The Queen of the South thread

10 minutes ago, overthetop said:

How long before Bartley is under pressure?

The home form is unacceptable. How easy is it for the opposition at Palmerston?

He won’t be under any sort of pressure this season that’s for sure. Could only see us thinking of making a change if the play offs are in danger.

50 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

He won’t be under any sort of pressure this season that’s for sure. Could only see us thinking of making a change if the play offs are in danger.

If we get anywhere near the relagation playoffs then we must make a change hopefully it will not come to that . 

1 hour ago, overthetop said:

How long before Bartley is under pressure?

The home form is unacceptable. How easy is it for the opposition at Palmerston?

54 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

This. Not a chance he'll be under any pressure otherwise. 3rd was realistically as good as we could have hoped for this season. Until we're miles away from that he won't be going anywhere. 

I don't think he's doing terribly well so far, but we really need to commit to sticking with this one for a decent spell.  Missing out on the play-offs would represent pretty dismal failure, but I think that even then, it would probably be fair to give him another crack.  

He's young and was widely admired.  He needs a chance to get it right.  

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think he's doing terribly well so far, but we really need to commit to sticking with this one for a decent spell.  Missing out on the play-offs would represent pretty dismal failure, but I think that even then, it would probably be fair to give him another crack.  

He needs a chance fair enough but for how long .

If I could see any improvement from week to week that would be fine but we seem to get worse every game .

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I agree, to an extent. But needs to be showing more signs of improvement.

Mad how much of a loss Brydon is.

Queens definitely won't be close to the relegation playoffs that is very negative thinking and I think it is likely that you will come 3rd now. Marvin Bartley is a guy I've always had massive respect for and I think he will end up being a good appointment in the long run. You were OK today and were the better team for the last 20 minutes of the first half and deserved the goal. I thought your defence looked a bit of a mess at times and I wish we put more pressure on Efe especially as he looked like a bit of a bombscare for most of that game today overall though i think you will be fine.

32 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Queens definitely won't be close to the relegation playoffs that is very negative thinking and I think it is likely that you will come 3rd now. Marvin Bartley is a guy I've always had massive respect for and I think he will end up being a good appointment in the long run. You were OK today and were the better team for the last 20 minutes of the first half and deserved the goal. I thought your defence looked a bit of a mess at times and I wish we put more pressure on Efe especially as he looked like a bit of a bombscare for most of that game today overall though i think you will be fine.

It is a bit negative something I  usually am but we have lost 4 0ut of our 7 games.

Worse of all 3 of our defeats have been at home.

Our defence is all over the place looks like  any team could score at will  against us .

Until we get that sorted we will be nowhere near the top 4 

In our four home league games we have conceded ten goals, six of which have been scored against us within 15 minutes of kick-off.  The only goal we have scored in that time was McKechnie's first minute opener against Alloa which give us a lead which lasted all of 4 minutes.  Today we could quite easily have been 3 or 4 down before Henderson scored in the 15th minute.

Bartley has mentioned in interviews that players are sometimes guilty of not following his instructions, but the above stat suggests that if they are doing as instructed, and you would assume that they would given that the instructions would still be fresh in their minds so early in games, he must be getting his tactics, formation, or pre-match team talks seriously wrong for home games as we're having to salvage games rather than controlling them.

I like Bartley's style of management and any talk of him being under pressure is far too premature, but in reality we are only one point better off than we were after the same number of games under Gibson last season.

Edited by Slipmat
changing 5 goals to 6.

16 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

It is a bit negative something I  usually am but we have lost 4 0ut of our 7 games.

Worse of all 3 of our defeats have been at home.

Our defence is all over the place looks like  any team could score at will  against us .

Until we get that sorted we will be nowhere near the top 4 

Yeah it has been a bit of a concerning start but even with that you are still 5th currently. I still expect you to finish 3rd I think you will get better as the season goes on with Bartley in charge but there is certainly improvements to be made you will be fine though.

The only encouragement I would take so far is that we've played the two sides who were always going to dominate this league, and we've only lost narrowly both times by a single goal. With a bit of luck they could have been two draws, but also we've probably been lucky not to lose by more. Fine margins etc.

Games against Accies/Bairns won't define our season, it's the other games that will ... and the worry is that we've already managed to lose home games to Alloa and Montrose so far. The home form is bloody desperate and must be fixed quick.

Marvin will be given the full season, I'm sure, but the stark reality of management will be clear to him now. I hope he's planning his January window now.

4 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

The only encouragement I would take so far is that we've played the two sides who were always going to dominate this league, and we've only lost narrowly both times by a single goal. With a bit of luck they could have been two draws, but also we've probably been lucky not to lose by more. Fine margins etc.

Games against Accies/Bairns won't define our season, it's the other games that will ... and the worry is that we've already managed to lose home games to Alloa and Montrose so far. The home form is bloody desperate and must be fixed quick.

Marvin will be given the full season, I'm sure, but the stark reality of management will be clear to him now. I hope he's planning his January window now.

Our home form has been desperate for years now. I've just come to expect it. 

It's certainly far too early to be thinking Bartley's job is under threat IMHO but that could change with a few more poor results.

We remain far too easy to play against.

12 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Games against Accies/Bairns won't define our season

Well, they won't now.

I think there's a bit of revisionism going on though, that suggests Falkirk and Hamilton were obviously always going to be miles ahead of us from the outset.

Hamilton have been struggling for a while, suffering two relegations in three seasons.  Meanwhile, Falkirk have been stuck here for four already.  

They might have been fancied to finish above us, but the margins right now are greater than we'd every right to hope.  I'd contend that defeats to the top two do matter.  Despite their strong starts, both will yet drop plenty points.  We can't be writing games off in this division.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well, they won't now.

I think there's a bit of revisionism going on though, that suggests Falkirk and Hamilton were obviously always going to be miles ahead of us from the outset.

Hamilton have been struggling for a while, suffering two relegations in three seasons.  Meanwhile, Falkirk have been stuck here for four already.  

They might have been fancied to finish above us, but the margins right now are greater than we'd every right to hope.  I'd contend that defeats to the top two do matter.  Despite their strong starts, both will get drop plenty points.  We can't be writing games off in this division.

Spot on. 

That is most low key interview Bartley has done he is now really finding out how difficult the job is.

I am not convinced we are any better this season than last but I suppose still early days yet .

He is at a crossroads he will either sink or swim hopefully it is the latter.

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well, they won't now.

They might have been fancied to finish above us, but the margins right now are greater than we'd every right to hope.  I'd contend that defeats to the top two do matter.  Despite their strong starts, both will yet drop plenty points.  We can't be writing games off in this division.

Revisionism ...? I've said from the start of the season that Accies and Falkirk had the best squads and that our realistic target would be 3rd.

Yes, I'd like to have hoped the gap would be less, and if we can get our injury list reduced then maybe 3rd is still achievable.

Doesn't alter the fact that how we perform against the other seven clubs will be the real key to our season, with anything taken from the top two a bonus. That's not writing any games off, it's just stating the obvious. We'll still look to take points off the top two.

17 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

That is most low key interview Bartley has done he is now really finding out how difficult the job is.

I am not convinced we are any better this season than last but I suppose still early days yet .

We took a risk employing a rookie manager in Bartley. At the time I thought it was a brave move and I liked it; that the club was trying to do something different from the same old same old approach ... and I still like it. Was always going to be a rough road to travel though. We need to cut him some slack.

14 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Yip he's clearly very frustrated.  

We know we're not fielding a full strength side just now, so there is some mitigation.  However, he's clearly really getting pissed off with a lack of focus and awareness in some of  his players - a basic lack of maturity perhaps.

He sounds unsure of how to fix it.