The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

What position did Dickinson play?

Started left wing in a 4-2-3-1 formation, but seemed to have a bit of freedom to move more central with Josh Walker (Trialist 4) coming wide. Finished the game at Left Back with Kennedy ahead of him.

I think Walker will be kept on as a replacement for Connelly, it'll be interesting to see how he develops turning full time. Charlie Barnes did ok at right back and the centre back trialist looked like he could be a good signing, but the left back didn't cut it I'm afraid. 

23 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Started left wing in a 4-2-3-1 formation, but seemed to have a bit of freedom to move more central with Josh Walker (Trialist 4) coming wide. Finished the game at Left Back with Kennedy ahead of him.

I think Walker will be kept on as a replacement for Connelly, it'll be interesting to see how he develops turning full time. Charlie Barnes did ok at right back and the centre back trialist looked like he could be a good signing, but the left back didn't cut it I'm afraid. 

Agreed. 👍

8 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Yip, that's about right. Liked the physical presence that Dickenson brought.

Who was the #10? Thought he did well.

And the short blonde #8 (it wasn't Johnstone as per the team sheet) started well before fading somewhat.

49 minutes ago, QOS5Ayr4 said:

And the short blonde #8 (it wasn't Johnstone as per the team sheet) started well before fading somewhat.

Aye that’s Andy Oram, just back from shoulder surgery I think. Cracking wee player, could have a big year if given the chance

8 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Never thought any of the trialists looked worth signing certainly none anywhere near the level of Connelly doing OK not enough for me .

Murphy could not sign any on last night's performance .

A very young team but we did not have a shot on goal was  like watching Scotland plenty of the ball but we did nothing with it.

Douglas and Kennedy looked good when they came on.

Lyon Benji and McIntosh I hope will lift the team as will a fit Church and Brydon.

I would hope still more quality to be added to the squad especially in forward areas.

49 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Never thought any of the trialists looked worth signing certainly none anywhere near the level of Connelly doing OK not enough for me .

Murphy could not sign any on last night's performance .

A very young team but we did not have a shot on goal was  like watching Scotland plenty of the ball but we did nothing with it.

Douglas and Kennedy looked good when they came on.

Lyon Benji and McIntosh I hope will lift the team as will a fit Church and Brydon.

I would hope still more quality to be added to the squad especially in forward areas.

We started with two definite starters, 3 that I’d imagine will be in and out. 4/5 trialists and young boys. Nowhere near our first team line up, chill the f**k out. We’ve had pre season we’ve looked quality and season has fell on its arse so manager using friendlies to try things isn’t an issue for me. That’s a strong Clyde side as well. We were missing about 5 starters and I’d expect about same number to still come in.

Dickenson looks a class above, can’t wait to see him with better players. Thought Ben Johnstone was really good when he came on. Matty Douglas calmed us down at back, thought when he came on Barnes started to settle down and had a good second half, Big centre half did okay too, worth another look. Rest of the trialists for the bin. 

Let Connelly go, showed in brief flashes what he’s capable of but confident we’ll Not miss him this season

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Thought the same, especially the early stages of the first half. Lots of possession and moving the ball round quite well but nothing going forward. Did we even have a shot on target in the second half?

15 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

... Thought Ben Johnstone was really good when he came on... Big centre half did okay too, worth another look. Rest of the trialists for the bin. 

Didn't Johnstone start? Number 8? I'd agree with giving the centre half trialist another game or two. He looked half decent. The No2 seemed to get stuck in too. The rest I was not that impressed with.

I know its only the 2nd pre season game and I wasn't expecting much but it appears we've a helluva lot of work to do before the season starts. I take heart from other posts saying we're missing a number of first team regulars so am sure things can only get better. If you conceded those three goals in a competitive game, you'd probably chuck it and not go back. For a friendly Clyde certainly weren't holding back on some of the tackles.

Nice to be back in Palmerston though. Those gulls are fucking monsters. I was going to suggest we hire someone with a hawk to scare them off but am sure the gulls would kill the hawk then laugh at us.

