Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

As a debenture holder my opinion is that they will run Hampden until 2039 or 2040 when the lottery grants don't then have to be paid back and will sell the land.

There is no drive to improve the facilities for the majority of the fans 

Having been in the lower tier at Stuttgart in June id also say that's not the answer, at the end with the Scotland fans it was a great view but very shallow so play at the far end was hard to see.  

I’m not sure that’s fair. There could be but there simply isn’t the money available. SFA aren’t close to sourcing it privately. There is no justification for public funds being made available. No one is willing or able to provide the funds available for a meaningful renovation.

• 1 month later...

segundo-sol-novela.gif

It was a bad idea all along - especially given the plan was to then significantly reduce capacity and reinstate terracing immediately after - but cost reaching £400,000,000 :unsure2: before a sod is cut is simply ludicrous.

Plus far too little time... and Northern Ireland may well not even qualify.

By all means rebuild along Ravenhill/Windsor Park lines tailored to long-term GAA requirements.

8 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Will they still be considered for one of the automatic places?

The BBC article mentions they might host training for one or more of the teams. If they end up getting a chance of a host spot when they couldn't even be bothered to build a ground in case it made Catholics happy, it'll be a massive piss take.

1 minute ago, Binos said:

No one is,  all have to qualify... I think 

The speculation for a while has been that qualification will take place as normal but the best two hosts not to qualify automatically will be given additional slots.

10 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

Scottish Rugby Union enters the chat....?

The old classic chat was Scotland could host an old 8 team euros as we have 4 huge stadiums

But hotels and transport infrastructure insufficient 

Just now, JS_FFC said:

All have to enter the qualifying. The best two that fail to make it through the traditional route will get “backup” spaces 

OK, so us and Wales, oh Ireland are in there too

Wales and Ireland then

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

You'd assume we won't be able to be drawn in the same group, otherwise there's the possibility for shenanigans.

there should always be the possibility for shenanigans. If only for the reason that you can use the word 'shenanigans'.

Shenanigans.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Northern Ireland technically still count as a host team even if no games are played there, if there are training bases and/or a media centre.

f**k knows how the qualifying format is going to work with 12 groups of 4/5 and the 2nd placed teams guaranteed a playoff and the need to hold 2 slots back for host nations and the nations league spots.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Northern Ireland technically still count as a host team even if no games are played there, if there are training bases and/or a media centre.

f**k knows how the qualifying format is going to work with 12 groups of 4/5 and the 2nd placed teams guaranteed a playoff and the need to hold 2 slots back for host nations and the nations league spots.

They can brand the bid like that I guess  but not chance they could get a host spot. Only way that could happen is some sort of 5 team tournament is devised with top 2 getting host spots and rest have to qualify. If I was in any of the other FA's I tell them where to go no host venue no spot. We are in very strange territory where they allowed England to have other half the venues. 

The whole thing feels very contrived. Is this not a slight source of embarrassment for England who claim to have best league in the world that they can't host on their own yet Germany and France can. I would say though the whole Euro 2020 spreading it across Europe experiment, it was while there was a pandemic going on and well they really stretched it out going as far as Baku in east and Glasgow in the west maybe if they done western Europe for one and then east for another that would be a bit better. Maybe have a single host or two equal hosts and beyond that let cities bid (though regionalise it to a reasonable extent).

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

I think the default assumption will be to keep back 2 host spots, then figure out what happens if they aren't needed.

I'm going to assume Northern Ireland aren't now a host...

22 places are easy to allocate. 12 group winners + 6 play-off winners + 4 Nations League, er, "winners" (using the same format we qualified from in 2021).

In the unlikely event all 4 hosts win their groups, you're 2 teams short. Either expand the play-offs, or qualify the best 2 runners-up automatically and put the best 2 3rd-placed teams in the play-offs in their place.

If 1 host fails to win their group, they qualify as a host. That means you're 1 team short - easy, qualify the best runner-up, and put the best 3rd-placed team into the play-offs (adjusting accordingly if the aforementioned host is one of those teams). 

If 2 hosts fail to win their groups, they both qualify as hosts. Even easier - play-offs run as expected. If either or both of those hosts have finished 2nd, bump up the best 3rd-placed team(s) (not necessarily the 3rd-placed team in the host(s) group(s)).

If 3 or all 4 hosts fail to win their groups, I assume they'll qualify the best 2 based on the groups, then run the play-offs as normal (adjusting etc. etc.).

If we hadn’t involved the Republic you could imagine that Scotland, Wales and England could automatically qualify without too much complaint.

Rather than another game at Hampden it would be great to see Murrayfield pick up the NI games. 

If the two reserved places for non-qualifiers are correct then we’ll have to really make an arse if it not to qualify. I’m sure we can give it a go though. 

Edited by adamntg