Lowland league

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think this is remotely true. Look at some of the teams who are currently in the top half of the Lowland League.

I'm gonna take that back, I was on a roll, but yeah id say at least the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the SPFL2 and include the top 4 ish of the Lowland, excluding the old firm B teams and I suppose I'm going to include the possibility of the top 4 in the West and East of Scotland teams but at the very worst, because anything can happen in a game, those 2nd divisions teams bottom end are no better that the ones I've stated.

Look at the winners of SPFL 1 and SPFL2  Cove Rangers and Kelty.

I'm stating this as the new teams coming through and doing great and the teams going down and not usually making an immediate return

9 minutes ago, Lurcer said:

Thanks for that info. I don’t know if I stand corrected or not. What do you think ?

I think the levels below the Premier in the West and the East are both rather thin. A change of manager or committee can change a club's fortunes in a single season. So for better or worse Conferences make some things unpredictable.

6 hours ago, RedEd said:

At the end of the 1993-94 season five clubs were relegated from the 12 team SFL First Division and eight from the 14 team Second Division.

As part of a league reconstruction which is arguably what is happening in the WoSL and EoSL right now.

46 minutes ago, rockson said:

Both bank-rolled heavily.

And Bo'ness United didn't exactly storm the Lowland League this season.

So what if any team is bank rolled

It doesn't matter what league or team they are, if they have money and can pay for better players, facilities etc.. then good on them. I was part of a squad bought by the  new chairman when he came in and our remit was to get to the top division, lots of people were jealous of us and wanted to beat us.   Most people are just jealous of the teams that find money from a sponsor or new chairman etc..  This has happened over the years, eras and even now, and will continue to do so, so what, no big deal.

Both of those clubs, I believe have come from the Lowland and Highland league and both have won a SPFL championship so it really means that teams from lower down under the SPFL can come up and win these leagues. So the relegation and promotion should be opened up

Regarding teams like Bo'ness, i not sure how they did and the reasons they got to this season, coudl be the management, the coaching, the committee the relationship.  Did they expect to win the Lowland, most people with an interest coudl tell us.
Every team in the leagues, we all expect certain things from them, to win or finish bottom or mid table and sometimes they do more, sometimes they do less than expected, that's one of the reason why we love football and its exciting

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm not sure many were predicting some of these names that will make up the new Third Division.

image.png.723c2ee7295c8c618c70a39bc12d1730.png

It's been a football revolution with the changes from the Juns to the Sens and a couple of covid ridden years, plus natural ups and downs. Clubs can settle now and regroup which is something positive.

7 hours ago, Dev said:

It's been a football revolution with the changes from the Juns to the Sens and a couple of covid ridden years, plus natural ups and downs. Clubs can settle now and regroup which is something positive.

Very fair comment. This season has been a horror show, for almost all divisions of the WoSFL but should all be on an even keel from the beginning of next. However, the one club promotion thing is a scandal which can't just be shooed away by saying that it will all come good in 10 years. Hopefully, the WoSFL, EoSFL and SOS will be like wasps in the ears of the SFA, bringing it up at any given opportunity which should include petitions, letters and maybe even some good old fashioned legal action threats.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Very fair comment. This season has been a horror show, for almost all divisions of the WoSFL but should all be on an even keel from the beginning of next. However, the one club promotion thing is a scandal which can't just be shooed away by saying that it will all come good in 10 years. Hopefully, the WoSFL, EoSFL and SOS will be like wasps in the ears of the SFA, bringing it up at any given opportunity which should include petitions, letters and maybe even some good old fashioned legal action threats.

I agree with you that there should be more promotion etc, but If you look at the facts on this, then is it such a scandal? That system was in place when all the teams came over, so everyone knew what they were getting into. The fact that the LL have refused to open up so far is not great, but was always a possibility due to it being a members organisation.

9 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

It doesn't matter what league or team they are, if they have money and can pay for better players, facilities etc.. then good on them. I was part of a squad bought by the  new chairman when he came in and our remit was to get to the top division, lots of people were jealous of us and wanted to beat us.   Most people are just jealous of the teams that find money from a sponsor or new chairman etc..  This has happened over the years, eras and even now, and will continue to do so, so what, no big deal.

