Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Well, he's invaded the whole country so you have to think he's doing this to control Ukraine entirely.

If he stops at that point he'll have the rebels to contend with.

If he pushes into a NATO country next all hell will break loose and I wouldn't like to guess where that could lead.

I suspect he will stop at Ukraine and go no further but then I didn't expect him to go into Ukraine so...

I'm not aware of him making any noises about any other neighbouring NATO country other than Ukraine so it might all end here.

Another possibility is that he defangs Ukraine and then withdraws while keeping the two eastern regions.

Well, he's invaded the whole country so you have to think he's doing this to control Ukraine entirely.
If he stops at that point he'll have the rebels to contend with.
If he pushes into a NATO country next all hell will break loose and I wouldn't like to guess where that could lead.
I suspect he will stop at Ukraine and go no further but then I didn't expect him to go into Ukraine so...
I'm not aware of him making any noises about any other neighbouring NATO country other than Ukraine so it might all end here.
There's a distinct difference between an invasion and an occupation - at the moment it is an invasion - whether they choose to remain and try to occupy the whole country is another matter.

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No, I ‘get’ dark humour, this was Scotland fans making genuine enquiries about if the game will go ahead etc. 

will be a new low for Scotland.  First team to get papped out of a world cup by a country that doesn’t actually exist.

Who’s fucking like us eh?

Another possibility is that he defangs Ukraine and then withdraws while keeping the two eastern regions.
Which is what I suggested.

Militarily weaken them by destroying their military hardware and bases, then pulling back. Ukraine no longer a threat, he has a buffer with the West and he claims victory on the domestic front, by saying he was only protecting the Russians in Donbas.

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No, I ‘get’ dark humour, this was Scotland fans making genuine enquiries about if the game will go ahead etc. 

will be playing the USSR at this rate

Edited by red23

53 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He's obviously hoping for further disintegration of the EU, but small moves in the right direction are always pleasing. I'm sure he has strong hopes for Hungary, and a bit bewildered why Poland won't be pals.

He'll be disappointed - there's no serious appetite in any of the 27 Member States to leave. If anything, one of the main blockers within the EU is gone. Think there's more chance of Poland/Hungary being thrown out than a voluntary exit and the wider threat of Brexit to the EU itself has been successfully contained. 

Perhaps Poland and Hungary are the EU's problem children, but they'll choose it over Russia. 

After this, what's to stop him rolling troops, tanks and aircraft right into Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia as well?

At the end of the day all Putin cares about is Putin, lining his own pockets and playing the hard man to his supporters. 

He will continue to laugh at economic sanctions, as he knows that Europe is dependent on Russian oil an gas. Once he has occupied Ukraine, although there will be ongoing guerrilla style pushback from the locals, he will be emboldened to push on into the Baltic states, in time.

What is particularly worrying is that he has China in his back pocket as supporters as well.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

All that is going to do is hasten the day Ukraine joins NATO

Probably the opposite, tbh, if Ukraine even exists by the end of the month.

Now every nation around Russia knows that even thinking about joining NATO will see them have their armies obliterated, lands occupied, and civilians slaughtered, and those in the West can do nothing to stop it.

I'm just dreading the moment the US decides to declare war and send troops to fight Russia. That would be the end of us. If that war begins then theres no endgame, neither nation can win, until nuclear weapons are deployed, likely by the desperate, losing, nation. Do you think Hitler would've fired Nukes as Berlin fell?

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

After this, what's to stop him rolling troops, tanks and aircraft right into Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia as well?

He’s been at it in Ukraine - an aspirational NATO and EU member - since 2014. Moldova, yes, certainly at risk. Baltic states with their memberships, nae chance. 

Spoiler

I have been known to make bold predictions in the past. Some good, some not so much.