Dundee FC New Stadium Thread

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

But your new stadium and the surrounding area, particularly the creepy b*****d dead scheme beside the stadium, absolutely dishonours what was one of the best away days. The steepness alone at Love Street made for a brilliant atmosphere.

Totally, going to Love St, half cut and making sure you didn't fall down those stairs was part of the amazing away day that it was.

Problem is we aren't Spurs, Arsenal, Man U etc the owners of our clubs really couldn't give a flying f**k, or would ever take on board or care about our input before going ahead with the soulless crap they seems to be happy to go for.

6 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Totally, going to Love St, half cut and making sure you didn't fall down those stairs was part of the amazing away day that it was.

Problem is we aren't Spurs, Arsenal, Man U etc the owners of our clubs really couldn't give a flying f**k, or would ever take on board or care about our input before going ahead with the soulless crap they seems to be happy to go for.

Money, and the lack of it in Scottish fitba’, more than ignoring our wishes. Me? I’d have wanted something like a smaller version of Tynecastle, built smack bang on the site of the demolished Love Street. How’s that happening though?

2 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Agree with you about st mirren’s ground, it’s a bit of a disaster for a ‘recent’ new build; the four stands aspect is fair enough as it’s obviously much cheaper to build, but they’re so low, and too far back. They could easily have built them steeper and closer to the park.

McDiarmid Park is far from great, but as the first of the new grounds it was good for the time. Falkirk’s could be decent with a fourth stand and I don’t hate livi’s at all as it feels quite enclosed. 

Tynecastle shows that for all the fancy rooftop lounges and modern features etc, there’s just a few basics to make a stadium which  people want to watch matches in; steep, close to the action and a sensible (not too high) capacity.  Hopefully Dundee take these on board if this new ground does ever happen.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree with you about st mirren’s ground, it’s a bit of a disaster for a ‘recent’ new build; the four stands aspect is fair enough as it’s obviously much cheaper to build, but they’re so low, and too far back. They could easily have built them steeper and closer to the park.

McDiarmid Park is far from great, but as the first of the new grounds it was good for the time. Falkirk’s could be decent with a fourth stand and I don’t hate livi’s at all as it feels quite enclosed. 

Tynecastle shows that for all the fancy rooftop lounges and modern features etc, there’s just a few basics to make a stadium which  people want to watch matches in; steep, close to the action and a sensible (not too high) capacity.  Hopefully Dundee take these on board if this new ground does ever happen.

I don’t like watching fitba’ from behind the goals at any away ground, and obviously that’s where away fans at our wee midden watch from. My season ticket is on the ‘S’ of the SMFC lettering on the West Stand seats, almost at the halfway line. I’ve also watched many games from the main stand hospitality area. Both of our bigger stands are in fact more than decent places to watch fitba’ from. 

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t like watching fitba’ from behind the goals at any away ground, and obviously that’s where away fans at our wee midden watch from. My season ticket is on the ‘S’ of the SMFC lettering on the West Stand seats, almost at the halfway line. I’ve also watched many games from the main stand hospitality area. Both of our bigger stands are in fact more than decent places to watch fitba’ from. 

Same boat, behind the goals is shite unless you’re high up. 

Funnily enough, although Accies is not a ground anyone would put in their list of favourite away days with only two sides occupied, their away stand is as good a view as you can hope for behind the goal.

I still have an unrealistic hope this falls through and Dundee redevelop the two side stands at Dens.

I went onto the Holmes Miller website to check their pedigree, and what's remarkable are the number of very fancy looking projects that never got built, including the hilarious proposal for a huge e-sports arena on the waterfront...  https://www.holmesmiller.com/architecture#sports

Honestly, as much as I'd actually quite like to see Dundee move up the road, it just doesn't seem credible.

On what grounds does anyone reasonably believe that the Dundee board are capable of bringing in £95m in funding? And that's probably a low-ball estimate.

ps - loved the bit where they were selling a part of the ground with a scenic view... over Dryburgh 😄

Edited by ArabFC

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Same boat, behind the goals is shite unless you’re high up. 

Funnily enough, although Accies is not a ground anyone would put in their list of favourite away days with only two sides occupied, their away stand is as good a view as you can hope for behind the goal.

