The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Unfortunately not. My eyes were in full working order during that period and witnessed our distinctly average league form and capitulation in all 3 cup competitions to lower league opposition.

It was a complete disaster of a season, even through blue-tinted spectacles.

At the beginning of January we were comfortably 6th, 3 points behind 4th, 4 points behind 3rd and 7 points behind 2nd with a game in hand over all the clubs above us. I suppose, technically, thats average in a 10 team league but its hardly a disaster. 

4 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Unfortunately not. My eyes were in full working order during that period and witnessed our distinctly average league form and capitulation in all 3 cup competitions to lower league opposition.

It was a complete disaster of a season, even through blue-tinted spectacles.

We had very poor results in cup competitions and from Jan nosedived in the league too. The only thing that saved the managers job was the season getting called early.... 

18 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Disappointed we went for Buchanan - hope I’m wrong but players that continually fail to impress at consecutive clubs rarely turn it around and in all honesty, a good Championship centre back should have strolled it in League 1 with a team expected to romp away with the title.

Buchanan was good for us in the Championship up until he left in 2017. I’m surprised he’s struggled elsewhere since then tbh. There’s a competent defender in there without a doubt and at 30 he’s hardly finished. 

Fitzpatrick was more than a comfortable player in the championship with us. Since then he will have matured even more and got experience with Norwich.  I think that’s a great signing for Queens.  Will probably put several goals past us for you in the league cup as well 
also think some of the others like McKee will be decent for you guys too

That's Dykes officially away. Hello to our cash money brothers, enjoy :D  £2m cash and then add ons for appearances, goals and international call up - which Warburton seems to confirm he's chosen Scotland

Edited by ATLIS

Buchanan was good for us in the Championship up until he left in 2017. I’m surprised he’s struggled elsewhere since then tbh. There’s a competent defender in there without a doubt and at 30 he’s hardly finished. 

I remember him being solid for Dumbarton and like you I thought he would have done well at the likes of Morton and especially Falkirk in essentially a PT league. As others have said we have no option but to sign players who for one reason or another have failed to impress elsewhere. If they were all delivering they wouldn’t see us as a viable option anyway. Hope he bounces back with us - it is a vital position for every club and big underperformance in central defence usually coincides with a relegation fight. Hope you are right and he regains his Dumbarton form.

Lyndon being sold for £2m+ is nothing but fantastic news for the club at this time. Happier times at Palmerston again? 

The bit that interested me most was in the Club's statement. Sell on fee must be higher than 10% or do we get a percentage of the add-ons as well? 

"Although he is being transferred from Livingston, the deal has the potential of being a new club record for us.  It currently stands at quarter of a million pounds set when Andy Thomson moved from Palmerston to Southend United in 1994."  

Don't get me wrong, by the time he left I was a big fan of Dykes but in took me a while to get that way (probably because he was wasted out wide for so long, similar to Nicky Clark actually). If you had said to me before I was converted that we would get money for him I'd have laughed in your face. If you said he would be our record transfer fee I'd have called the white coats.

Great news all round for us, Dykes and Scotland as well (if he chooses us). If Shankland has already got a call up then I expect Dykes wont be far away if he hits the ground running at QPR.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Don't get me wrong, by the time he left I was a big fan of Dykes but in took me a while to get that way (probably because he was wasted out wide for so long, similar to Nicky Clark actually). If you had said to me before I was converted that we would get money for him I'd have laughed in your face. If you said he would be our record transfer fee I'd have called the white coats.

See I just dont see this at all. Dont get me wrong, I know your view is far from unique, but to me it was very obvious from day 1 that Lyndon was something special. He was obviously very raw in 2016 but even then he possessed a combination of pace and power that was rarely seen, a work ethic that was borderline Steve Bowey-like and a never say die attitude. I dont really buy that he massively improved in any way other than getting fitter, stronger and more game-wise in his later years. He played more as a centre forward in his last season too but this suggestion that he spent years playing wide is massively exaggerated. Gavin Skelton brought him into the side playing wide left certainly with but he left after about 3 months. Naysmith didnt play so much with out and out widemen and brought him into a more central role (which he is in the paper taking credit for today I see).

