The Famous Aberdeen v the Glesga Sevco

1 minute ago, AJF said:

My argument wasn’t about intent, though. My point is, if you accept there was no deliberate attempt to foul Hedges, then the only way it could be a penalty and a red card is if there is no genuine attempt to play the ball.

Which then means if McGregor was not intending to foul the player, then the only possible alternative left is that he was attempting to play the ball. Just because Hedges got there before him doesn’t change that.

You really aren’t getting the meaning of genuine are you?  To make a genuine attempt you have to have a chance of winning the ball.  On no planet was McGregor getting to the ball before the Aberdeen boy to win it.  If you want to call that an attempt to win the ball that’s up to you.   It was never genuine as he couldn’t possibly get there first. 

It still doesn’t explain the insistence on passing blame to Ryan Kent when you actually agree with what I originally said…
Jesus.

You Rangers fans know that more than 1 person can share their own faults in any given shitshow right?

I've no intention on "passing blame" to Kent. I'm saying, like will be discussed in every dressing room at every level, his poor decision put him in a situation he didn't need to put himself into.

If he makes a better decision, he can control his own fate. His decision, in that scenario, put his fate in the hands of Brown and Clancy rather than keep it for himself.

It's akin to "standing up in the box", just a little more nuanced.

Control what you can control.

This doesn't absolve Clancy of being a cluster f**k in any way, shape or form.

You boys are taking the highlighting of Kent's own part in his red card pretty personally for some reason.

26 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Exclusively through his mouth

Mainly through his arse. There really is no point arguing with someone whose numeracy is so poor they can't tell the difference between one and fifty-five.

Edited by Don exotic

Just now, Left Back said:

You really aren’t getting the meaning of genuine are you?  To make a genuine attempt you have to have a chance of winning the ball.  On no planet was McGregor getting to the ball before the Aberdeen boy to win it.  If you want to call that an attempt to win the ball that’s up to you.   It was never genuine as he couldn’t possibly get there first. 

He doesn’t need to beat Hedges to the ball for it to be a genuine attempt to play the ball. He could’ve anticipated Hedges was getting there before him and was attempting to block any touch towards goal. That is backed up by the fact that McGregors hands go up towards the ball after Hedges touched it.

If you don’t know by now you’ll never know
Barisic fouled twice at penalty 
Morelos booked for having arms
Kent sent off for two bookings that were not even fouls
Brown and McRorie both should have been off. Both should have been booked before they were
Barisic hit twice in the face by Hayes who was booked and had also hit Wright in the face 
Ball was moving as penalty is hit 
But hey Rangers get all the decisions. 
Not a victim mentality though.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

He doesn’t need to beat Hedges to the ball for it to be a genuine attempt to play the ball. He could’ve anticipated Hedges was getting there before him and was attempting to block any touch towards goal. That is backed up by the fact that McGregors hands go up towards the ball after Hedges touched it.

Genuine or not, he was a mile from the ball and made contact with the player. It’s a foul which means in that scenario it’s also a red card.

Just now, AJF said:

Completely wrong when he impedes him after the boy gets there first.

By your logic any keeper that dives at an attackers feet and trips him as he knocks the ball past him isn’t conceding a penalty?

1 minute ago, gaz5 said:

Jesus.

You Rangers fans know that more than 1 person can share their own fault in any given shitshow right?

I've no intention on "passing blame" to Kent. I'm saying, like will be discussed in every dressing room at every level, his poor decision put him in a situation he didn't need to put himself into.

If he makes a better decision, he can control his own fate. His decision, in that scenario, put his fate in the hands of Brown and Clancy rather than keep it for himself.

It's akin to "standing up in the box", just a little more nuanced.

Control what you can control.

This doesn't absolve Clancy of being a cluster f**k in any way, shape or form.

You boys are taking the highlighting of Kent's own part in his red card pretty personally for some reason.

To reassure you, I’m not taking anything personally, I just like discussing contentious or noteworthy incidents. I certainly don’t believe I am being wronged by what you are saying, I just don’t follow your train of thought, that’s all.

As I said, my original comment was that it wasn’t a booking. I stand by that and accept you agree while feel there should be some blame apportioned to Kent, but I disagree.

Just now, Jinky67 said:

Genuine or not, he was a mile from the ball and made contact with the player. It’s a foul which means in that scenario it’s also a red card.

Genuine or not is entirely relevant. Only if it’s deemed not to have been a genuine attempt to play the ball would it be a red (if a penalty is given, that is).

If it’s given as a free kick outside the box, red card all day long.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Completely wrong when he impedes him after the boy gets there first.

By your logic any keeper that dives at an attackers feet and trips him as he knocks the ball past him isn’t conceding a penalty?

No, because I’m not arguing it wasn’t a foul? I’m arguing it was an attempt to play the ball which ended up being a foul.

Just now, AJF said:

No, because I’m not arguing it wasn’t a foul? I’m arguing it was an attempt to play the ball which ended up being a foul.

Again, you’re missing the word genuine.  If you believe that was a genuine attempt you need to take the blue blinkers off.

I’m done discussing it.  As far as I can tell you’re the only person thinking he was trying to play the ball let alone making a genuine attempt.

To reassure you, I’m not taking anything personally, I just like discussing contentious or noteworthy incidents. I certainly don’t believe I am being wronged by what you are saying, I just don’t follow your train of thought, that’s all.
As I said, my original comment was that it wasn’t a booking. I stand by that and accept you agree while feel there should be some blame apportioned to Kent, but I disagree.
It's not about "blame" for Kent, it's about cause and effect and his role in it.

I'd be willing to bet my mortgage that the Rangers coaching staff will be saying to Kent "look, the ref makes a c**t of that, it's not a yellow, but we know refs are shite and Browns a shithouser, so next time, just let him play it down the line and we get the ball back with 11 men. The downside risk outweighs the upside benefit of going near him in that scenario". Or words to that effect.

Referee being shite or not, players and coaches at all levels will always analyse their own role in those sorts of situations like that and look at how to avoid it.