I still have an unrealistic hope this falls through and Dundee redevelop the two side stands at Dens.

When we played Nancy away in Europe I loved that aspect of their stadium, same Idea as Accies. Raised up stands all the way round, none of those shite, low down seats, behind the goals. Surely to fck it isn't beyond what we can afford and take into account what works here and abroad when building new stadiums.

7 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

When we played Nancy away in Europe I loved that aspect of their stadium, same Idea as Accies. Raised up stands all the way round, none of those shite, low down seats, behind the goals. Surely to fck it isn't beyond what we can afford and take into account what works here and abroad when building new stadiums.

I fcuking hate Accies stadium and hope I never have to set foot in it again. I appreciate the height aspect of the seating, but I just felt a huge disconnect from the action at that horrible two sided midden. I never felt I was in the stand, I felt on it. One of my most disliked Scottish stadiums ever.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

In much the same way as I love Dens but appreciate it's a crumbling mess, I totally get the need for St Mirren to have moved from Love Street.

But your new stadium and the surrounding area, particularly the creepy b*****d dead scheme beside the stadium, absolutely dishonours what was one of the best away days. The steepness alone at Love Street made for a brilliant atmosphere.

The atmosphere at the SMISA is class if you take enough fans.

Think every team has the fantasy stadium thread at some point. Place we always seem to end up is what Scandian countries are doing. Similar population and attendance but seem to be able to build such smart stadiums at a capacity similar to what we require. No idea what model they use, council owned, general use etc but surely we can do something similar, or better.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Looking absolutely stunning tbh:

Damn! That weather and those parking spaces. Smert as f**k like! And the swagger on those sim guys, mmhhm sister.

Thinking of getting one of these AI stadiums myself. Pretty cool, tbf.

48 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Think every team has the fantasy stadium thread at some point. Place we always seem to end up is what Scandian countries are doing. Similar population and attendance but seem to be able to build such smart stadiums at a capacity similar to what we require. No idea what model they use, council owned, general use etc but surely we can do something similar, or better.

Spot on, Swedes and Norwegians can do it, not here though, far too many morons in local/national government. IMO.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

46 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Screenshot_20240823-2106042.thumb.png.de2c4b9d17b1ac645120b884696de01f.pngScreenshot_20240823-2106592.png.3a2d750eca9bd69ba84aa3bb27c1ba7f.pngNijmegen have the right idea with their stadium, if we were to ever leave Fir Park (not happening) something like this would probably be my dream scenario 

What’s the capacity here? It looks like Almondvale. ETA - Checked it I see it’s 12500 roughly.

Regarding St Mirren, do any of their fans know if their ground was built in a manner which makes it easy to expand? Crowds must be averaging somewhere around 80% of capacity over the last couple of seasons which will surely lead to them considering increasing the attendance (perhaps by filling in a couple of corners).

I am a fan of St Mirrens ground but that is probably due to us always taking a good crowd, it being close and having a reasonable record up there.

Edited by Sortmeout

11 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Damn! That weather and those parking spaces. Smert as f**k like! And the swagger on those sim guys, mmhhm sister.

Thinking of getting one of these AI stadiums myself. Pretty cool, tbf.

That’s technology mate. The designs for Tannadice was just some c**t sticking subbuteo floodlights on a Jacob’s cracker tub.

2 minutes ago, K.T said:

That’s technology mate. The designs for Tannadice was just some c**t sticking subbuteo floodlights on a Jacob’s cracker tub.

Totally agree. Thinking of trading the car in for a CGI Millenium Falcon once I can figure out how it'll get me to the office in the morning.

39 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Place we always seem to end up is what Scandian countries are doing. Similar population and attendance but seem to be able to build such smart stadiums at a capacity similar to what we require. No idea what model they use, council owned, general use etc but surely we can do something similar, or better.

First club I looked up on Wiki...

Viking Stadion is a football stadium in Stavanger, Norway. It was inaugurated in May 2004 and cost 160 million NOK (€20 million) to build. 50 million NOK, plus the lot it was built on, was a gift from the municipality. 

Difference is - without wanting to get too political - Norway is loaded in comparison to Scotland *for reasons* and so local government has capability to do such things. Dundee City Council are just looking at what to cut next cos they've got no dough.