Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I love the new AI model they've got going on - constant ads for crypto scams, with AI Elon Musk or Jordan Peterson announcing their amazing new scheme THAT THE GOVERNMENT IS ABOUT TO BAN!!! which will make everybody in the world a millionaire. It's funny how you don't see many of these with, say, Bernie Sanders or Greta Thunberg.

There was one going about a few months back using a British celebrity that I will give you a million pounds (of my own crypto currency) if you can guess.  Take your time.

Chris Packham, from the R|eally Wild Show.

58 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fell off a cliff

Screenshot_20231220_184725_Opera.jpg

What this actually means is that instead of November being the month with the highest cost of living ever since these things have been measured, as was expected, it was actually second or third, depending on what index you use. I only scanned the BBC story you got the chart from so I may have missed where that was pointed out.

12 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

What this actually means is that instead of November being the month with the highest cost of living ever since these things have been measured, as was expected, it was actually second or third, depending on what index you use. I only scanned the BBC story you got the chart from so I may have missed where that was pointed out.

Yip, food alone on average 27% more across the board than Nov 2021. Headline inflation figures have been turned into a moot irrelevance, a figure the Govt can trot out to somehow justify the course they are on when in reality it's been manipulated and controlled totally by external factors.

Off a cliff = stop the boats. Inflation down to 3.9% = boat crossings down a third (whilst falling to mention the actual number of people arriving via the Channel is only down a seventh). A total smoke and mirrors job.

The Aldi ground Italian coffee my wife likes is currently £2.19.

The CPI index may be down to 3.9%, but it cant alter the fact that this item cost £1.25 in 2021, which is a ~ 75% increase..........

The cynic in me suggests that the price paid by punters like me wont be falling by anything like 75% even if headline inflation gets back down toward the BoE target.

I just checked and Lavazza ground coffee in Sainsburys is £3.50 - so the Aldi one looks like a bargain by comparison - someone, somewhere in the supply chain* is scalping the cash, and ultimately its us mugs that pay the price.

*supermarket radio version of Simple Minds words

29 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Can you do one showing the actual price of goods?

If you can point me to where I said the price of goods would come down, gladly.

But I didn't. 

All I said was it would fall off a cliff, was told I was talking pish, and have come back to highlight I was spot on.

Especially to the likes of @Wee Bully

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But I didn't. 

All I said was it would fall off a cliff, was told I was talking pish, and have come back to highlight I was spot on.

I'm intrigued by the idea that something still going up can be considered to be falling off a cliff.

I can see why a desperate government would trumpet your graph but quite why anyone else would is beyond me.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

52 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But I didn't. 

Did people actually expect a significant period of deflation? Has that even happened since the 60s? 

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'm intrigued by the idea that something still going up can be considered to be falling off a cliff.

I can see why a desperate government would trumpet your graph but quite why anyone else would is beyond me.

Because, as was obvious and predictable, inflation did fall off a cliff.

Inflation slowing ≠ prices falling. I'd like to think people know the difference but I'm genuinely not sure anymore.

It certainly hasn’t fallen off a cliff. It is 6 months further down the line than any cliff edge would have been.  The suggestion was that there were events in March / April 2022 which caused a massive spike.  If that had been all, then 12 months later it should have been back to “normal”. It wasn’t, which was clear to all of us who actually could see it was multi factorial.

Another complete and utter riddy for @Todd_is_God

Just now, Wee Bully said:

It certainly hasn’t fallen off a cliff. It is 6 months further down the line than any cliff edge would have been.  The suggestion was that there were events in March / April 2022 which caused a massive spike.  If that had been all, then 12 months later it should have been back to “normal”. It wasn’t, which was clear to all of us who actually could see it was multi factorial.

Another complete and utter riddy for @Todd_is_God

😂😂😂

Utterly seething

6 hours ago, Leith Green said:

The Aldi ground Italian coffee my wife likes is currently £2.19.

The CPI index may be down to 3.9%, but it cant alter the fact that this item cost £1.25 in 2021, which is a ~ 75% increase..........

The cynic in me suggests that the price paid by punters like me wont be falling by anything like 75% even if headline inflation gets back down toward the BoE target.

I just checked and Lavazza ground coffee in Sainsburys is £3.50 - so the Aldi one looks like a bargain by comparison - someone, somewhere in the supply chain* is scalping the cash, and ultimately its us mugs that pay the price.

*supermarket radio version of Simple Minds words

Inflation could sit at zero for a couple of years and the coffee would remain at £2.19.  You would need deflation to get it back to the £1.25.  Incidentally it is the coffee that I buy, indistinguishable from similar from Taylor of Harrogate which hovers around the £3.75 mark in tesco.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Inflation could sit at zero for a couple of years and the coffee would remain at £2.19.  You would need deflation to get it back to the £1.25.  Incidentally it is the coffee that I buy, indistinguishable from similar from Taylor of Harrogate which hovers around the £3.75 mark in tesco.

Dont worry, inflation being down gives wages a chance to catch up, we'll see a wee upturn in living standards that way. 

We'll definitely see that. 

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It seems the Tory Govt have been fiddling the GDP figures with the last 2 quarters both revised down after "scrutiny" leaving the UK on the brink of recession again. The really are getting beyond parody. 

It’s perfectly normal for these figures to get revised as more data becomes available.  When they are first released there’s an element of guesswork in there.  Anyone who pays any attention to the news knows this.

The ONS is not even a government body.  Not every single thing that happens is a government on the fiddle.