God Save The Queen

Lex

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Stuck this in General politics but I guess it should really be here.

Whilst it's obviously abhorrent authoritarian populist nonsense, I'd have marginally less of a problem with it if God Save The Queen wasn't such a fucking dirge. One of the worst songs ever written.

Adopt a banger like the French or Italians have and then we can talk.

1 minute ago, J_Stewart said:

Whilst it's obviously abhorrent authoritarian populist nonsense, I'd have marginally less of a problem with it if God Save The Queen wasn't such a fucking dirge. One of the worst songs ever written.

Or this rousing anthem. 

And since they are both cracking anthems, here are the French and Italian as well.

Edited by Suspect Device

It’s not a top tier anthem by any stretch of the imagination, but God Save The Queen shits all over Flower of Scotland for a national anthem. FoS might be the worst national anthem in the developed world.

When the Highlands and Islands become independent and choose Highland Cathedral for their anthem, it’ll easily be the best national anthem in these lands. 

Just now, G51 said:

It’s not a top tier anthem by any stretch of the imagination, but God Save The Queen shits all over Flower of Scotland for a national anthem. FoS might be the worst national anthem in the developed world.

They're both better than the Republic of Ireland one which has a particularly tinpot military march in a genre with far too many military marches already.

Admittedly they chose it in a hurry but they've won 5 Eurovision song contests since then surely somebody could improve on it

Both GSTQ are slow waltzes which shows a bit of imagination at least.

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

When the Highlands and Islands become independent and choose Highland Cathedral for their anthem, it’ll easily be the best national anthem in these lands. 

FoS is also shite, but is significantly better than GSTQ, IMO. GSTQ is a top 10 WOAT in any song ever written (Rockstar by Nickelback being the undisputed number 1).

Pure, unadulterated solidarity with Highland Cathedral though. An absolute fucking banger. Please revise statement to read "in these, or any, lands" though. Nothing would compete.

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

They're both better than the Republic of Ireland one which has a particularly tinpot military march in a genre with far too many military marches already.

Admittedly they chose it in a hurry but they've won 5 Eurovision song contests since then surely somebody could improve on it

Both GSTQ are slow waltzes which shows a bit of imagination at least.

The funniest thing about the Soldiers Song is that it’s sung in Irish, and it’s very noticeable when the crowd sings that people forget the words after the first two lines. This is made even funnier because it was originally written in English and the translated into Gaelic. But aye, I’ll give you that.

GSTQ is an absolute dirge of a song.
I don’t even consider it to be a proper national anthem as it speaks nothing of the nation to me. Instead it asks for a God (who I don’t believe in) to save(whatever that is supposed to mean) a privileged and unelected head of state.
It says nothing of the hopes and expectations of the people of these islands. At least FOS deals with the nation and its aspirations of nationhood.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

I realise that taste in music is subjective but God Save the Queen is one of the worst tunes and lyrics in any genre ever. Only James Blunt is worse. 

Flower of Scotland is ok as twee folk songs go. Just not really anthem material. 

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

La Marseillaise is by far the best national anthem

34 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I realise that taste in music is subjective but God Save the Queen is one of the worst tunes and lyrics in any genre ever. Only James Blunt is worse. 

Flower of Scotland is ok as twee folk songs go. Just not really anthem material. 

Totally agree. Time to replace both?

Suggestions on a postcard, please.

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Stuck this in General politics but I guess it should really be here.

We're slowly getting to the stage where they'll just start saying "England prevails" at the end of their speeches/announcements and a'body will just go along with it or bray in agreement.

(V for vandetta, for those who haven't read/seen it).

For all that it seems risible, the increasing emboldening of patriotism and nationalistic chauvinism resulting in pish like this in parliament is a bit of a canary in a coal mine moment.

35 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Totally agree. Time to replace both?

Suggestions on a postcard, please.

The problem with replacing an anthem is that while the shortcomings with the old one can generally be excused on grounds of tradition a new one has to be acceptable by everybody

You need a melody simple enough for everybody to carry regardless of talent or intoxication, a tempo slow enough to sound serious but fast enough not to be funereal, a big chorus opening and lyrics that superficially sound deep and meaningful enough that people can get misty eyed while singing them but ultimately meaningless that they can't cause offense to anybody. by these criteria Wonderwall is an ideal candidate for the new English anthem.