attractions or its stupid common people

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

A mate of mine used to work for a company that had offices in Edinburgh, North Bridge, and in High Wycombe, Bucks.

Every now and again someone, casually looking out the window in Edinburgh, would say : "Oh, there's the Queen away past, must be heading for Holyrood".  Nobody moved a muscle, or batted an eyelid.

If the same thing happened in High Wycombe, the whole office would go apeshit, rush to the windows, screaming things like, "Oh, look everybody, IT'S The Queen, OMG, OMG, IT'S THE QUEEN!!!

🤣🤣

That reminds me of the time I was drinking with some mates in Ballater, Queens limo went past, so the tourists from England run out to get a glimpse, the locals sat at the bar, one shouted Queen… and sang, I want break free

1 minute ago, Angus of the Mo said:

🤣🤣

That reminds me of the time I was drinking with some mates in Ballater, Queens limo went past, so the tourists from England run out to get a glimpse, the locals sat at the bar, one shouted Queen… and sang, I want break free

That's a perfect response!

Not sure why but your post reminded me of this wee chap.65e609fc63d0d5fed3ce695b858e8c75.jpg

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Why can’t it be something modern? Does it need to be something calling back to battles from hundreds of years ago? Can we not have a new anthem written about the country we strive to be? (Also can we please strive to be better?). 

Hamish Henderson's Freedom Come All Ye might suit you then 

1 hour ago, hearthammer said:

Papa's been worried about you, Buc1958 Scott  

MR. GEPPETTO ~ Pinocchio, 1940 | Disney character quiz, Disney characters,  Disney

Given I know them both, I can guarantee that Buc is not Scott.

I'm surprised that anyone would think he was since Buc is a Dons fan and supports independence and Scott is a *** who doesn't.

1 hour ago, hearthammer said:

Papa's been worried about you, Buc1958 Scott  

MR. GEPPETTO ~ Pinocchio, 1940 | Disney character quiz, Disney characters,  Disney

I am not Scott. Have you been reading my posts .

Scott is very different to me politically and would never say anything against his beliefs .

Have you not looked at my gas safe post and number telling you I live in Aberdeen.

Edited by Buc1958

20 hours ago, velo army said:

Caledonia is a slow ballad about homesickness and Frankie Miller sings it in a pseudo American accent. I love the McLean version but complaining that FoS is too slow and then opting for Caledonia makes little sense. 

Depends on your outlook. I think they're both shite, particularly Caledonia. It's about a maudlin Scot who loved the place that much he fucked off and now he's failed elsewhere, he's greeting about coming back.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Depends on your outlook. I think they're both shite, particularly Caledonia. It's about a maudlin Scot who loved the place that much he fucked off and now he's failed elsewhere, he's greeting about coming back.

Hardly. He was backpacking around France iirc. Quite the curmudgeonly take Sarge.