Police Scotland - a discussion thread 👮‍♂️

39 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Same. Most people I've met that have strong opinions of the police tend to be interesting characters themselves which, i'm sure, is purely coincidental.

I would have said the same until I moved into a house about 10 years ago which had 2 cops in the house next door. They thought they were in charge of the neighbourhood and terrorised everyone with intimidation tactics up to and including violence.

For a long time the police covered it up, let it slide and let them away with it. It was only with much persistence and the efforts of a couple of genuinely decent cops that they were eventually dealt with.

That experience overall made me wary where I hadn’t been before. And in recent years you see them standing back and allowing people to destroy George Square for example and then there’s the videos from last night of them raining New Year’s dances for for f**k knows what. 

I wouldn’t speak to them personally without a witness and will be advising my children as they get older not to co-operate without legal advice.

I personally know 4 polis. One I’m related to but is long retired. One I was at Uni with and is sound. 

The other two are/were slimy corrupt greasy oily b*****ds. 

ETA one more. A mates dad from back in the day. He was a sound c**t though who didn’t tell my folks when he nabbed me in the grounds at Gordonstoun.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkay

I've no doubt that the polis get up to plenty of shit that they shouldn't be allowed to, and I've seen some examples of rank laziness and misbehaviour from the force in London. However, it's amazing how many people tell angry tales of polis officers getting up to dodgy stuff to ensure they were convicted for things that they actually did. Even been the odd one on here from time to time.

That's obviously not right, but I don't think "I did it, but they didn't SEE me do it, like they said" is quite the gotcha some folk seem to think it is.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Police Scotland was a bad idea to start with, badly executed. We had 8 (?) forces all with local knowledge of their own unique areas. Highlands and Islands is a different policing challenge to, say, Lothian and Borders. Centralising it has made it worse. Even worse they used the worst of the existing policing forces (Strathclyde) as the template for the new force. 

Not heard a single officer - past or present - say it was a good idea. 

Local units still have local knowledge so I'm not really sure there is substance to that point.

As for merging, there's millions of pounds of ongoing savings to the public with the removal of a myriad of back office duplication.

Also, it removed the opportunity for local senior officers the chance of stardom / act the big shot. I recall Ian Latimer cutting an interesting figure.

If we started with one force, I'm not at all sure anyone would seriously stand on a ticket of slicing it into eight pieces with separate systems. 

The belle previous to the current Mrs a-p was a Tayside WPC. Sufficiently mental to be outstanding fun when she wanted to be, but terrifyingly aggressive when things weren’t going her way. It didn’t last…

My only other take on the polis is I’m in (now less) regular run-ins with the traffic division. It used to be (25-30 years ago) that you could have a reasoned discussion with them, plead your case, take your telling, common sense would prevail and we’d all part as friends.

Now it’s a much more ‘we’ve got you at 78mph (on a deserted motorway and immediately I spotted them I slowed back to 70mph demonstrating a basic attempt to pay attention) but it’s black/white - we’ve gotcha, you’re getting a ticket, 3pts and £100 fine.

tl/dr? Fine bunch of lads when allowed to use their personal discretion but the current output of/ management direction to produce automatons are losing the dressing room imo.

Edited by alta-pete

They are a mixed bag IMO.

I think they act like arrogant arseholes when there's no need.  It must be tough though, as they'll be dealing with wee neddy ratbags on a regular basis who'll be constantly trying to get them into trouble, surrounding them with camera phones and the likes.

There's undoubtedly a culture of lying and covering for the wrongdoings of your fellow officers.  It's wrong and immoral, but it happens.  It'll never change though, as it's a high pressure job where breaking points will be reached and errors made regularly, so you probably wouldn't even do the job unless you knew you could count on your colleagues to back you up.

Certain demographics get more 'police attention' than others and this is because of their behaviour rather than any laughable notion of discrimination.

You never get the sense that they are absolutely itching for a fight unlike 90% of English polis and they are fairly good at allowing the right to protest.

That said they are often rightly critisied for allowing mental rangers fans to charge about Glasgow twice.

However I'm sure they could do better, Allan Bryant Jnr has been missing now for years always felt they could have done much more to find out what happened there.

I would have said the same until I moved into a house about 10 years ago which had 2 cops in the house next door. They thought they were in charge of the neighbourhood and terrorised everyone with intimidation tactics up to and including violence.
For a long time the police covered it up, let it slide and let them away with it. It was only with much persistence and the efforts of a couple of genuinely decent cops that they were eventually dealt with.
That experience overall made me wary where I hadn’t been before. And in recent years you see them standing back and allowing people to destroy George Square for example and then there’s the videos from last night of them raining New Year’s dances for for f**k knows what. 
I wouldn’t speak to them personally without a witness and will be advising my children as they get older not to co-operate without legal advice.

Never knew Detournment had an alias account !

34 minutes ago, 101 said:

You never get the sense that they are absolutely itching for a fight unlike 90% of English polis and they are fairly good at allowing the right to protest.

That said they are often rightly critisied for allowing mental rangers fans to charge about Glasgow twice..

I've seen the (then) Strathclyde Police stir up and create problems when pointlessly penning fans into Somerville Dr at Hampden.  I got the impression that they'd been told to treat all fans as if they were those of the ugly sisters.

13 hours ago, alta-pete said:

The belle previous to the current Mrs a-p was a Tayside WPC. Sufficiently mental to be outstanding fun when she wanted to be, but terrifyingly aggressive when things weren’t going her way. It didn’t last…

My only other take on the polis is I’m in (now less) regular run-ins with the traffic division. It used to be (25-30 years ago) that you could have a reasoned discussion with them, plead your case, take your telling, common sense would prevail and we’d all part as friends.

Now it’s a much more ‘we’ve got you at 78mph (on a deserted motorway and immediately I spotted them I slowed back to 70mph demonstrating a basic attempt to pay attention) but it’s black/white - we’ve gotcha, you’re getting a ticket, 3pts and £100 fine.

tl/dr? Fine bunch of lads when allowed to use their personal discretion but the current output of/ management direction to produce automatons are losing the dressing room imo.

You’re speeding and got caught (numerous times by the sound of it). Must be their fault though.

14 hours ago, alta-pete said:

You should have asked to see proof of when their gun was last calibrated and debated the ticket. 

12 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

You’re speeding and got caught (numerous times by the sound of it). Must be their fault though.

The good old days, when a rolled-up trouser leg and a quick handshake would sort out this sort of nonsense.