Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
8 hours ago, S7C said:
So much “your imperialism is worse than my imperialism” bullshit doing the rounds today.
Lets call this what it is in isolation. A disgusting breach of international law and total disregard for democracy.

There's been a ridiculous false equivalence whataboutery by some on the left - parroting the same propaganda of RT.

I but we invaded Africa, was that because they are not in NATO????!!!???

13 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

FTFY 

Love a bit of Concerto in the morning sunrise 

4 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Been reading a fair bit about Emmanuel Macron’s part in this, and as regards their call yesterday, he and Putin have agreed to stay in touch.

Any chance this is the start of genuine negotiation on the end game being agreed?

As I quote Danny Diar "the firms would be in contact, to negotiate a safe place, for the big one" 

ETA - try read that without hi voice in your head.

Edited by SlipperyP

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Reports that the Ukrainian Army have successfully fired ballistic missions at a Russian airfield within Rostov, in Russia itself.

Completely insane.

Whats the difference ?

Russian jets are using Rostov to refuel and rearm it makes sense to try and make it unusable 

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Reports that the Ukrainian Army have successfully fired ballistic missions at a Russian airfield within Rostov, in Russia itself.

Completely insane.

Would have been completely insane before the invasion started. At this point the two countries are at war and Ukraine certainly isn't in demoralised retreat from the little green men mode by the looks of things so far. They've had eight extra years to prepare so this was never going to be a cake walk for the Russian military even if Putin & Co are still likely to ultimately win if they are willing to pay the price involved in soldiers killed, civilian casualties and international reputation completely eviscerated.  Guess the stiff resistance is predicated on the premise that they might not be.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

they are willing to pay the price involved in soldiers killed, civilian casualties and international reputation completely eviscerated

Is this not on al cases of war, Including the good guys (UK/USA).

Wait, I'm not on the side of Russia here, but you can see from an international view, not a western view. 

Whats the difference ?
Russian jets are using Rostov to refuel and rearm it makes sense to try and make it unusable 
If Ukraine start attacking Russia itself it will escalate, greatly intensify the Russian response and give them propaganda opportunities domestically.
IMO the only thing the Ukrainians can do at the moment is to try and broker some sort of ceasefire, which will of course likely mean ceding power.
Otherwise its just going to be drawn out, with the same result and urban guerilla fighting.
This is pretty much unwinnable for the Ukrainian Army.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Twitter wild just now with bollocks etc., but the rumours that Russian artillery hit the actual Chernobyl dome is spreading like f**k just now. Others saying that the amount of activity on the land with tanks etc., had chucked a tonne of radioactive dust into the atmosphere.

You can check the radiation levels online and, erm, its not good.

FMZicPjWYAASEAW?format=jpg&name=large

Been nice knowing you all.

I was already f#cked after visiting in 2005

Screenshot_20220225-074157~3.png

17 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Whats the difference ?

This. If they have the capability it makes sense to disrupt their ability to stage operations. Doesn't even matter if the airfield is now unusable or not. It will divert Russian resources away from their objectives to, for example seek out the launchers in the same way the coalition diverted tons of special forces and aircraft to hunt for Scuds in the first gulf war. 

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

They’re just trying to shake it off, shake it off.

Nobody needs this shite on a Friday, Am I right?

Let's get a TEAMS on Monday?

Eta I'm on Zoom, so text what happening.

Edited by SlipperyP

An interesting (although the PIIE article is dated) take on that figure:

That'll be the same for every country though. To be honest, I've no idea the practical difference between $600b and $450b in this situation, but being fourth on the list means that even the liquid amount is very significant.

the wee guy usually always ends up winning against a seemingly overwhelming enemy. Vietnam, Cuba, France in the 40s, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Korea, Somalia, Russia itself - at least 3 times, almost every empire the world has ever seen - you name it Roman, Ottoman, Mongol, Greek, British, French, Belgian, Dutch, Japanese, the list of failures is incredible.

The wee guy usually always wins? Those empires didn't get so big by consistently losing away matches to diddy teams.

When I say it’s insane, I meant it seemed so unexpected that Ukraine would have the capacity to do that. It makes sense militarily to do it. I think the Russians on the first day expected to have taken out most of the Ukraine air attack, jets and missiles and the air defence but it’s clear that hasn’t happened and has lead to losses for Russia and attacks on Russia proper.

Its not how I saw this developing. Russia, of course, has far more troops, armour and firepower and hasn’t deployed the majority of it yet.

Reports now of fighting in Kyiv suburbs with Russian special forces involved.

31 minutes ago, Richie said:

If Ukraine start attacking Russia itself it will escalate, greatly intensify the Russian response and give them propaganda opportunities domestically.
IMO the only thing the Ukrainians can do at the moment is to try and broker some sort of ceasefire, which will of course likely mean ceding power.
Otherwise its just going to be drawn out, with the same result and urban guerilla fighting.
This is pretty much unwinnable for the Ukrainian Army.

I pretty much agree with you however Russia is trying to invade and Ukraine are trying to stop that happening.So to try and stop that happening it makes perfect sense to try and take out the airfields that are being used to help with the invasion or do you think that Ukraine should just lie down and let the Russians roll in ? 

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

When I say it’s insane, I meant it seemed so unexpected that Ukraine would have the capacity to do that....

Bear in mind this happened very close to the DNR/LNR contact line where a large portion of Ukraine's best troops were stationed when this all kicked off.