The Annexed Goodwillie Thread

3 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

He may well now settle for a bit less than the full amount given all this constant adverse publicity surrounding him, it has to be taking its toll on his family who really are innocent in all this, course thats assuming he cares about them

I suspect his decision will be to take a 70-90% payout and move overseas. I also wonder if his family isn’t effectively ended by this. Staying in Scotland after this ruckus doesn’t seem appealing.

53 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

In the hypothetical world of early lump sum settlements to end a contract, this may prove to be unique in the sense that DG might expect to earn say, £150k over the term of the contract. In a normal situation, a club might offer a player £75k in exchange for the termination of said contract with no restrictions on future earnings no matter where he went.

In this case, he might well choose to reject the hypothetical £75k, and choose to take his £150k over the term of the contract…….or, his lawyer/agent might say in respect of termination of the contract, and allowing RR to avoid two further years of negative PR and reputational damage, then how much of a price do RR choose to put on that component?

To go early and never be seen again won’t cost RR £75k or even £150k. The price will be £200k, and that allows RR to begin “building bridges” immediately with no elephant in the room.

I've got no expertise in the area whatsoever, but would you not expect the maximum payout to be his weekly salary multiplied by however many weeks are left on his contract? Ie, that's the "no negotiation" figure, if the Rovers just unilaterally decided to bullet him. Why would there be a scope to negotiate above that figure? 

To use your example, I'd have thought that without negotiations Goodwillie cancelling the contract outright would mean he walks away with £0 (which he'd never do, obviously), and the Rovers cancelling it means he walks away with £150k as a lump sum. All the negotiation is about finding a payment figure inbetween and a payment schedule that suits too. Clyde's involvement will have complicated that, but ultimately it's between those two limits. No? 

11 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I've got no expertise in the area whatsoever, but would you not expect the maximum payout to be his weekly salary multiplied by however many weeks are left on his contract? Ie, that's the "no negotiation" figure, if the Rovers just unilaterally decided to bullet him. Why would there be a scope to negotiate above that figure? 

To use your example, I'd have thought that without negotiations Goodwillie cancelling the contract outright would mean he walks away with £0 (which he'd never do, obviously), and the Rovers cancelling it means he walks away with £150k as a lump sum. All the negotiation is about finding a payment figure inbetween and a payment schedule that suits too. Clyde's involvement will have complicated that, but ultimately it's between those two limits. No? 

Because his contract would have goal and other bonuses included. It’s all well and good saying that these are incentives that he may never have hit however I’m sure he could argue that they never gave him a single opportunity to hit them.

Goodwillie has absolutely no incentive to settle here, as it stands. He will not get another club in Scotland unless it's some ex-Junior gang, so his time in the professional game here is over. Moreover, no-one in England will have him either. His only real bet to continue in the game is to find a club outside the UK, perhaps in the Middle East or something. As it stands, his career is finished; it's his last payday. 

This is the problem we have - he will hold for the maximum whilst he kicks his heels and he is entitled to do so, annoying as that is. Where you have another option open to you then you might settle for less, but this isn't on the table  at the moment. We can try to negotiate him down and I am sure that we are, but really thus is a problem of our own doing. 

12 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

My interpretation is that Goodwillie is now so toxic that he has no chance of getting another job, anywhere. I guess taking a lower payoff is done to free you up and then take another job immediately. So basically the best scenario for him is to sit back and draw his wage for 2.5 seasons. If Raith want shot of him completely to draw a line under things they might need to go above the salary owed to convince him. Might be well off the mark of course

4 hours ago, Offshore Rover said:

The fact he went out on loan to Clyde suggests to me that he rejected any kind of pay off from us, with neither him nor us happy to settle on a payment/payment plan. It may be even more difficult trying to pay him off now with Clyde not wanting him either.

Complete and utter shambles as per usual. 

I never thought of that! :lol:

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

In the hypothetical world of early lump sum settlements to end a contract, this may prove to be unique in the sense that DG might expect to earn say, £150k over the term of the contract. In a normal situation, a club might offer a player £75k in exchange for the termination of said contract with no restrictions on future earnings no matter where he went.

