The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Anyways, what players would you like to keep for next season? I’d only have Gibson, Reilly and McLelland out this seasons lot.

Obviously a lot will depend on whether we go part time, stay full time or adopt a hybrid approach.

We've currently got Cochrane, Church, Brydon, McKechnie, Doherty and Hutchinson contracted.  I'd be looking to reach agreements with the latter three to leave.

Of the rest, I'd hope to keep Gibson, Mimnaugh and Connelly.  With McClelland (if available) and Todd I'm on the fence.  No-one else.

3 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Thank God for that - even his leaving statement just screams of self-preservation.

it wasnt successful because of injuries - ie not my fault we were rubbish

"a young group will have improved and learned a lot and be better for it" - ie if the club is better next year actually I should get credit for this 

The delusions are off the scale. Good riddance. 

Yes, in most cases, I'd have a little sympathy for the departing manager, even if the decision was overdue.  That's how it felt with Naysmith for instance.

I'm struggling to find much of that for Bartley though, and I think that's to do with the complete absence of humility that's accompanied the humiliation.

His parting shot really does sum up his tenure quite neatly.

McCall knows his football, and he can judge a player ... but I think he's hard to control and it usually ends in tears sooner or later.  Good for a quick fix, but long term never seems to work out anywhere.  Also, not very mobile - ie I don't think he drives which isn't great for getting out and about scouting players etc - not the end of the world I know but not very flexible for such a key post.

Apart from Murphy, I guess it will be the usual list of well worn candidates from the merry-go-round ... which doesn't exactly fill me with optimism.  Wonder if we will get another surprise candidate?

3 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Obviously a lot will depend on whether we go part time, stay full time or adopt a hybrid approach.

We've currently got Cochrane, Church, Brydon, McKechnie, Doherty and Hutchinson contracted.  I'd be looking to reach agreements with the latter three to leave.

Of the rest, I'd hope to keep Gibson, Mimnaugh and Connelly.  With McClelland (if available) and Todd I'm on the fence.  No-one else.

I'd agree with this. 

7 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'm surprised he didn't get sacked immediately after that 20 odd minute bizarre post match interview accusing the players of spending too much time playing the PlayStation. 

I'll miss his Saturday evening interviews with Sandra.

I quite enjoyed getting wound up by them.

1 minute ago, bagpuss said:

You guys must be very happy bunnies tonight. Highlight of your season.

^^^ Nailed it.

I never like the idea of anyone being sacked, but it wasn't working and it had to be done (should have been sooner).  I thought it was a refreshing appointment at the start but he lacks humility, doesn't appear to listen to others and doesn't own up to or learn from his mistakes.

2 minutes ago, bagpuss said:

Highlight of your season.

Yes, the competition has not been fierce.

I'm just looking forward to his self serving appearance on 'Sacked in the Morning'.

14 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

^^^ Nailed it.

I never like the idea of anyone being sacked, but it wasn't working and it had to be done (should have been sooner).  I thought it was a refreshing appointment at the start but he lacks humility, doesn't appear to listen to others and doesn't own up to or learn from his mistakes.

I agree. It was fresh, exciting and looked a great score. In reality he had no idea how to assemble a balanced squad, motivate and select a team or change games. A pity. I don’t have the rancour most fans have for him but time for him to go. Onwards and upwards with a superior  candidate. We deserve better. The last 5 years have been a brutal watch. 

On the upside of this is surely Bartley will release the pictures he's been keeping as collateral. I've been making the joke so often about how bulletproof he is after some of the most unquestionably abject showings and the general downward trend he's been on.

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Anyways, what players would you like to keep for next season? I’d only have Gibson, Reilly and McLelland out this seasons lot.

Same here and Brydon possibly Connolly at a push. 

I head a rumour Reilly was retiring at the end of this campaign. 

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Really surprised at QOTS this season. Thought yous looked like a right good team last year. I expected you to be into the playoffs at least and even challenging for the title this year! 

We had an excellent goalscorer in Ruari Paton last season. Otherwise we were every bit as shite as we’ve been this time around. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

McCall knows his football, and he can judge a player ... but I think he's hard to control and it usually ends in tears sooner or later.  Good for a quick fix, but long term never seems to work out anywhere.  Also, not very mobile - ie I don't think he drives which isn't great for getting out and about scouting players etc - not the end of the world I know but not very flexible for such a key post.

Apart from Murphy, I guess it will be the usual list of well worn candidates from the merry-go-round ... which doesn't exactly fill me with optimism.  Wonder if we will get another surprise candidate?

Who are really the current lower league merry-go-rounders? Got zero data to back up this claim but it seems like the leagues have never been fuller of young, first time managers - some doing great jobs and some really poor.

Plus your last 2 appointments have been the opposite of merry-go-round managers and were unmitigated disasters. It's not as trendy but going for an experienced manager who knows the level might be for the best, although like I say I can barely think of any realistic ones, except McCall.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

What happened to Stone today see he went off after about an hour. Heard we are looking at him for next season as competition for Hogarth.

Just giving Botterill a bit of a game I think. No obvious injury to Stone anyway. Botteril was stripped and ready at half-time but the change wasn't made until well into the half. Stone would be a more than decent signing for the Championship.

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

Tell me Murray is away as well or is he hanging on like a bad smell 

Contract ended I think so can't see him getting it renewed.