The Queen of the South thread

I was there that day, sitting with relatives amongst the Killie support. Who all reckoned Queens deserved at least a draw. Ronnie Hamilton was a good player, I think he preferred part-time with us because he was a head teacher or similar? Not the only time I’ve experienced exhilaration followed swiftly by despair at a Queens game.....

Ronnie Hamilton was a chartered accountant.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Ronnie Hamilton was a chartered accountant.

Ronnie was nearing the end his playing career when he joined Queens. Think he might have been part of the Killie squad that pipped Hearts to the league in 65 but not sure. Was a fine player and gave it everything. 

A favourite memory of mine for some reason around the same time was being 3-1 down to Montrose with 20 minutes left and winning 4-3 with late goals from Ronnie and everyone going mental in the Terregles St end (we all swapped ends each half then). Happy daze ....🙂

Ronnie was nearing the end his playing career when he joined Queens. Think he might have been part of the Killie squad that pipped Hearts to the league in 65 but not sure. Was a fine player and gave it everything. 
A favourite memory of mine for some reason around the same time was being 3-1 down to Montrose with 20 minutes left and winning 4-3 with late goals from Ronnie and everyone going mental in the Terregles St end (we all swapped ends each half then). Happy daze ....[emoji846]

I remember that game. One of my favourite QOS players Jim Donald got the other two goals. Long time ago....

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I remember that game. One of my favourite QOS players Jim Donald got the other two goals. Long time ago....

Jim Donald, bit of a cult hero at Palmy. Used to think we only got the best out of John Dempster when Jim was playing inside right to John.

Think Jim was a pal of Kenny Dalglish and read somewhere he was Best Man at Kenny's wedding ...

Sure Ronnie went on to be a Board member/Chairman at Killie.  Queens had some great players back then in our part-time days,  makes it even more depressing to think now we're full time,   we have to scrape together a squad of jobbers almost every season. 

14 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, would be great, Killie's only 20 miles from me now (and Hamilton 7 miles).

Rugby Park was my first ever away match, Scottish Cup, 1973, lost 2-1. Wee Ronnie Hamilton (ex Killie) equalised for Queens with 10 minutes left but Killie went straight up the other end and won it. Rugby Park had that strange quadrant shaped Johnnie Walker covered terrace behind one goal then.

Was at that game too.  A typical dark , dank January day.   I remember beginning to cheer when that goal went in - and then the disappointment of Eddie Morrison scoring the winner -   but my brother told me to cool it.  I realise now why as we were making our way nearer to the exit and were walking through the crowd in what was then the big side terracing that all the Killie die-hards frequented.

5 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Was at that game too.  A typical dark , dank January day.   I remember beginning to cheer when that goal went in - and then the disappointment of Eddie Morrison scoring the winner -   but my brother told me to cool it.  I realise now why as we were making our way nearer to the exit and were walking through the crowd in what was then the big side terracing that all the Killie die-hards frequented.

That's where the new East Stand is now...

8 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

A favourite memory of mine for some reason around the same time was being 3-1 down to Montrose with 20 minutes left and winning 4-3 with late goals from Ronnie and everyone going mental in the Terregles St end (we all swapped ends each half then). Happy daze ....🙂

Hamilton was in the 1964/5 winning Kilmarnock team that won title at Tynecastle 2-0 on goal average.

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

As does Connor Shields.

For some reason I couldn't view the whole team list on my phone so missed that.  I only looked cos someone on the ICT thread said Todorov was in the team. Well done to both the Queens players. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:
Has Dobbie officially retired?

No. Given the way he was speaking and the interview in a local paper, I fully expect him to be playing next season.

His son Maxwell aged 9 has just signed for Blackpool's Academy...

1 minute ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:
1 hour ago, ALOREBURNE said:
Will this spell the end of Leighfield? 

I doubt Cowie is even shaving yet, let alone ready to step in as first choice goalie.

I think ALOREBURNE was meaning the end of Leighfield's stay at Palmerston as back-up with Cowie taking over that role. I doubt if either will be 1st choice.