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

Thought the same, especially the early stages of the first half. Lots of possession and moving the ball round quite well but nothing going forward. Did we even have a shot on target in the second half?

Didn't Johnstone start? Number 8? I'd agree with giving the centre half trialist another game or two. He looked half decent. The No2 seemed to get stuck in too. The rest I was not that impressed with.

I know its only the 2nd pre season game and I wasn't expecting much but it appears we've a helluva lot of work to do before the season starts. I take heart from other posts saying we're missing a number of first team regulars so am sure things can only get better. If you conceded those three goals in a competitive game, you'd probably chuck it and not go back. For a friendly Clyde certainly weren't holding back on some of the tackles.

Nice to be back in Palmerston though. Those gulls are fucking monsters. I was going to suggest we hire someone with a hawk to scare them off but am sure the gulls would kill the hawk then laugh at us.

No mate that was Oram. Team sheet was wrong. Ben came on second half. 

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

The most entertaining part of the second half was watching one of the locals persistently trying to square up to the gulls. He seemed genuinely raging that he they weren't returning his desire for a head-to-head scrap.

6 hours ago, QOS5Ayr4 said:

#10 was Josh Walker, was at Stranraer before and finished last season at Annan, so Murphy knows him well. Of course he's not as good as Lee Connelly, yet, but I'd be interested to see how he does stepping up to full time football.

As others have said #8 was Andy Oram, good player at reserve level, would like to keep an eye on his progression.

Can't believe some people are so worried. This was nothing like a strong starting lineup, it's an early pre-season friendly with lots of trialists and youth players. Yes the goals conceded were poor, but one trialist in particular and a couple of youth players were caught out for each goal. That's not concerning at this stage.

1 hour ago, DG.Roma said:

#10 was Josh Walker, was at Stranraer before and finished last season at Annan, so Murphy knows him well. Of course he's not as good as Lee Connelly, yet, but I'd be interested to see how he does stepping up to full time football.

As others have said #8 was Andy Oram, good player at reserve level, would like to keep an eye on his progression.

Can't believe some people are so worried. This was nothing like a strong starting lineup, it's an early pre-season friendly with lots of trialists and youth players. Yes the goals conceded were poor, but one trialist in particular and a couple of youth players were caught out for each goal. That's not concerning at this stage.

See the goals on Clyde X feed. I take your point but they were all shocking. 

1 hour ago, DG.Roma said:

I'm not sure it's "some people", it's more one poster who is hardly renowned for his optimism.

Ludicrous to read anything into a game this early.

Just read the sad news about Bill Goldie.  Didn't know and hadn't met the guy but his name was well known around Palmerston, and he clearly loved and worked hard for his club.  Sympathies to his family, and rest in peace Bill.

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

I'm not sure it's "some people", it's more one poster who is hardly renowned for his optimism.

Ludicrous to read anything into a game this early.

Yes way too early. We only had 2-3 first teamers playing. A bit odd though. If we were going to go this young/ trialist thing would it not have been better to have a closed doors match rather than seeing the gnashing of teeth from some fans following a cash gate escapade? 

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Aye on here, absolutely true. Also seen comments elsewhere and heard some at the game, hopefully mostly in jest.

10 hours ago, qos1990 said:

We started with two definite starters, 3 that I’d imagine will be in and out. 4/5 trialists and young boys. Nowhere near our first team line up, chill the f**k out. We’ve had pre season we’ve looked quality and season has fell on its arse so manager using friendlies to try things isn’t an issue for me. That’s a strong Clyde side as well. We were missing about 5 starters and I’d expect about same number to still come in.

Dickenson looks a class above, can’t wait to see him with better players. Thought Ben Johnstone was really good when he came on. Matty Douglas calmed us down at back, thought when he came on Barnes started to settle down and had a good second half, Big centre half did okay too, worth another look. Rest of the trialists for the bin. 

Let Connelly go, showed in brief flashes what he’s capable of but confident we’ll Not miss him this season

Trialist CB not getting a deal.