Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

6 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

It certainly looks as if Mad Vlad is for WW3.

I don't think he actively wants it, as there's no victory to be had there for anyone, but it looks like he won't be afraid to goad NATO into it.

Realistically the only folk who can stop him are himself, or the KGB. I've no idea if they're likely to pop him off if he starts causing a serious threat to Russia itself, which is what WW3 would be.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Mr Johnson said the UK stood ready for any request from Nato to go further with military support, adding there could be no normalisation of relations with Russia after this act.

If we didn’t already know it then the statement above confirms that with that moron as prime minister we are in real trouble.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye. If/when Russia seize Kiev and assassinate the Ukranian president, I think that'll be us over the hill and rolling towards WW3. If the threats against Finland/Sweden are true then it shows Russia want it to happen and are trying to push NATO into it.

The moment the USA and Russia declare war on each other then we're fucked. Neither side can win so it's just an endless battle until one chucks a nuke.

I think the longer we avoid that the better, and hopefully Putin decides to back down a little.

As we are discussing it NATO has activated (,on standby) the NATO Response Force. Here we go. 

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

There are a few more here: https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ukraine/kyiv-city-council/kyiv/obolon.html

I was watching one earlier from the roof of a hotel, you could hear an English media crew in the background chatting about an upcoming broadcast, the mouthpiece being asked by the producer (I think) if he was going to say he'd been in Kiev. Yes, he said, anyway it might be true, you never know it could have been the edge of the suburbs..

What are you doing on a roof at your age?

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Now we know that, if the tanks and jackboots come to Scotland, the bombs fall and our country is attacked by airstrikes, one man will not be on the front line defending his homeland. @AlbionSaint will be at home, in bed, with the duvet right over his head.

If I started this conflict in Kiev, I'd be in Marseille by now.

5 hours ago, Snafu said:

13 defiant Ukrainian border guards refusing to surrender to a Russian warship before being shelled and killed.

I didn't know Craggy Island was in Ukraine.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

As we are discussing it NATO has activated (,on standby) the NATO Response Force. Here we go. 

Not going into Ukraine though, so its up to Putin still what happens.

Proper "one minute to midnight" feeling about this now. We are absolutely fucked.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not going into Ukraine though, so its up to Putin still what happens.

Proper "one minute to midnight" feeling about this now. We are absolutely fucked.

All these hours I've spent playing fallout won't be wasted. 

23 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Mr Johnson said the UK stood ready for any request from Nato to go further with military support, adding there could be no normalisation of relations with Russia after this act.

If we didn’t already know it then the statement above confirms that with that moron as prime minister we are in real trouble.

There's utter lunatics pulling the strings in every major country at the moment, so joking aside, we probably SHOULD be pretty worried.

3 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Just spoke to my friend Olena, she is trapped in Turkey and can’t get back to her two young children and her dog in Odesa. She told me her parents are in Kherson and there is heavy shelling nearby. It’s absolute heartbreaking. 

That is dreadful.  Hopefully they come through unscathed.

58 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Jens Stoltenberg - Cyberattacks "can trigger Article 5".

😬

Wait did he actually state this? I'm sure that historians in 100 years' time will be delighted to know that the all-out nuclear war of our century was caused by the combination of a wild NATO statement and some teenage VL hacker in Omsk. 

The critical and as yet unregulated international framework for cyberwarfare should not be made up on the hoof at a fucking press conference. Stoltenberg is the most risible clown with a microphone since Clownshoes Leitch. 

IDK, from what I’ve been seeing/hearing today I’m not so sure it’s such a forgone conclusion.

Not that it’s a win for anyone but the common language, the facing down of Russian soldiers eye to eye and the very real prospect of an urban guerilla war, this won’t be over for a long while yet. 

Grimly compelling I’m ashamed to say. 

7 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Just spoke to my friend Olena, she is trapped in Turkey and can’t get back to her two young children and her dog in Odesa. She told me her parents are in Kherson and there is heavy shelling nearby. It’s absolute heartbreaking. 

Mutual friend I believe,is hopefully getting his in laws out

Edited by doulikefish