Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

23 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Boris yeltsin was in charge when they joined in  1997 so yeah he couldnt 

strange that boris did not see a threat there .

He was probably too drunk to see anything tbh.

34 minutes ago, Lex said:

A bit of both of those things yep. There was perhaps a naive hope amongst some  that a full scale invasion would result in some kind of military assistance from the west, even if it was just air cover enforcing a no fly zone, that's clearly not going to happen. A bit of it was for show aswell.

Ukraine knows as well as anyone that they can't win an outright war against Russia. They either surrender, or fight back and lose, and the latter would be very bloody. It will be interesting to see if there's much appetite for an insurgent, guerrilla style fightback amongst Ukrainians. They could win if they turned it into a long war with roadside IED's and ambushes of Russian patrols etc. Worked for the Taliban, although it did take 20 years.  I would doubt it, Putin has a lot of supporters in Ukraine and can't see the appetite for the level of destruction that kind of campaign would cause. 

The Russian flag will be flying in Kiev by Sunday, and that will hopefully be the end of the killing. 

I think with Afghanistan the geography of the country helped them, the mountain warfare, caves etc. that plus they had hundreds of years of experience of fighting various invading forces and recent experience of fighting the russians in the 80’s. 

Also its a bit fucking sickening to see Scotland fans genuinely asking if they’re going to get a bye when there’s people losing everything and many losing their lives. Football match? f**k up. 

8 minutes ago, Lex said:

They’re part of NATO. An attack on them is the same as an attack on America or France in terms of what kind of reaction it would get.
Least that’s what that alliance is meant to mean… in practice, I’m not sure if it would hold.
Surely even Mad Vlad is going to test that though. Plenty of non NATO states that are ripe for the picking before he looks at them.

I've never really believed that although it's useful as a deterrent. "Mr President, London has been nuked, it's time to launch a full nuclear exchange with the USSR." "Steady on lad, no need to be hasty, they haven't bombed us yet."

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think with Afghanistan the geography of the country helped them, the mountain warfare, caves etc. that plus they had hundreds of years of experience of fighting various invading forces and recent experience of fighting the russians in the 80’s. 

Also its a bit fucking sickening to see Scotland fans genuinely asking if they’re going to get a bye when there’s people losing everything and many losing their lives. Football match? f**k up. 

We played through our wars in Yugoslavia and Iraq so why would Ukraine not play?

I've never really believed that although it's useful as a deterrent. "Mr President, London has been nuked, it's time to launch a full nuclear exchange with the USSR." "Steady on lad, no need to be hasty, they haven't bombed us yet."

I don’t there’s any chance it’s going to happen, but It’s an interesting hypothetical scenario.
If Russian tanks roll into Lithuania, is there any realistic chance of America declaring war on Russia? Nope. What will happen is nothing, just the facade of NATO ceasing to exist.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

The RAF shooting down a rogue bear into the Moray Firth would spice it up a bit imo.

If it’s over the Moray Firth it deserves to get shot down, think the Russians learned not to enter a NATO countries Airspace when the Turkish shot their jet down. 

Edited by San Starko Rover