Martin Lewis

Martin Lewis  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The current state of the UK with rising costs of living and energy bills going through the roof has transformed Martin Lewis from being a media personality who spots the best 3-for-2 deals at supermarkets and advises on what banks are offering good interest rates on their current account, to one who is pumping out articles about how to keep the heating running and food on the table.

This has attracted the attention of various elements of the left wing on twitter, who suggest that Lewis is hypocritical to be criticising the government over this issue because he failed to openly endorse Labour in the 2019 general election. 

It should be noted that Lewis is a practicing Jewish man, and it's really hard to blame any followers of that particular religion for not voting for Labour under Corbyn, given the anti-semitism problems within the party.

P&B decides once and for all. Good guy or w*nk?

Bit harsh to call him hypocritical because he doesn't endorse a particular party.  I have no idea what his politics are but he may well have voted for Labour.  His vote though (the same as the rest of us) is private between him and the ballot box if that's what he wishes.  He's perfectly within his rights to criticise the government but that also doesn't mean any other party would have done any better.

Not endorsing Labour hardly makes him a w**k. Tens of millions of people didn't endorse them or vote for them. 

The guy tries to sell himself as a neutral customer advice expert. He brushes up against politics a bit but if he were to endorse any party, he might be seen by his audience differently. They might not trust what he says so much. 

33 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The current state of the UK with rising costs of living and energy bills going through the roof has transformed Martin Lewis from being a media personality who spots the best 3-for-2 deals at supermarkets and advises on what banks are offering good interest rates on their current account, to one who is pumping out articles about how to keep the heating running and food on the table.

This has attracted the attention of various elements of the left wing on twitter, who suggest that Lewis is hypocritical to be criticising the government over this issue because he failed to openly endorse Labour in the 2019 general election. 

It should be noted that Lewis is a practicing Jewish man, and it's really hard to blame any followers of that particular religion for not voting for Labour under Corbyn, given the anti-semitism problems within the party.

P&B decides once and for all. Good guy or w*nk?

What a heap of shite.  This myth that the Labour party was anti-Semitic needs to be put to bed once and for all.  Basically the Tory press created the narrative and gullible fools like you have forced Labour into expending vast amounts of time and effort into convincing people that the are doing everything they can to repent.

Anyway, Martin = w**k.

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It seems like this fairly bland tweet from 2 years ago has upset the Corbyn uberfans.

Hard to imagine the Corbyn uberfans being irrationally angry about some minor thing they see on the internet. Doesn't sound like them at all. 

9 minutes ago, strichener said:

What a heap of shite.  This myth that the Labour party was anti-Semitic needs to be put to bed once and for all.  Basically the Tory press created the narrative and gullible fools like you have forced Labour into expending vast amounts of time and effort into convincing people that the are doing everything they can to repent.

Anyway, Martin = w**k.

Lmao. This is also very silly. 

The right wing media played a part in dousing the flames but it's insincere when you fail to acknowledge the mistakes in his leadership on this particular issue and within the party. There was legitimate concern from large sections of the Jewish populace regarding this issue, you can't put it down as solely a media thing. A bit of both perhaps but you can't rewrite and erase the sincere concern. 

He's a good - if sickeningly earnest - journalist. I read somewhere he became the richest journalist in British history when he sold his moneysavingexpert site for a few million. He quite often gets out his depth and provides answers on things he doesn't really understand that end up being wrong, but he's certainly done more good than harm for the British consumer. Overall good guy. 

17 minutes ago, strichener said:

Anyway, Martin = w**k.

What absolute nonsense. Corbyn acknowledged the problem multiple times. Several MPs resigned over it.

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Hard to imagine the Corbyn uberfans being irrationally angry about some minor thing they see on the internet. Doesn't sound like them at all. 

See the roaster above. 

I used to think he was a w**k purely because in my previous role working for a bank you would have numerous customers calling to say Martin Lewis had said they could claim back years of charges then became quite abusive when they were told to bolt.

Now I think he's alright and seems to help a lot of folk so fair enough 

He's a financial Joe Wickes trying to help people. He doesn't need to as he is rich as f**k after selling his website for about 80 million and could spend his days firing into his wife. 

Screenshot_20220407-171328_Chrome.jpg

185046857_martinlewis.jpg.087c754fb9ad413f10ad41ca85824cd9.jpg

"Martin Lewis not a w**k, claims Martin Lewis. More on that story later. And in other news Tam the Bam accused of being an old git as whenever the name "Martin Lewis" is mentioned he thinks of the old newsreader" 

I used to think he was a w**k who appeared on crap television shows to give advice to Facebook Maws who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. I am rapidly revising that opinion in the current crisis.

Everyone who does anything in the public domain ust eventually fall victim to the baying mob on social media demanding that the nail their political allegiances to the mast, thus alienating a large amount of their audience who see politics as their new favourite tribal battleground.

Thats my utterly obvious take on the matter.

Falls into the "bit of a w**k" category because I get bored of seeing his face alongside click-bait type headlines, but fundamentally he's a good guy who is trying to help people with honest advice. Fair play to him.

However, his advice on energy would've had me substantially worse off had I followed his advice back in October and not taken a fixed tariff.  

Sometimes his money saving for some is hugely at the expense of others.
For instance all the tech savvy save money based on this or that.
Then all the numpties (fair enough) get charged more as companies recover losses in other ways.
Big losers are those without tech or just doddery feckers.

His advice on buying a 20 portion chicken nuggets from McDonalds never struck me as being worthy of the status he has attained.

He was good on the Professionals though.

Screenshot_20220407-174810_Chrome.jpg