God Save The Queen

Lex

On 01/02/2022 at 01:19, tamthebam said:

Some fuds always seem to come up with the idea of "let's have street parties" for these commemorations.

This is 2022, no f*cker knows who their neighbours are, let alone talks to them. 

I'm nearly 50.  I've never been to a street party in my puff. Maybe some fool in our street might think it a good idea but thankfully I doubt it.

Interesting to see how many there are up here, looking back for William and Kate’s wedding, Scotland had 13 street parties (mostly in Edinburgh) and then for Harry and Meghan, only 1 in the entire country.  There’s definitely a lot less fucks given up here in general to the Royals outside the odd super Unionist Rangers fan down the Orange Lodge. Hard core Royalists are total oddballs as far as I’m concerned.  I’ve nothing against anyone who wants to keep the Royal family don’t agree with them but knock yourself out everyone’s entitled to their opinion.  But the ones who deck themselves out like a human Union Jack to go celebrate the birth, marriage or still no dead yet of someone they’ve probably never met and would step over them in the street are absolute weirdos.  

Should end the whole circus when the Queen pops her clogs. Bowing to people just because they were born into the right family in the 21st century is embarrassing.  

7 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Interesting to see how many there are up here, looking back for William and Kate’s wedding, Scotland had 13 street parties (mostly in Edinburgh) and then for Harry and Meghan, only 1 in the entire country.  There’s definitely a lot less fucks given up here in general to the Royals outside the odd super Unionist Rangers fan down the Orange Lodge. Hard core Royalists are total oddballs as far as I’m concerned.  I’ve nothing against anyone who wants to keep the Royal family don’t agree with them but knock yourself out everyone’s entitled to their opinion.  But the ones who deck themselves out like a human Union Jack to go celebrate the birth, marriage or still no dead yet of someone they’ve probably never met and would step over them in the street are absolute weirdos.  

Should end the whole circus when the Queen pops her clogs. Bowing to people just because they were born into the right family in the 21st century is embarrassing.  

If they've never met them, they won't need to bow...

On Chuckie Boy choosing a name to go for, I like the approach that the (Scots) King Robert III took. He was born John. His dad and brother were both Robert, so when he became king he took the name Robert. 

Talk about ways to wind up your siblings. 

Spoiler

The brother, Robert, did end up deposing his brother and ruling Scotland for over 20 years ,and murdered his nephew (the king's son); so I guess all in all they could call it even. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

On Chuckie Boy choosing a name to go for, I like the approach that the (Scots) King Robert III took. He was born John. His dad and brother were both Robert, so when he became king he took the name Robert. 

Talk about ways to wind up your siblings. 

Hide contents

The brother, Robert, did end up deposing his brother and ruling Scotland for over 20 years ,and murdered his nephew (the king's son); so I guess all in all they could call it even. 

I can't see Charles becoming Elizabeth III although there have been some crazy rumours about him over the years...

7 hours ago, Antlion said:

Indeed - he’d only be Elizabeth II of Scotland! 

Ah see they've changed that so that the higher number takes precedence. Ie. IF he chose James he'd be James VIII.

So you can be sure he'll not pick James, or Robert...or Malcolm etc.

I see the Auntie “we are impartial - look, we give every view an airing” Beeb has approved wall-to-wall propaganda in its “70 Glorious Years”.

Remember that the next time the BBC are defending their platforming of extremist Brexiteers, unvaccinated science deniers, flat earthers, or any other crackpot they want to normalise by pretending they need to be represented in the interests of fairness.

When it comes to pushing royalist propaganda, any idea of balance or fairness suddenly no longer matters, and only sycophants need to be represented, because you will prostrate yourself before the aristocracy, you will believe God chose the monarch, and you will believe that Lizzie Windsor is the best, nay, the only superhuman demigod who has ever lived.

8 minutes ago, Antlion said:

When it comes to pushing royalist propaganda, any idea of balance or fairness suddenly no longer matters, and only sycophants need to be represented, because you will prostrate yourself before the aristocracy, you will believe God chose the monarch, and you will believe that Lizzie Windsor is the best, nay, the only superhuman demigod who has ever lived.

It's even worse than that.

When (a) God decides that Her Most Britannic Majesty has had enough, He will replace Her with Charles, who despite having confessed to adultery, will take another solemn oath to the same God to whom he promised to be faithful to his wife Diana. 

Still, it'll do the porcelain tat industry a turn, I suppose. Will the new coins be "double head" ones, to represent his two faces upon taking the Coronation Oath?

If there is a God (which for the avoidance of any doubt I haven't believed since I was in primary school) this "by the grace of God" stuff would indicate that he must have a pretty warped sense of humour. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

If she doesn't quite make it do we keep the extra bank holiday and get an extra day or two for mourning? 

I'll need it because i'll be really really upset. 

Oh aye, I know what you mean too, I'll be fair gutted, so I will. There'll be feck all else on telly for weeks, national anthem every commercial break, photos all over buildings.  There will be loads of folk utterly distraught. Wailing in the streets, etc.  Royal weddings are bad enough, with normal folk apparently losing their minds but the very though of the death of a reigning monarch? 

When Diana's funeral was about to happen, there were, ahem, "suggestions" made to shops near us that they ought to close for the day.  That they REALLY ought to close for the day. Don't suppose they'll have any choice when the time comes. 

When HMTQ pops her (oops, sorry Her) clogs, the streets will be expected to be as deserted as the early days of lockdown. 

I'll not be dancing in the streets but I'll do my best to soldier on without Her. (Will Jimmy Carr be able to contain himself?) 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

Oh aye, I know what you mean too, I'll be fair gutted, so I will. There'll be feck all else on telly for weeks, national anthem every commercial break, photos all over buildings.  There will be loads of folk utterly distraught. Wailing in the streets, etc.  Royal weddings are bad enough, with normal folk apparently losing their minds but the very though of the death of a reigning monarch? 
When Diana's funeral was about to happen, there were, ahem, "suggestions" made to shops near us that they ought to close for the day.  That they REALLY ought to close for the day. Don't suppose they'll have any choice when the time comes. 
When HMTQ pops her (oops, sorry Her) clogs, the streets will be expected to be as deserted as the early days of lockdown. 
I'll not be dancing in the streets but I'll do my best to soldier on without Her. (Will Jimmy Carr be able to contain himself?) 
Dance on her grave instead?

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
28 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Dance on her grave instead?

Nah. Knowing my luck, if I said I'd do that, they'd bury her at sea. 

I don’t wish Her any harm. I do however think the whole institution is a piece of nonsense and needs to be consigned to history. 

4 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The Celtic Shop might be open.... :lol: