World Cup 2026

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Opening game to be held in Mexico City, final in New Jersey.

First final played at a stadium without a roof since the last time it was in the USA.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68200774 

Hope FIFA can persuade The Donald to avoid invading Mexico until after their hosting duties are over.

FWC26-Match-Schedule_1920x1080?io=transf

Opening game on Thursday; also unusual distributions...

... only 2 games per day for first 2 days of groupstage; then 4 games per day for rest of matchdays 1 & 2; then 6 games per day (at 3 times) for matchdays 3
... Round of 32 spread over 6 days (only 1 game on day 1 being Sunday 28th June)
... QFs spread over 3 days (only 1 game on days 1 & 2)
... no games on Sunday 12th July

I'm surprised they aren't having the final at So-Fi. I wonder what the criteria were for choosing. It would be played in daylight whichever time zone it was in, if they aimed for European prime time, as they usually do.

I see the BBC haven't noticed that Giants Stadium was demolished years ago and MetLife is a different ground on a different footprint.

This has probably already come up and I've just forgotten due to advancing senility, but Mexico and Canada get 13 games each, while the Americans get three times their total combined?

Pfft. A proper football body would just award the tournament to Mexico in perpetuity.

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

This has probably already come up and I've just forgotten due to advancing senility, but Mexico and Canada get 13 games each, while the Americans get three times their total combined?

Pfft. A proper football body would just award the tournament to Mexico in perpetuity.

Average matches held by stadiums per country:-

USA 7.1 games / stadium

Canada 6.5

Mexico 4.3

Seems a bit rough on the Mexicans but they have got to host it twice already.

Edited by Lurkst

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Is that right? They were saying the other day that if Dallas was selected it would have been the first indoor World Cup final. 

They're both right. I think they mean without any cover as opposed to a fully closing roof.

7 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I'm surprised they aren't having the final at So-Fi. I wonder what the criteria were for choosing. It would be played in daylight whichever time zone it was in, if they aimed for European prime time, as they usually do.

Recently the final has been at 4pm uk time. I don't think tht will happen now otherwise you'd be playing it at 11am local time. 

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It was 8 PM (4 PM local) last time it was in the Americas (Rio). Would imagine 3 PM local/8 PM UK for New Jersey.

That one didn't seem as early with it being in the winter.

1994 was the last non floodlit final.

10 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I see the BBC haven't noticed that Giants Stadium was demolished years ago and MetLife is a different ground on a different footprint.

SoFi in Los Angeles is an amazing stadium, far better than the utilitarian Met Life with no cover. It's incredible they built a stadium with no cover for a winter sport in a city that gets rough winters.

Not one of the 12 stadiums picked were used in 1994. New Jersey and Boston(ish) are both new builds in the car parks of the previous stadiums, which each lasted 30-35 years before being demolished. 'Murica.

12 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Is that right? They were saying the other day that if Dallas was selected it would have been the first indoor World Cup final. 

I think the organisers put forward New Jersey and Dallas as options for the final and FIFA chose New Jersey. Maybe they prefer the idea of being in New York. That'll be nice, they'll appreciate it when Trump is handing over the trophy in his home city.

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

This will be an awful World Cup, (mostly) in an awful country. I will not be watching a single game. 

^^^ delayed post from November 2022

Pretty clear that Mexico have only been given 2 stadiums worth of games but they've been split across 3 venues (each Mexican ground has only 4 or 5 games while every other stadium get 6 or 7... indeed New York, Los Angeles and Atalanta get 8 while whoever negotiated for Dallas has managed to bag 9 which is more than Guadaljara + Monterrey combined).

Startling how little they or Canada are involved though... each receive only 2x Last 32 and 1x Last 16 ties, no ties at all thereafter, with a sop of the Mexicans getting the opening match. Very much USA with some bolt-ons.

It's shit. Canada is the best of the three from a climate point of view while Mexico is the best for potentially mad fans. USA is very meh.

Mexico and Canada should really have demanded at least 25% of the tournament each or told the US they wouldn't vote for their bid. Shitebags.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa