Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

27 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It’s really telling that you’re full of condemnation for Zelensky causing casualties in this situation but absolutely not a bad word to say about the man who’s driving the invasion and shelling of civilian targets in another country.

Old Firmesque levels of beams and motes from him, again

Just now, AlbionSaint said:

I can imagine it might be disconcerting to encounter someone whose opinions diverge from the mainstream narrative. I simply considered how I would have responded in Zelensky's shoes - though my objective would be to minimise civilian casualties. Given that a Russian military victory is pretty much assured, why you believe it's hilarious that I would prioritise civilian lives over political/propaganda objectives is beyond me. 

If I was Putin right now I would want to besiege Kiev, again with the aim of minimising civilian casualties. I'd then try to allow safe passage of refugees from Kiev, before concentrating my efforts on attacking the remaining targets which would (hopefully) be military and therefore legitimate. Of course the logistics of supporting an army encamped outside Kiev for days might be tough. However if feasible that would show that:  (i) my targets were not civilians; and (ii) allow me to use indiscriminate force such as aerial bombing on Kiev after the civilians have fled.

Was this post meant to highlight how un-deranged you actually are?

Just now, AlbionSaint said:

I can imagine it might be disconcerting to encounter someone whose opinions diverge from the mainstream narrative.

It's fucking hilarious - keep it up.

Get wired in on other threads. I bet you've got some tremendous views on Goodwillie, for example.

1 minute ago, AlbionSaint said:

It's just an analysis of the situation. What are Zelensky's options? 

1) Unconditional surrender

2) Negotiate

3) Fight to the last man

What does (3) actually achieve? Serious question.

Option two isn't an option, as he has no one to negotiate with. All the noise coming from Russia indicates they will accept nothing that isn't unconditional surrender, so its one or three. All three achieves is massive bloodshed on both sides, before a Ukrainian defeat, so hopefully he doesn't choose that one.

4 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

2) Negotiate

3) Fight to the last man

Serious answer - it depends whether that last man is Ukrainian, or the last Russian with the appetite for a fight.

7 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

2) Negotiate

3) Fight to the last man

Quite a few of your sort around these parts in 1940.  Thankfully most people thought they were c***s.

Arming civilians and marshaling them into militias would probably be reasonably effective in urban areas if Russian troops enter cities. Random folk taking pot shots at passing Russian tank divisions probably isn't going to go well. Obviously the caveat is severe civilian losses. If you believe that total Russian victory and the fall of Kiev is a fait accompli, then you have to ask the question of whether it's worth it.

Arming civilians and marshaling them into militias would probably be reasonably effective in urban areas if Russian troops enter cities. Random folk taking pot shots at passing Russian tank divisions probably isn't going to go well. Obviously the caveat is severe civilian losses. If you believe that total Russian victory and the fall of Kiev is a fait accompli, then you have to ask the question of whether it's worth it.

That’s the nightmare scenario from a humanitarian perspective, but doesn’t look unlikely at the moment. If that starts happening I don’t think Putin will think twice about flattening Kiev and killing tens of thousands.

Ukraine is a huge country, 2.5 times the size of the UK with lots of big towns and cities. It makes sense to make it as difficult as possible for Russia, the longer it drags on and the more body bags get shipped home, the more pissed off the folks at home will get and the greater the likelihood of serious negotiations. 

7 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

How's that even a valid comparison? You realise Britain was at war in 1940, don't you? I'm simply commenting on a war between two foreign countries. Also Putin is not Hitler. Calm yourself.

Oh, my dear God.  Surely you are just a troll.  No-one can be this thick

32 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's fucking hilarious - keep it up.

Get wired in on other threads. I bet you've got some tremendous views on Goodwillie, for example.

Wouldn't have been rape if she'd just consented.

Edited by Gordon EF

9 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

How's that even a valid comparison? You realise Britain was at war in 1940, don't you? I'm simply commenting on a war between two foreign countries. Also Putin is not Hitler. Calm yourself.

wojak cube Blank Template - Imgflip

6 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Thinking back to other recent crises, has anyone considered the effect on climate change or Covid-transmission related to this invasion?

All Russian shelling so far appears to have been socially distanced. 

7 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Thinking back to other recent crises, has anyone considered the effect on climate change or Covid-transmission related to this invasion?

Heard Russia didn't sanitise the missiles before firing them. Chemical warfare.