Both of those clubs, I believe have come from the Lowland and Highland league and both have won a SPFL championship so it really means that teams from lower down under the SPFL can come up and win these leagues. So the relegation and promotion should be opened up

Regarding teams like Bo'ness, i not sure how they did and the reasons they got to this season, coudl be the management, the coaching, the committee the relationship.  Did they expect to win the Lowland, most people with an interest coudl tell us.
Every team in the leagues, we all expect certain things from them, to win or finish bottom or mid table and sometimes they do more, sometimes they do less than expected, that's one of the reason why we love football and its exciting

Edinburgh city one of the lowland league founder members.also have progressed up the spfl with a budget which was less than some present LL and HL clubs.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

The sfa are virtually powerless!!! in this situation,the spfl (42 clubs) are the ones that hold the power.their a different organisation with their own rules as they run the league they can vote against well anything as its a members organisation,given that tier 5 is under that umbrella as well LL,HL. Have to play under these rules from the start,for 3 seansons there was no play of to the spfl.then they wanted club to be licenced before they could get into the play off,when speaking to Neil Doncaster about anything his war cry was always i'll take this to my members for them to vote on.

20 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

The sfa are virtually powerless!!! in this situation,the spfl (42 clubs) are the ones that hold the power.their a different organisation with their own rules as they run the league they can vote against well anything as its a members organisation,given that tier 5 is under that umbrella as well LL,HL. Have to play under these rules from the start,for 3 seansons there was no play of to the spfl.then they wanted club to be licenced before they could get into the play off,when speaking to Neil Doncaster about anything his war cry was always i'll take this to my members for them to vote on.

They are not powerless, it's just that they have devolved that particular power to the SPFL. Therefore the lobbying should be directed at the SPFL.

49 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I agree with you that there should be more promotion etc, but If you look at the facts on this, then is it such a scandal? That system was in place when all the teams came over, so everyone knew what they were getting into. The fact that the LL have refused to open up so far is not great, but was always a possibility due to it being a members organisation.

Ok but the goalposts have been moved by allowing the ugly sisters to circumvent the system making it even less likely for the bottom end to be opened. Again the LL is a bottleneck and are preventing progression to preserve their own interests. Previously the LL was the bottom rung but now that the pyramid is much more advanced then it's scandalous that it's being allowed to remain as such. The SFA or SPFL need to exert some power.

It doesn't matter what league or team they are, if they have money and can pay for better players, facilities etc.. then good on them.

The point about being bankrolled heavily is that when you get promoted you can afford to sign players who are frequently too good for the level you are playing at and replace the players who got you there. Look at Kelty signing Barjonas, Cardle, O'Ware etc O'Ware and Cardle were part of the squad that won league one last season and then signed to play in league two. I don't have a problem with teams doing this but to dismiss the significance of having significant financial backing is unfair.

46 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

They are not powerless, it's just that they have devolved that particular power to the SPFL. Therefore the lobbying should be directed at the SPFL.

Look at it this way,some members of the sfa board are also members of the spfl.they will most always do what's best for them just look at the dundee fiasco.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

27 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

Look at it this way,some members of the sfa board are also members of the spfl.they will most always do what's best for them just look at the dundee fiasco.

Is there a massive conflict of interest at the heart of what's wrong with the pyramid? From what I read here some of the same people and or clubs sit on both the SFA and the SPFL.

It would be understandable under usual circumstances to have that sort of situation but where a person and or club has a conflict of interests on ANY SFA matter then hopefully the SFA records show that it was owned up to in time so that no particular vote, or even discussion, involved people who were in such a conflict position.

It's a bit like what goes on in Government or Local Government. People have to declare their interests and not vote or debate any matter formally.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Is there a massive conflict of interest at the heart of what's wrong with the pyramid? From what I read here some of the same people and or clubs sit on both the SFA and the SPFL.

It would be understandable under usual circumstances to have that sort of situation but where a person and or club has a conflict of interests on ANY SFA matter then hopefully the SFA records show that it was owned up to in time so that no particular vote, or even discussion, involved people who were in such a conflict position.

It's a bit like what goes on in Government or Local Government. People have to declare their interests and not vote or debate any matter formally.

Semantics. There's a problem which everyone except the LL clubs can plainly see so it should be addressed. If the SFA and SPFL want to play hot tattie with it then so be it but shouldn't mean that the WoSFL, EoSFL and SoS should just shrug their shoulders.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Semantics. There's a problem which everyone except the LL clubs can plainly see so it should be addressed. If the SFA and SPFL want to play hot tattie with it then so be it but shouldn't mean that the WoSFL, EoSFL and SoS should just shrug their shoulders.

Please believe me when I assure you that the tier 6 leagues are not just shrugging their shoulders. I'm not willing to say any more on the subject at the moment.

2 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Please believe me when I assure you that the tier 6 leagues are not just shrugging their shoulders. I'm not willing to say any more on the subject at the moment.

They're also tutting, harumphing and shaking their heads. 

If it gets any worse there may even be finger wagging in future. 

6 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I assume they will come up with some alternative proposal to rival the LL, however the stark reality is that it will get nowhere, the SFA will not support any move to rival the two existing tier 5 leagues imo.