The Queen of the South thread

54 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

No obsession....  With all the talk of having a young squad, I thought the signing of both Semple (21) & Pybus (22) would be good assets for the club. In my opinion they were the best young players at Queens last season. 

A fit Semple is a good young defender but his fitness is the problem .

He really missed a huge part of the season when he struggled to get fit enough to play get him in for pre season training to get a look at him before offering him anything .

20 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The only reason that Buchanan wasn't the worst defender for Falkirk last season was Mark Durnan.  

I’m afraid this isn’t correct. Durnan was better than Buchanan and improved when Buchanan was dropped as he was less nervous.

I really wanted Buchanan to do well as he was a local lad and a fan but the truth is he just wasn’t good enough for League One.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Could it be Connor Shields? Who was at Sunderland then Aldershot was in  newspaper few weeks ago that he was open to a move back to Scotland, hopefully we get him another good signing along with Aiden Fitzpatrick, Joe Mckee & Pybus squad slowly starting to take shape... 

AJ tried to sign him while he was at Dunfermline. 

24 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Did AJ have him at Dunfermline? 

He did, released him when he went to Ayr. 

52 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

No he didn’t, you offered Geggan a new deal however he chose to come back to Ayr. 

I’d have Geggan for a season. I know he’s predominantly a midfielder but did he ever feature right back? 

I’d have Geggan for a season. I know he’s predominantly a midfielder but did he ever feature right back? 

He was predominantly a right back for us.

Good crossing and will always be a threat from set pieces. He is slow now though and picks up bookings from hacking down anyone that dares to run past him. He’s also rarely fit so you’ll need a backup.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Good crossing and will always be a threat from set pieces. He is slow now though and picks up bookings from hacking down anyone that dares to run past him. He’s also rarely fit so you’ll need a backup.

I always thought he was used in midfield mostly. We need a right back but if his fitness is an issue then maybe it’s a no go. 

I always thought he was used in midfield mostly. We need a right back but if his fitness is an issue then maybe it’s a no go. 

For Dunfermline the year they won the league he was head and shoulders above anyone as a midfielder but I think AJ rarely used him there in the Championship and instead played him at right back.

Then McCall signed him and we all presumed he’d be playing midfielder again but I think he only featured there on a few occasions and wasn’t really anything special. He did however play on the right hand side in front of the right back for us in the Championship and was pretty handy but that was one of the few occasions of McCall getting any success from playing players out of position.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Rumour is he was offered a deal similar to previous injury prone players but felt it was not right for him on a full time contract , can see him possibly going with a decent part time club 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

No he didn’t, you offered Geggan a new deal however he chose to come back to Ayr. 

Ah that was right, AJ offered him a 1 year deal, Ayr a 2.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

For Dunfermline the year they won the league he was head and shoulders above anyone as a midfielder but I think AJ rarely used him there in the Championship and instead played him at right back.

He started off in midfield but he wasn't really good enough tbh. Was much better at right back at championship level. 

Not sure how many of the rumoured signings will actually come to fruition but if we get Fitzpatrick that would be potentially a great signing. Disappointed we went for Buchanan - hope I’m wrong but players that continually fail to impress at consecutive clubs rarely turn it around and in all honesty, a good Championship centre back should have strolled it in League 1 with a team expected to romp away with the title. Happy to see Devine return - came at a bad time last season when the whole team was in free fall but I think he looked promising and will surely only improve. A fit Semple would be a good signing but have no idea how he has looked after himself in lockdown.Glad that we are at least attempting to sign midfielders who can “play a bit” as opposed to honest grafters who struggle to keep the ball.

Progress being made if we can get some of these over the line.

44 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Not sure how many of the rumoured signings will actually come to fruition but if we get Fitzpatrick that would be potentially a great signing. Disappointed we went for Buchanan - hope I’m wrong but players that continually fail to impress at consecutive clubs rarely turn it around and in all honesty, a good Championship centre back should have strolled it in League 1 with a team expected to romp away with the title. Happy to see Devine return - came at a bad time last season when the whole team was in free fall but I think he looked promising and will surely only improve. A fit Semple would be a good signing but have no idea how he has looked after himself in lockdown.Glad that we are at least attempting to sign midfielders who can “play a bit” as opposed to honest grafters who struggle to keep the ball.

Is AJ still on furlough till next week is that why no signing have been announced ..

Are Queens set up to test players twice a week the James Anderson money  to cover costs 

I saw nothing to suggest im happy at the thought of Devine returning

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

I saw nothing to suggest im happy at the thought of Devine returning

Wasn't impressed with Devine for me he was out his depth & was placed on the bench behind Kilday & Semple.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Being third choice behind Kilday and Semple is hardly a write off scenario - both are decent players and I would have certainly been delighted to retain Kilday ahead of Buchanan. I liked Devine because he tried to use the ball and he is potentially a player with ability who might develop quickly. It can’t be easy for a 19 year old to join a squad that is losing every week and while he was responsible for a couple of goals, my first reaction to him was that his profile and style of play was good.

You may well be right - with inexperienced 19 year olds you are always taking a chance but I would rather we favoured players with upside potential rather than players who have failed to perform well over a high number of games with other clubs.

The Fitzpatrick one sounds interesting.

Largely though, the names being mentioned are no great surprises.  That's the market we're in. 

The hope has to be that a functioning Championship side can be made out of players of this type.  Nobody will be shocked if it's another struggle though.  

Largely though, the names being mentioned are no great surprises.  That's the market we're in. 
The hope has to be that a functioning Championship side can be made out of players of this type.  Nobody will be shocked if it's another struggle though.  
I'll be shocked if it isn't a struggle tbh. I'm fully expecting another scrap down the bottom. I just hope AJ can assemble a squad that will at least give us a fighting chance (though ideally a squad that won't be near the bottom) because if it resembles anything like the squad we ended the season with last term, we'll be the league's whipping boys.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This is it in a nutshell.

The grim reality is that lower Championship/Upper League 1 jobbers are the market we are dealing in.  With some unproven youngsters snapped up on loan or plucked from obscurity making up the rest.  The primary tasks for our manager are to find a system that gets the best out of these players, and try and improve them through coaching and giving them experience.

I didn't see anything from Johnston last season to suggest he is capable of any of that.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

This is it in a nutshell.

The grim reality is that lower Championship/Upper League 1 jobbers are the market we are dealing in.  With some unproven youngsters snapped up on loan or plucked from obscurity making up the rest.  The primary tasks for our manager are to find a system that gets the best out of these players, and try and improve them through coaching and giving them experience.

I didn't see anything from Johnston last season to suggest he is capable of any of that.

Did you have your eyes shut from August to January?

38 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Did you have your eyes shut from August to January?

Unfortunately not. My eyes were in full working order during that period and witnessed our distinctly average league form and capitulation in all 3 cup competitions to lower league opposition.

It was a complete disaster of a season, even through blue-tinted spectacles.