Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

The Syrian war was and still is hugely complex, the people who looked like the goodies turned out to be baddies, and vice versa. This is fairly black and white for most people.

This is likely to be over in a few weeks. The war in Syria was horrific for 6-7 years, people are still suffering under sanctions and Idlib is a Jihadi safehaven.

It's not comparable. 

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I find it strange that I care more about this invasion than about, say, the war in Syria. Closer to home I suppose and it’s an invasion which feels more outrageous. People going about their lives and then getting bombed and shelled. It’s not on. 

It’s not strange at all.  The big difference is the war in Syria has absolutely zero impact on the world stage or tbh in Britain.  It’s something that is going on a long way from us that has no chance of impacting us.  Russia invading Ukraine will impact us economically.

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Restricting Russian nationals to a deposit limit of £50k per transaction into accounts held with UK banks = a "sanction" ??.

Tories have to get their funding from somewhere....

Also ironic that what was once an attempt at a Communist state, in Russia, has now gone full circle and become a Fascist one. Definition (a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition (protests/other parties) and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc.(oil and gas), and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism)

This is likely to be over in a few weeks. The war in Syria was horrific for 6-7 years, people are still suffering under sanctions and Idlib is a Jihadi safehaven.
It's not comparable. 

Few days more likely. I’d be surprised if Ukraine still existed as a sovereign state this time next week.

On 12/02/2022 at 07:33, LongTimeLurker said:

Famous last words possibly but think the full scale invasion scenario is being way overhyped by the western media. The buildup is probably more about Russia warning the Ukrainian government that attempting to use newly acquired Turkish drone technology to retake the Donbas militarily would have dire consequences for them. 

This take aged well.

I think a much smaller and less industrial Ukraine will survive.

Hard to see how Putin allows that, and it will be up to him when the Ukrainian surrender comes in. I think that Russia will be a much bigger country very shortly.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So far all they seem to have won control over is Chernobyl, quite the prize. 

Thats major is it not, though?

Everything I see about that suggests it gives them a free run at Kiev now, which hands them the nation effectively.

4 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

And St Johnstone doing the double. The Age of Chaos.

When we won the Cup in 2014 it was proof we'd entered the matrix, everything since is just further proof.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Hard to see how Putin allows that, and it will be up to him when the Ukrainian surrender comes in. I think that Russia will be a much bigger country very shortly.

I like how Iceland play the long game by waiting for an offshore volcano to increase their borders.

Between 1944 and 1950 a nationalist Ukrainian army fought against the Soviets in Western Ukraine. This was when Stalin's NKVD was all powerful.

Our recent adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan saw the effectiveness of a partisan movement in causing significant damage to an occupying force, whether that is Terry Taliban or Islamic fundamentalists.

The Russian Army may appear to win this war but a Ukrainian partisan movement would drain their resources for years.

Putin's actions remind me of Milosevic in Serbia. Milosevic rode the Serb nationalist tiger to power but was quite prepared to jettison protégés like the Krajina Serbs in Croatia when it suited him. Milosevic's ultimate undoing was that he was a gambler and Vlad has never struck me as being a gambler. This is ultimately about keeping Putin in power, no doubt he was alarmed by the protests against his wee pal Lukashenko in Belarus and the possibility of similar protests spreading. But it seems a gamble if a Ukrainian resistance movement leads to Russian soldiers coming back in coffins and this is the puzzle to me as I said Putin doesn't strike me as a gambler. Perhaps he has gone senile like Breznhev and Chernenko before him