Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

7 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Terrified. I'm going full WHAT THE f**k! You Europeans love a war.......Looking at history (what I love), 80 years shacking hands. Longest time since we had a tare up.

I'm just lucky, sitting on the sides (with family) nobody involved. YET

Don't worry. Russian missiles can reach Thailand. 

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The classic error of winning the battle but losing the war.

If this is how it transpires, it will be utterly humiliating for Putin and will serve as yet another reminder that in most cases, the wee guy usually always ends up winning against a seemingly overwhelming enemy. Vietnam, Cuba, France in the 40s, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Korea, Somalia, Russia itself - at least 3 times, almost every empire the world has ever seen - you name it Roman, Ottoman, Mongol, Greek, British, French, Belgian, Dutch, Japanese, the list of failures is incredible. Do NONE of these aggressors read history and think to learn from it? People don't like to be ordered about and will go to extraordinary lengths to keep their way of life.

Ukraine could well become ungovernable and if so it could well finish Putin as a political force.

The Russians already have experience of an insurgency in Chechnya - which was brutally stamped out under Putin. The Chinese have Xinjiang under lock, key and just about everything else. 

Just because Western armies of occupation flounder in the aftermath does not mean it is a general rule that the wee guy wins. In the vast majority of cases, they actually just get slaughtered and you never hear from them again. 

I'm not predicting that Russia can definitely do this in Ukraine, but they have fairly logical reasons to be confident. Crimea has already been absorbed outright. The breakaway republics were also propped up for 8 years without any international recognition and under intense pressure by Ukrainian forces. 

10 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There will be only one winner in all of this - realpolitik.  

I'd rather we lived in a rational world based on realpolitik than the fantasy island, liberal nonsense that history has now ended, states have unlimited sovereignty to shite on their neighbours' doorstep and that borders cannot possibly be adjusted to better fit contemporary reality. 

You do not get a host of 'frozen conflicts' and failed states in a healthy and functioning system of international relations. 

Edited by vikingTON

Expect and hope for the formal surrender by tomorrow at the latest, Russian tanks already in Kiev. If they don't get the white flag out soon there's going to be a lot of death.

39 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Putin has warned of retaliation of the likes we’ve never seen if Ukraine don’t comply. Now that Russia has lost nearly 500 personnel, you fear over what is to come next. I wouldn’t put it past Putin to drop a nuke on them.

Setting off nukes 500 miles upwind of Moscow might not be his smartest tactical move.

22 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Terrified. I'm going full WHAT THE f**k! You Europeans love a war.......Looking at history (what I love), 80 years shacking hands. Longest time since we had a tare up.

I'm just lucky, sitting on the sides (with family) nobody involved. YET

This isn't the first conflict in Europe for 80 years Slips.

11 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Ach who cares. Folk are just shooting the breeze. Just like they are on the covid thread. None of us have any influence anyway.

If we only ever spoke when we were 100% certain we'd have f**k all to talk about.

I'm not so sure about that...

Just now, TheScarf said:

Some people need to take a step back from this thread, f**k me.

The combination of the coronavirus thread, the Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread, and this thread cutting about at the same time really isn't doing some folks blood pressure any good.

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The combination of the coronavirus thread, the Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread, and this thread cutting about at the same time really isn't doing some folks blood pressure any good.

Will the world survive long enough for this one to overtake the Covid thread? 🤔

38 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Ukrainian MOD has said that territorial defence units are fighting RUssians in the capital.  The territorial defence units are armed militias.  They have also said that people in Obolon district, where fighting is ongoing, should remain in their houses and "prepare Molotov cocktails".

Do Ukrainians keep petrol and glass bottles to hand just in case?

I suppose if I lived near Russia I may do the same. Probably buy some weapons too. Maybe the US have it right.

Twitter is chock-full of #alphas saying the UK should be putting boots on the ground.

I assume these folk have made beelines for the nearest recruiting offices.