Heart of Midlothian - 2022/23 European Tour

Elixir

In Hearts’ defence, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Italian team press as much as Fiorentina have tonight. 

Either that or it’s just Hearts’ proving our theory that Scottish based players simply cannot control a ball under the slightest bit of pressure. 

28 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

That’s what kind of annoys me, Fiorentina are clearly a much better side but we don’t need to be down on the fitness levels from other sides. Especially as Serie A isn’t a fast-paced, physical league where you’d gain that much more in matches. 

I maintain that one of the biggest differences in modern football is conditioning rather than skill. 

I saw Scotland U21s get humped by their English equivalents about 10 years ago. The size difference at 18-21 age group made it look like kids against adults, and I thought the same when we played Fiorentina/Basekshkihir this year 

9 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Most embarrassing aspect of this for Hearts is that Fiorentina haven't even been very good.

Also, doesn't say much about your team when they start to compete once the game is over and there's no risk attached.

I like a good moan about Hearts, but I'm not sure what you expected to see tonight.

Hearts are playing Fiorentina away without their three first-pick central defenders, and without their first-pick holding midfielder. Also missing Michael Smith for a bit of experience. That's a defence tonight made up of full-backs and midfielders.

Did you expect a close game?

‘So far second half Hearts have resisted any further punishment’
Not much of an achievement that Rob, the Florentines have got their cigars out and are having a kick about and a laugh, and still looking the more likely.

3 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

I like a good moan about Hearts, but I'm not sure what you expected to see tonight.

Hearts are playing Fiorentina away without their three first-pick central defenders, and without their first-pick holding midfielder. Also missing Michael Smith for a bit of experience. That's a defence tonight made up of full-backs and midfielders.

Did you expect a close game?

Why even bother turning up for the game eh? Just take the 3-0 and stay in Scotland.

They can't be any more embarrissingly bad than that other pair.

In all seriousness the Scottish teams have entered Europe a notch above the “correct” level imo. On balance I far more enjoyed last season’s Rangers final run than this season’s embarrassing efforts 🤷🏼‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Why even bother turning up for the game eh? Just take the 3-0 and stay in Scotland.

I think Hearts would have got a row for that.

I just think you're going a bit OTT. Hearts were always going to get a pasting this evening. They're well under-strength.