2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

Wee-Bey

I pretty well ignore party affiliation in Inverness, independents usually have the balance of power so I just vote for who seems to be hard working, sound and not a Tory obviously.

Edited by welshbairn

Seven candidates here; all the usual suspects, plus an independent whose mother was accidentally run over and said terrorists would be able to kill people with cars and escape punishment because the sheriff didn't send the elderly driver to jail. Make of that what you will.

I've had Tory and Alba leaflets through the door.  The Alba one went straight in the bin, the Tory one, as expected, mentioned the SNP about 527 times, I had a laugh at it, then fired it in the bin as well.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

My local candidates are 1x snp, 1x labour and 2x tory, for 3 council seats. Im struggling to do anything other than spoil my ballot, snp raising council tax but removing services/making an arse of the public sector at large, labour- wouldnt vote for them after their lies in 2014 and running bigoted candidates in other areas with no concern before you even consider the absolute arseholes in london. How do you even comprehend voting Tory? You genuinely have to be devoid of a soul or a shred of decency to vote for those fucking scumbags. 

If that's your view of the Tories, you should rank them 3 &4, then toss a coin about which order to rank snp and Labour for 1 & 2.

Spoiling your ballot makes it slightly more likely that a tory will be elected

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

If that's your view of the Tories, you should rank them 3 &4, then toss a coin about which order to rank snp and Labour for 1 & 2.

No the snp being shite and unelectable makes it more likely that one will be elected. It really doesnt matter who gets the votes locally as they are all arseholes in their own way, its just a shame the biggest descent into arseholery is the party i used to belong to and have voted for all my life. 

4 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

You’d be as well talking to the wall.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

My local candidates are 1x snp, 1x labour and 2x tory, for 3 council seats. Im struggling to do anything other than spoil my ballot, snp raising council tax but removing services/making an arse of the public sector at large, labour- wouldnt vote for them after their lies in 2014 and running bigoted candidates in other areas with no concern before you even consider the absolute arseholes in london. How do you even comprehend voting Tory? You genuinely have to be devoid of a soul or a shred of decency to vote for those fucking scumbags. 

This is why I would love a “none of the above” option on the ballot 

I'm not in Scotland.

We have one guy running as both Plaid and Green, which i've never heard of before. I know they had a no contest agreement but that seems different. Kind of stops me voting Green because of Plaid's mental linguistic xenophobe wing in the North. 

Lib Dems candidates came round door knocking and apologised for the coalition.  I asked what their main priorities were and they were parks and road safety. I was looking for the bins and mental health provision, so they've failed. 

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Absolutely not.

Just the policies which he was outlining.

I thought you didn’t like to bring party politics into local elections.

There are limits. Have a read of this before you fully sign up to the hysteria bandwagon, abandoning your libertarian principles , it's very short. 

https://news.stv.tv/opinion/this-is-what-scotland-can-learn-from-irelands-gender-self-id-scheme

The Scottish family party election broadcast is primarily filmed in Aberdour. Sad to see my old home town associated with such bigoted and backward views. As for them filming in the school I struggle to understand why Fife Council gave them permission to do so.

54 minutes ago, 101 said:

The Scottish family party election broadcast is primarily filmed in Aberdour. Sad to see my old home town associated with such bigoted and backward views. As for them filming in the school I struggle to understand why Fife Council gave them permission to do so.

Looks like it was filmed using a drone so they probably didn't bother to get permission. 

Conservative candidate for Alford, Huntly & Strathbogie suspended by the party

The Scottish Conservatives have suspended a council candidate after he allegedly grabbed a person by the throat. 

Robbie Withey was elected to represent the party in 2017 for the Alford, Huntly and Strathbogie ward of Aberdeenshire Council.

He was standing to be re-elected in the upcoming election but has been suspended after a video emerged showing the incident. 

The candidate threatened to put the other person on their “f***ing arse”, adding that “would be a prelude to putting you in the grave, you little f***ing c***”.

The disturbance reportedly took place in the early hours of Saturday outside a property 25 miles west of Aberdeen in Alford, the Press and Journal reported.

An investigation is ongoing into the incident, and another man has been arrested and charged.

A police spokesperson said: “An 18-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with a disturbance at a property on Main Street, Alford, which was reported around 2.30am on Saturday, April 9, 2022.

“The man has been released on undertaking and will appear at Aberdeen Sheriff Court at a later date.”

A Scottish Conservative spokesperson said: “We have suspended this candidate. We cannot comment further while a police investigation is ongoing.”