Broxburn Athletic

1 hour ago, Jordi1977 said:

And on another very positive note... I tried one of the Steak & Haggis with Peppercorn sauce pies tonight... they are legit phenomenal!

Grrr....

Sold out when I got to the pie stall. The mince one was good though.

8 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Missed tonight but was told the squad was a bit lightweight tonight. Pleased it sounded like an encouraging performance though

Aye... was very thin and a bit of a patchwork defence. That's probably the undoing in the end... same level of performance with a full squad in remaining games and we'll be fine. 

Although, said that before....

Broxburn seemed cursed with bad officials this season. The linesman gave off side when I think it was Max that ran through from an onside position and scored. Changes the game completely, but I think it was a genuine mistake, cause he would of struggled to see the far side with 2 broxburn players being offside. These decisions are supposed to even themselves out over a season but I'm not convinced. Max Williamson looks some player. Cup distractions are now out of the way. Let's get 15 points and end this season

24 minutes ago, albynpark said:

Broxburn seemed cursed with bad officials this season. The linesman gave off side when I think it was Max that ran through from an onside position and scored. Changes the game completely, but I think it was a genuine mistake, cause he would of struggled to see the far side with 2 broxburn players being offside. These decisions are supposed to even themselves out over a season but I'm not convinced. Max Williamson looks some player. Cup distractions are now out of the way. Let's get 15 points and end this season

Agreed on Williamson... looked really good. Be great to get a wee further loan worked out for next season.

I was behind the goal for the offside effort so couldn't really tell... it looked tight, but can never be sure from that angle... the lads pace probably made it look more off than on too!

Thought officials were ok... ref was very slow in making any decision... but credit to him for when there was a clear foul, he let play go on and then went back to book the Sauchie player... dinnae see that too often down at this level!

Well after saying the ref in midweek was ok... today we got a series of just baffling decisions! Think the only positive spin I can put on it is that Dundonald were similarly shaking their heads and some of his decisions today!

A draw up there probably isn't that bad a result, but the way it played out was a sord one to take... and some things just seemed to go against us today.

Hope big Jordan Wright heals up ok and it's a speedy recovery... had been looking so much more solid with him and Dan Nimmo together at the back... so gonna be a big loss to soldier on without him.

The run of bad luck with defenders felt over a few weeks back... but seems to have returned now! Jordan Wright last week out for the season and then today losing Dan Nimmo early on. Hopefully this one isn't too serious and he'll be back soon. The Nimmo-Wright partnership had started to look like it could be pretty solid!

Despite that, what a great win today. Big Errol stepped back and did a tremendous job at the back alongside Brad Donaldson. A very makeshift defence, but done the job brilliantly... and two great saves from young Josh Blair towards the end of first half when Swifts did get by them. 

A lot of energy in the midfield and we pretty much won today by outrunning them in that area. That pulled them out of position a few times and created a few chances. Just the one taken, though, nicely tucked in by young Rocco... 

The nice thing was, despite the defence being about 7th choice, there was no hanging on for the win... they tried to get a bit more on the ball, but never really done anything with it, were kept safely at distance and really, Broxburn had a couple of chances for a 2nd.

Pretty pleased with most of today's performance and a very welcome 3 points that almost guarantees safety now (couple more points would be nice, though!)

15 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

The run of bad luck with defenders felt over a few weeks back... but seems to have returned now! Jordan Wright last week out for the season and then today losing Dan Nimmo early on. Hopefully this one isn't too serious and he'll be back soon. The Nimmo-Wright partnership had started to look like it could be pretty solid!

Despite that, what a great win today. Big Errol stepped back and did a tremendous job at the back alongside Brad Donaldson. A very makeshift defence, but done the job brilliantly... and two great saves from young Josh Blair towards the end of first half when Swifts did get by them. 

A lot of energy in the midfield and we pretty much won today by outrunning them in that area. That pulled them out of position a few times and created a few chances. Just the one taken, though, nicely tucked in by young Rocco... 

The nice thing was, despite the defence being about 7th choice, there was no hanging on for the win... they tried to get a bit more on the ball, but never really done anything with it, were kept safely at distance and really, Broxburn had a couple of chances for a 2nd.

Pretty pleased with most of today's performance and a very welcome 3 points that almost guarantees safety now (couple more points would be nice, though!)

Thought big Errol was a stand out today but any one of the back 5 could have been MOTM. Kept a very good Jeanfield at bay for most of the match. 

Performances have been improving steadily under the new management and hopefully the results will too. Still going to be tight at the bottom once games in hand level out. Three more cup finals to go 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting results and fixtures. To be safe we need to get over 38 points. 3 points next week and it's done.

Blackburn could make us safe on Tuesday by dropping points against Crossgates but I hope they can do it. If they get wins 3 against them, the Vale and Tynecastle. 38pts

Tynecastle would have to beat Hill of beath and lose against Blackburn. 38pts

Lothian thistle and Inverkeithing are in the same position as us but if they get  points and we get 0 points in the last 2 games then we're down. 

Not likely we'll be going down but all a possibility still. 

Good luck to all the teams, and congratulations to Linlithgow, deservedly Champions

On 29/04/2023 at 20:32, albynpark said:

Interesting results and fixtures. To be safe we need to get over 38 points. 3 points next week and it's done.

Blackburn could make us safe on Tuesday by dropping points against Crossgates but I hope they can do it. If they get wins 3 against them, the Vale and Tynecastle. 38pts

Tynecastle would have to beat Hill of beath and lose against Blackburn. 38pts

Lothian thistle and Inverkeithing are in the same position as us but if they get  points and we get 0 points in the last 2 games then we're down. 

Not likely we'll be going down but all a possibility still. 

Good luck to all the teams, and congratulations to Linlithgow, deservedly Champions

Broxburn safe 😰

19 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Broxburn safe 😰

Very pleased.

I hope Blackburn stay up as it is a good derby game. They still have a chance. If Tynecastle lose on Saturday and Blackburn beat the Vale then it sets up a great tie between Blackburn vs Tynecastle on the last game of the season. Blackburn need to win that to stay up.

Are my maths failing me... is there not still a chance of ending 4th bottom? Or is that no longer a factor given the way promotion/relegation to LL looks to be playing out? 

(Got married last week and it's literally made me lose track of everything else!!)

35 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Are my maths failing me... is there not still a chance of ending 4th bottom? Or is that no longer a factor given the way promotion/relegation to LL looks to be playing out? 

(Got married last week and it's literally made me lose track of everything else!!)

Fourth bottom getting relegated is only possible if the West/South champions replace an East team in the LL. As Beith are unlicensed and the bottom LL team (Dalbeattie) are going south, that's pretty much ruled out. It's in theory still possible, but for that, all of the bottom will have to happen:

• Brechin beating Spartans and then Albion Rovers / Bonnyrigg in the play-offs
  • Abbey Vale to get no more than 2 points from their remaining 2 fixtures
  • Creetown winning their remaining league game & beating Linlithgow Rose in the play-offs.

In that case the EOS will have a net gain of 1 club (Edinburgh Uni down, nobody up). But it's even more likely for Ian Maxwell to suddenly get some sanity.

57 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Only if your judgement is so impaired as to actually think Brechin will overturn Spartans and then beat Albion Rovers/Bonnyrigg and Creetown overtake Abbey Vale and then beat Linlithgow... [inserts joke about wedding booze and shagging]... unlikely I'd suggest ;)?