In this case, he might well choose to reject the hypothetical £75k, and choose to take his £150k over the term of the contract…….or, his lawyer/agent might say in respect of termination of the contract, and allowing RR to avoid two further years of negative PR and reputational damage, then how much of a price do RR choose to put on that component?

To go early and never be seen again won’t cost RR £75k or even £150k. The price will be £200k, and that allows RR to begin “building bridges” immediately with no elephant in the room.

Assuming Rovers don’t have £200k, or a wealthy benefactor willing to spunk £200k for no real benefit, what do we do?

Raith should just tell him to f**k off and wait for him to take them to court. His defence is hardly likely to be "But they knew I was a rapist when they signed me."

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Assuming Rovers don’t have £200k, or a wealthy benefactor willing to spunk £200k for no real benefit, what do we do?

I assume in that case your only option would be to have him on gardening leave and pay him for the duration of his contract.

I can’t imagine it’ll come to that - it seems your board have been looking at ways to lessen the amount you need to pay him but now that that’s fucked will just get shot of him. 

16 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Raith should just tell him to f**k off and wait for him to take them to court. His defence is hardly likely to be "But they knew I was a rapist when they signed me."

If he takes them to court, he won't need a defence. They will.

19 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Tempting though this might seem, we will get rinsed in court if we try this sort of thing. 

26 minutes ago, GordonD said:

His defence? He'll be the plaintiff not defending anything. If they take that stance and he takes them to court with a civil case for breach of contract then I am pretty sure that he would easily win his case and get his costs awarded to him. It is highly unlikely he would get any punitive damages awarded to him (as it is a civil case in which they are virtually unheard of) or get any additional compensation for loss of reputation (he has no reputation left) but they would still be theoretical risks and  all it would do would be to increase the ultimate bill they have to meet. It's not going to  happen.

Okay, Goodwillie would probably have to fund the case, but given it would a trivial win with his costs awarded, that is not a huge risk. If he was still a PFA Scotland member he could even get them to fund his case, although I suspect they will have thrown him out of the players union already for bringing the organisation into disrepute.

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile
Typo

Get him to F@@k  damage limitation now for me !

A bitter pill to swallow but the rovers board didn’t listen to us nor the major sponsors and this is the mess we are now in , Still  can’t believe Clyde either are they mad ? Do we have the finances luckily for us yes having played celtic twice away this season but it’s a pity as this would have made a difference in signing players in the close season 

His only real bet to continue in the game is to find a club outside the UK, perhaps in the Middle East or something.

Even that might be difficult. Cowdenbeast right back Craig Thomson was on his way to Cyprus until they found out about his sex offences.

The whole situation is a mess, so let’s look at some data:

1) DG is toxic across the UK.

2)I understand DG was training for a job outside football.

3) This little detour into idiocy has likely rendered DG incapable of securing any job, let alone footballing at any business in Scotland…and probably the UK.

4) DG has a family.

So, this leaves us with the question, would DG leave the UK, and likely Europe, to find another job in football?

A) Money. If he has no real job prospect in the UK, he may need to travel and work because even some £200k is not nearly enough to last his lifetime.

B) Family. Are they willing to travel/move?

C) Risk. With his high profile, where would hire him?

So, given that, if he elects to find another job in football in some far locale, it behoves him to do it quickly. To do that, he would want a release from RRFC, and would possibly be willing to accept a partial payout immediately versus installments over the whole contract life that would leave him unable to play elsewhere.

The other option is to ask RRFC for a premium to have him walk quick and quietly.

Unless his contract has a shall play stipulation, highly unlikely, DG has no claim on his possible bonuses, as the team could easily have never played him anyway.

If he is currently working outside football, it has been kept very low profile, but I wouldn’t expect that to continue. I’d also expect this controversy to dog any company that hires DG because his bankruptcy and non-payment of the court judgement leaves a bad taste in many mouths, especially when combined with his denials.

Well no disrespect but that will clearly will be his stance if it went to court. Ie "nothing has changed in his life in the 5 years of playing with Clyde, that raith can justify freezing him out" IMO We ir Raith will get screwed over big time.