God Save The Queen

Lex

I have no I’ll- feelings towards the Queen and tbh respect her lifelong dedication to her service and duty to the country and commonwealth. I also fully appreciate her dedication is borne from her generation as well as her absolute privilege.

It will be a total change; literally once in a century upheaval and modernisation once she passes. You already see a more streamlined “core” whilst the cousins, unpopular brothers, hangers-on and unwelcome uncles will be basically given their P45s.

It’s far more of a concern to myself that I fully and clearly remember her Silver Jubilee, my parents getting us special commemorative  coins (still in a box somewhere in the house), street parties on the telly etc. The last 45 years seem to have flown past!

10 minutes ago, deegee said:

It’s far more of a concern to myself that I fully and clearly remember her Silver Jubilee, my parents getting us special commemorative  coins (still in a box somewhere in the house), street parties on the telly etc. The last 45 years seem to have flown past!

Thanks for making me realise that as well. Now feeling depressed.

On 01/02/2022 at 01:19, tamthebam said:

Some fuds always seem to come up with the idea of "let's have street parties" for these commemorations.

This is 2022, no f*cker knows who their neighbours are, let alone talks to them. 

I'm nearly 50.  I've never been to a street party in my puff. Maybe some fool in our street might think it a good idea but thankfully I doubt it.

Shut up, we get an extra day off. I'd rather have had it added to my holidays, but I'll take it.

35 minutes ago, deegee said:

I vaguely remember the Silver Jubilee and what I remember is that you could buy red, white and blue mousse (a staunch dessert). The blue bit was in the middle but I don't remember what it tasted of.

Oh and you tied an onion to your belt as was the fashion at the time etc

58 minutes ago, deegee said:

I have no I’ll- feelings towards the Queen and tbh respect her lifelong dedication to her service and duty to the country and commonwealth. I also fully appreciate her dedication is borne from her generation as well as her absolute privilege.

It will be a total change; literally once in a century upheaval and modernisation once she passes. You already see a more streamlined “core” whilst the cousins, unpopular brothers, hangers-on and unwelcome uncles will be basically given their P45s.

Never mind her Silver Jubilee, I got one for her Coronation.

2 hours ago, deegee said:

I’m fairly sure the dedication was to retaining her family’s plum position and enriching its private coffers. In that regard, from the 50s she’s gone out of her way to do more private fortune building than any monarch in British history. The old dame has been about using a public show of dedication to a nebulous “duty” (which she’s seldom faltered in) since she was in her 20s to rake in cash hand over fist.

When I heard Betty White had died - a woman who grafted for decades and was personally active in many charitable causes - I couldn’t help but think death had come for the wrong nonagenarian.

Edited by Antlion