The Queen of the South thread

Buchanan is absolutely hopeless. Looked a bombscare playing in an expensively assembled Falkirk squad playing against part timers last season. I expected him to pitch up at one of those Queens Park, Kelty, Darvel sorts, not jumping up a division. He has two major errors in him a game and seems to think he's some sort of ball playing libero.
See you on the beach in August 2021 lads!
Things that bad at Falkirk you're expecting to be there next season as well?

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
Buchanan is absolutely hopeless. Looked a bombscare playing in an expensively assembled Falkirk squad playing against part timers last season. I expected him to pitch up at one of those Queens Park, Kelty, Darvel sorts, not jumping up a division. He has two major errors in him a game and seems to think he's some sort of ball playing libero.
See you on the beach in August 2021 lads!

Things that bad at Falkirk you're expecting to be there next season as well?

That was obviously what I meant, yes.

Couple of signings off being confident of us going up this season, one of which would ideally have been a CB. I'm delighted it's not Buchanan.

15 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Good to see yous are also retaining all your shite from last season 

'Shite' that effortlessly ragdolled your outfit 4-0 on your own midden at the last time of asking champ, sit down and shut up then.

IMG_3095.jpg.c4e03459196c46528c71353f0592ad09.jpg 

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

giphy (6).gif

Oddly enough I was looking up Championship players last night, and Pybus pops up as, statistically, one of the best young ball winning/defensive midfielders in the division. 

Offers zero going forward, but (and ill add here this all based on numbers) looks like the perfect player to play beside a less mobile playmaker (McKee?).

Edited by RandomGuy.

Oddly enough I was looking up Championship players last night, and Pybus pops up as, statistically, the best young ball winning/defensive in the division. 
Offers zero going forward, but (
His distribution is woeful. If he's being used to get in the faces of the opposition midfield then he should be ok tbf. If AJ uses him like he did when we finished then he going to be a wasted jersey again.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

His distribution is woeful. If he's being used to get in the faces of the opposition midfield then he should be ok tbf. If AJ uses him like he did when we finished then he going to be a wasted jersey again.

Yeah there's only show much numbers can tell you about a player tbh, I've just noticed QOS fans not rating him before so his name stood out when looking at certain things.

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Oddly enough I was looking up Championship players last night, and Pybus pops up as, statistically, one of the best young ball winning/defensive midfielders in the division. 

Offers zero going forward, but (and ill add here this all based on numbers) looks like the perfect player to play beside a less mobile playmaker (McKee?).

What's stats based website are you using to look at that information? 

That’s what I’m hoping he’ll be left to do, the difference in him from beginning of season than towards the end was massive. Get him breaking up play and make a simple pass and he’s fine, we had 3/4 midfielders that all wanted to play the same role. I feel pybus was pushed on to accommodate that and it isn’t his game at all. Or that’s what I’m trying to convince myself

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

What's stats based website are you using to look at that information? 

Wyscout.

Was looking up Championship played aged under 23/24, filtering by position, and then looking at the rankings.

Pybus was top, or close to top, in most defensive "actions" for CMs.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can vaguely recall getting really wound up by Buchanan during a game against Morton at Palmerston.  I can't really remember the details, but I'm pretty sure it was along the lines that he was being very physical with our attackers, climbing all over them and swinging his arms about at set pieces etc. then up the other end when we were defending set pieces he was going down like a sack of tatties trying to win a penalty.

For that reason alone I'm quite happy with the signing.  We're long overdue signing a bit of a b*****d.  We've had too many pea-hearted push overs in recent times.

Oh he's a b*****d alright, but not the kind you are hoping for.

They lynchpin of the Dunfermline defence as they finished 7th in League 1 and that's precisely where you are headed with signings like Buchanan and McKee.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wyscout.

Was looking up Championship played aged under 23/24, filtering by position, and then looking at the rankings.

Pybus was top, or close to top, in most defensive "actions" for CMs.

Fair enough, I've not done much at all looking into it, but is it not quite expensive or can you get that information without paying for it? 

My worry would be about how they collect the data tbh, who's watching the games back and annotating who's doing what? I've never understood how they do that with stats. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Fair enough, I've not done much at all looking into it, but is it not quite expensive or can you get that information without paying for it? 

~£270 for a year, just now. Its €300 so depending on the exchange.

ModernFitba do top flight stats, for passing and attacking for like £2.50 a month. Fbref do similar stuff for free, as do WhoScored now, but don't have as much detail as ModernFitba.

For lower league stats I couldnt find anywhere that done them to the degree of Wyscout. Money is worth it for me, as I just think of its monthly payments and I have a use for it thatll last a full year.

Some of their stats are a bit sketchy to me. You get clips to go with most "actions" so its worth watching them to figure out your own numbers based on that.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The only reason that Buchanan wasn't the worst defender for Falkirk last season was Mark Durnan.  

Buchanan was certainly worse than Durnan. Hence Durnan and Hall being kept on and Buchanan being emptied.

The only reason that Buchanan wasn't the worst defender for Falkirk last season was Mark Durnan.  

Mark Durnan was a lot better than Buchanan last season tbh. As a partnership they were poor but once Buchanan was dropped Durnan was solid and most of the mistakes seemed to disappear from his game. Argument could be made for Mikey Doyle being worse than Buchanan though.