Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Also quite funny given they're (I think anyway) one of the biggest arms sellers in the world all their customers have been watching their gear break down, underperform or look obsolete, albeit again while doing horrible things so funny probably not the right word

Sadly I bet some prospective buyers are looking at the levelling of Kharkiv and thinking they want some of that action.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Sadly I bet some prospective buyers are looking at the levelling of Kharkiv and thinking they want some of that action.

That's true, and I imagine they're looking at those broken down tanks thinking if we just grease those treads once we'll be fine. 

I read a fairly decent thread by an ex US servicemen the other day saying breakdowns are always pretty common in these situations, but that a sign of an army that's well trained/has decent morale is an ability to improvise or fix things on the go, which could be telling or could be nonsense. Doesn't solve what to do when there's no petrol either 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Daft crazy ww3 provoking idea I know.  But.  Could a country like Poland declare its withdrawal from nato then declare war on Russia? Or reform as a new country unbound by past treaties.  Sevpo.

Article 13 of the North Atlantic Treaty says any country wanting to leave must give a 1 year warning.
Presumably to stop rash unilateral decisions in a time of war like the one you mentioned. It would take time to get NATO troops and equipment out of Poland.

8 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Daft crazy ww3 provoking idea I know.  But.  Could a country like Poland declare its withdrawal from nato then declare war on Russia? Or reform as a new country unbound by past treaties.  Sevpo.

That would leave the three Baltic states stranded so doubt there's much appetite for that. Russia appears to have bitten off more than it can easily chew militarily so Poland's role will no doubt be to provide the airbases to keep resupplying the Ukrainians much like Pakistan during the Afghan war. The international fighters that appear to be arriving now no doubt provide a way in with plausible deniability for various western intelligence agencies.

7 hours ago, Welly boy said:

If your looking for daft crazy ideas get Switzerland to declare war on Russia as they are not part of the European Union or NATO , saying that i'm not even sure if Switzerland even have an Army...😅

Army training is pretty much mandatory, though you can opt to do community service instead. Vast majority of the over 18s here would be conscripted and already fully trained. Only the Swiss ones though, so not me…

9 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Why would they do something as completely insane as that,considering they have a huge border with Russia&it's one ally in the region

4 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

97ee67b388914c69317018d1ef1382f4.jpg

There's a post a few pages back where some russian analyst says he's been spending years trying to inform his own public their own military aren't all 7foot tall.he says he now has to assure them they aren't all 4 ft tall either.lets not underestimate this lot

9 hours ago, sophia said:

There's a terrific piece on the BBC news juxtaposing Johnson saying he is being as generous as he can be to refugees and the extent of the task force at Calais which amounts to and I quote "three officials, a box of ready salted crisps and some KitKats" 

The tolies are doing some heavy duty lying.

Warren Buffet coined the saying about seeing the bodies on the beach when the tide goes out.  It's everyone's misfortune at this time that we have dog-whistle incompetents like Johnson, Truss and Patel on that beach.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erictegler/2022/03/06/have-flat-tires-and-ukraines-mud-season-stalled-the-russian-convoy-outside-kyiv/?sh=234305f461e2

I always remember my old grandad  telling me a war story about them fixing punctures by stuffing the tyres with grass to get them moving and not being a sitting duck...he survived so hopefully nae Russian P&B spies are reading this.

51 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

according to some of the responses there burning books based on their contents is good now actually!

These people supporting this are so Liberal that they've accidentally outed themselves as fascist. 

'I don't support book burning, but...' is the exact same energy as 'I'm no a racist, but...'

These people supporting this are so Liberal that they've accidentally outed themselves as fascist. 
'I don't support book burning, but...' is the exact same energy as 'I'm no a racist, but...'
We live in the era of wild, contradictory snap judgements and reaction being shat out into the world in real time via smartphones. A world where people don't even take a nanosecond to think through the things they say.