Darvel FC Thread

On 21/04/2023 at 18:56, Stag Nation said:

Well, up to a point. There was little to stop them getting a few other ambitious junior clubs together and forming a new WOS senior league at any time in the past few decades, was there? 

Apart perhaps from a shortage of ambitious junior clubs?

In what way would a "WoS senior league" have been any different to what actually existed at any point over those decades? How would that have removed the glass ceiling?

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

In what way would a "WoS senior league" have been any different to what actually existed at any point over those decades? How would that have removed the glass ceiling?

Because, as seniors, they could join the SPFL if an opportunity arose. Just like the HL and EOSL clubs before them.

3 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

Because, as seniors, they could join the SPFL if an opportunity arose. Just like the HL and EOSL clubs before them.

You didn't need to be a senior club to apply for SFL membership - Gateshead United applied in 1974 and Gretna in 1994, 1999 and 2002, both of whom didn't even play in a Scottish league. Airdrie United applied in 2002 when they didn't even exist as a club, and Clydebank applied in 1965 and 1966 without being part of a senior league.

Edited by craigkillie

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You didn't need to be a senior club to apply for SFL membership - Gateshead United applied in 1974 and Gretna in 1994, 1999 and 2002, both of whom didn't even play in a Scottish league. Airdrie United applied in 2002 when they didn't even exist as a club, and Clydebank applied in 1965 and 1966 without being part of a senior league.

What an away day Gateshead would have been. 

I see we have opened up applications for new manager for another few weeks , what a shit show , so the new gaffer comes in mid may and he’s left with players that other clubs don’t want , embarrasing but not surprising  , also hear gowser and Stirlo have been told to train with the under 20s 

39 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

I see we have opened up applications for new manager for another few weeks , what a shit show , so the new gaffer comes in mid may and he’s left with players that other clubs don’t want , embarrasing but not surprising  , also hear gowser and Stirlo have been told to train with the under 20s 

Blame ur pal mk for walking away mid season. Who's taken the team for rest of season? 

Mon the papers

1 hour ago, Darvel legend said:

If only someone could have predicted it wouldn’t end well for Darvel…….

Probably put it all in perspective

I still don't get it, all the comments, 'bubble is about to burst'!, 'couldn't have seen it end this well'!

To me, Darvel are a small club with a small section of fans, anywhere from 50, might be up to 100 even 200.  Everyone comes on and gives them abuse as I said a way back,  is it jealousy or even embarrassment that tiny Darvel are always near the top the now, won the league last year and are one of the top teams again this year. Would Darvel get the same abuse if MK wasn't here and Gall wasn't here.  MK, whatever anyone thinks, is a manager right now and if he didn't want to try and better himself then we and he are all kidding ourselves on, the same for any coach working at our level of football, a better offer comes in with better opportunities then god chance any manager will take it.. Gall, well suppose Gall is Gall, if I was on the committee I would tell him not to go in front of the camera for interviews, they don't go well lololol

The way I see it, if I was a Darvel fan in this time, I would have seen my team win the top division of what we are all used too and I would have seen my team make one of, if not, the biggest shock in football history beating Aberdeen and guess what when Gall leaves, for whatever reason, and it will happen in 2,5 even 10 years time but it will happen when all said and done I think Darvel will own their own park?, they will have an excellent park with small stadium, (I take it everything is owned by Darvel?) and also they have an SFA license meaning they will play in the Scottish Cup every year.

I still think when this all happens they will move down the divisions, I'm positive up and down between the first and 3rd divisions of the WOSFL but for a tiny and yes, a tiny village team ffs they have done well recently

3 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Probably put it all in perspective

I still don't get it, all the comments, 'bubble is about to burst'!, 'couldn't have seen it end this well'!

To me, Darvel are a small club with a small section of fans, anywhere from 50, might be up to 100 even 200.  Everyone comes on and gives them abuse as I said a way back,  is it jealousy or even embarrassment that tiny Darvel are always near the top the now, won the league last year and are one of the top teams again this year. Would Darvel get the same abuse if MK wasn't here and Gall wasn't here.  MK, whatever anyone thinks, is a manager right now and if he didn't want to try and better himself then we and he are all kidding ourselves on, the same for any coach working at our level of football, a better offer comes in with better opportunities then god chance any manager will take it.. Gall, well suppose Gall is Gall, if I was on the committee I would tell him not to go in front of the camera for interviews, they don't go well lololol

The way I see it, if I was a Darvel fan in this time, I would have seen my team win the top division of what we are all used too and I would have seen my team make one of, if not, the biggest shock in football history beating Aberdeen and guess what when Gall leaves, for whatever reason, and it will happen in 2,5 even 10 years time but it will happen when all said and done I think Darvel will own their own park?, they will have an excellent park with small stadium, (I take it everything is owned by Darvel?) and also they have an SFA license meaning they will play in the Scottish Cup every year.

I still think when this all happens they will move down the divisions, I'm positive up and down between the first and 3rd divisions of the WOSFL but for a tiny and yes, a tiny village team ffs they have done well recently

The park is on lease from the council and it remains to be seen if everything is paid for or it is owed to Gall/Brownings the bakers, there’s no way of telling as I believe it was a closed shop agm. If the money is legally owed back the club is fucked.

5 minutes ago, Ceejayar said:

The park is on lease from the council and it remains to be seen if everything is paid for or it is owed to Gall/Brownings the bakers, there’s no way of telling as I believe it was a closed shop agm. If the money is legally owed back the club is fucked.

What does this mean?

It's normal for any AGM to be open only to the members (if a club) or shareholders (if a company).

Do you think there was some skullduggery involved?