I thought very early on he was an obvious asset to the club and it was no surprise he was put on a longer contract within 2 months of arriving. I dont really think his progress at Livi is any surprise and I was always confident he would succeed at that level. Going higher so quickly is great for him though. Its done him no harm that he always showed up well against Celtic. Gets people noticing him.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

See I just dont see this at all. Dont get me wrong, I know your view is far from unique, but to me it was very obvious from day 1 that Lyndon was something special. He was obviously very raw in 2016 but even then he possessed a combination of pace and power that was rarely seen, a work ethic that was borderline Steve Bowey-like and a never say die attitude. I dont really buy that he massively improved in any way other than getting fitter, stronger and more game-wise in his later years. He played more as a centre forward in his last season too but this suggestion that he spent years plsying wide is massively exaggerated. Gavin Skelton brought him into the side playing wide left certainly with but he left after about 3 months. Naysmith didnt play so much with out and out widemen and brought him into a more central role (which he is in the paper taking credit for today I see).
I thought very early on he was an obvious asset to the club and it was no surprise he was put on a longer contract within 2 months of arriving. I dont really think his progress at Livi is any surprise and I was always confident he would succeed at that level. Going higher so quickly is great for him though. Its done him no harm that he always showed up well against Celtic. Gets people noticing him.
Given this discussion has been done to death when Dykes was here there isn't any point going back and forth. I stand by my view that he did much better when utilised through the middle. I'll go as far as saying that regardless of his attitude and attributes, had he been continued to be played out wide rather than through the middle then he would never be anywhere close to the position he's in now.

2 hours ago, third lanark said:

Fitzpatrick was more than a comfortable player in the championship with us. Since then he will have matured even more and got experience with Norwich.  I think that’s a great signing for Queens.  Will probably put several goals past us for you in the league cup as well 
also think some of the others like McKee will be decent for you guys too

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Good to see some positive input from other fans for a change 

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
37 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:
See I just dont see this at all. Dont get me wrong, I know your view is far from unique, but to me it was very obvious from day 1 that Lyndon was something special. He was obviously very raw in 2016 but even then he possessed a combination of pace and power that was rarely seen, a work ethic that was borderline Steve Bowey-like and a never say die attitude. I dont really buy that he massively improved in any way other than getting fitter, stronger and more game-wise in his later years. He played more as a centre forward in his last season too but this suggestion that he spent years plsying wide is massively exaggerated. Gavin Skelton brought him into the side playing wide left certainly with but he left after about 3 months. Naysmith didnt play so much with out and out widemen and brought him into a more central role (which he is in the paper taking credit for today I see).

Given this discussion has been done to death when Dykes was here there isn't any point going back and forth. I stand by my view that he did much better when utilised through the middle. I'll go as far as saying that regardless of his attitude and attributes, had he been continued to be played out wide rather than through the middle then he would never be anywhere close to the position he's in now.

But my point is he was 'played wide' for the 1st 3 months of a 3 year spell here. Something Gary Naysmith also says in the paper today. You are going on like he only came off the wing in the last year. Thats just not true.

Really pleased for him getting another good move.

Before he joined Livi I felt all that was missing was his goals.  I think his assists with us was superb but if he added another 5-10 goals we would have finished a lot higher up the league.

Fair play to him and Liv,  as he has improved again in the higher league and shown that he can more than hold his own against the top teams in Scotland. 

Livi have only really had him for a short time. However, I am sure what he did for them and of course what they did for him  (along with the lions share of the money) will more than make up for that.

It was a nice touch Livi  mentioning Queens in his development too, when it was realistically their party, so to speak. 👏👏

Now is time for him to show he can do it in the English Championship. I wish him well and hope that he does pull on a Scotland shirt in the near future.

Edited by qos_75

Funny how times change. Andy Thomson’s fee went a good way towards building a new stand. The fee for Dykes looks like it pay for a few Championship jobbers for a season.

Fair play to Dykes, though. Imo Naysmith didn’t get the most out of him. He either played wide left or like a defensive central midfield player for a lot of the time. I appreciate that forwards have to drop into midfield on occasion, but he seemed to spend more time in and around our box than he did in the opposition’s.

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

Funny how times change. Andy Thomson’s fee went a good way towards building a new stand. The fee for Dykes looks like it pay for a few Championship jobbers for a season.

Fair play to Dykes, though. Imo Naysmith didn’t get the most out of him. He either played wide left or like a defensive central midfield player for a lot of the time. I appreciate that forwards have to drop into midfield on occasion, but he seemed to spend more time in and around our box than he did in the opposition’s.

These are strange times ... I agree with you.

It was clear Dykes was far more effective, offensively, playing further forward. It allowed him to hold the ball up and make runs into the channels. Its where he's played at Livingston and whats made him look a much better player.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Delighted with the windfall, but he never won me over as a Queens player - I suspect he'll live with that though.

Give me peak Sean O'Connor any day.

Only seen him when he played against Dunfermline but I'd agree, can't beleive he's went for that amount of money, fantastic business for QoTS though. 

Not sure how he'll fare in the championship, the centre backs are more athletic, and bigger than in the Premiership.