The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

No probs @Nithsdale Wanderer I'm of that vintage too, and the club thread is fine for this (in my view).

Rab Thorburn was at Strathclyde University when I was there (75-79), he was doing Mech. Engineering.  I'm sure I heard that he's a very successful businessman these days.  If only he had a few scoobies to spare and was daft enough to plough them into Palmerston!

Real shame about Iain Reid - such a classy forward, scored some lovely goals for us, including finishing a lovely move in a 2-1 win at Brockville that earned us a brick through the bus window leaving the ground - sadly quite a few of those goals with his head which has no doubt contributed to his dementia.  Tragic to hear.

Fondly remember that East Fife cup tie, they were in the top league that season and it was the very first Sunday that fitba had been allowed by the SFA/SFL so it drew a big crowd of 5,702 (according to Iain McCartney's fine book).  That was before the days of segregation and fans used to change ends at half time but for some reason the EF fans thought they'd stay put in the Portland Rd for the second half - bad move lads, they got punted double quick time when the home fans arrived!  Won that game with a John Dempster penalty - think maybe Derek Renton (ex Hearts) was fouled for the penalty?  Went to the next round up at East End Park (also a Sunday game) and that drew 7,692 with The Pars also in the top league then - and alas my hero John Dempster managed to miss a sitter, clearing the bar somehow from the six yard line.  East End Park was a cracking old time stadium back then.

We had a fine side then with guys like Allan Ball (rip), Iain McChesney, Billy Mclaren, Crawford Boyd, Jimmy Donald, John Dempster, Iain Reid and the late but great Tommy O'Hara who was a marvellously gifted ball player.  Dempster was very much the penalty taker then and had a bullet of a right foot on him.  Sad to hear that several of that side are having their struggles now - best wishes to all.

I had no idea that Tommy O'Hara had passed away. He played for us in the 83/84 season, mainly as a left back IIRC? Really good player.

23 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I had no idea that Tommy O'Hara had passed away. He played for us in the 83/84 season, mainly as a left back IIRC? Really good player.

Yep, the word class is overused by fans but Tommy was truly a seriously classy player ... sadly missed.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

He was certainly left sided, but when with Queens was an attacking midfielder in modern parlance. He might have moved to LB later in his career, not sure.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

He was certainly left sided, but when with Queens was an attacking midfielder in modern parlance. He might have moved to LB later in his career, not sure.

A smashing player with us.

My memory is that he did play quite often at LB for us but as you say he came to us as a more attacking player.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just watched the goals. Connelly's second a goal of the season contender. Absolute belter. 

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Some performance from wee Lee Connelly there ... deserves a special club award in it's own right ... and that fourth goal, jeezy peeps ... he's not getting the pace from a ball played back to him, instead he has to generate all the pace himself from 25 yards out ... it's pure filth, what a strike man, pure belter. 👏👏👏👌👌👌🫶

9 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Some performance from wee Lee Connelly there ... deserves a special club award in it's own right ... and that fourth goal, jeezy peeps ... he's not getting the pace from a ball played back to him, instead he has to generate all the pace himself from 25 yards out ... it's pure filth, what a strike man, pure belter. 👏👏👏👌👌👌🫶

Look forward to a rejuvenating team against the top four. 

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Look forward to a rejuvenating team against the top four. 

Just wait for Saturday when we spectacularly implode against the Embra U18s ... consistency, Queens ...?

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

No probs @Nithsdale Wanderer I'm of that vintage too, and the club thread is fine for this (in my view).

Rab Thorburn was at Strathclyde University when I was there (75-79), he was doing Mech. Engineering.  I'm sure I heard that he's a very successful businessman these days.  If only he had a few scoobies to spare and was daft enough to plough them into Palmerston!

Real shame about Iain Reid - such a classy forward, scored some lovely goals for us, including finishing a lovely move in a 2-1 win at Brockville that earned us a brick through the bus window leaving the ground - sadly quite a few of those goals with his head which has no doubt contributed to his dementia.  Tragic to hear.

Fondly remember that East Fife cup tie, they were in the top league that season and it was the very first Sunday that fitba had been allowed by the SFA/SFL so it drew a big crowd of 5,702 (according to Iain McCartney's fine book).  That was before the days of segregation and fans used to change ends at half time but for some reason the EF fans thought they'd stay put in the Portland Rd for the second half - bad move lads, they got punted double quick time when the home fans arrived!  Won that game with a John Dempster penalty - think maybe Derek Renton (ex Hearts) was fouled for the penalty?  Went to the next round up at East End Park (also a Sunday game) and that drew 7,692 with The Pars also in the top league then - and alas my hero John Dempster managed to miss a sitter, clearing the bar somehow from the six yard line.  East End Park was a cracking old time stadium back then.

We had a fine side then with guys like Allan Ball (rip), Iain McChesney, Billy Mclaren, Crawford Boyd, Jimmy Donald, John Dempster, Iain Reid and the late but great Tommy O'Hara who was a marvellously gifted ball player.  Dempster was very much the penalty taker then and had a bullet of a right foot on him.  Sad to hear that several of that side are having their struggles now - best wishes to all.

I remember that Sunday game V East Fife, as you say no segregation, I remember standing in the Portland Drive Terrace with Queens fans at one side and EF fans at the other and a few stones and other objects passing overhead before a bit of order was restored. 

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Missed it the first time: look at Gibson's reaction to the 4th goal. Bottom left hand side of the screen :lol:

His 40 yard forward pass to to Reilly is also worth a mention. Amazing how we can hurt teams when we get the ball forward quickly!

1 hour ago, bod said:

His 40 yard forward pass to to Reilly is also worth a mention. Amazing how we can hurt teams when we get the ball forward quickly!

Aye that was very good as well. I originally thought it was Ferguson (who outside the goals looked good on the highlights) but had a look back to see it was Gibson. Hopefully this 11 can stay fit/continue to get picked and we can start to build on Saturday.

Big reserves win today too, 5-2 against Airdrie. Kier Foster Pen after Harry McLinden was brought down; Lewis Downie hat-trick, all three set up by McLinden; and a superb strike from Finlay Kennedy after a beautiful chipped through ball from Charlie Watson. A couple of big saves from Mark Thomson too. Well done Danny & the lads!

Good Youth Update on the OS. Nice to get information concerning the progress of the young lads. Hopefully we'll see them progressing to the first team. Well done Dan and the others involved in the development of our youth teams.

On 11/12/2023 at 19:49, the_palmy_pie said:

Jim McGuire is the special guest at Palmerston this weekend. He was a brilliant player for Queens and still speaks fondly about his time here. 

Really nice guy, met him a few times and discussed his time with us.

Fast, entertaining , tricky winger for us.  Remember his arrival at Palmy in Jan 89 - I think - scored a belter from 18 yds after swiveling on the edge of the box against Killie - the team he had just left.

Really good Cup tie that in which Tommy Sloan put us 2-1 up only for the diminutive Gardner Spiers to equalise with a header in front of the Killie fans at the Terregles Street end.

Got our own back in the replay though in which McGuire scored the only goal of the game to put us through.  Did he also get sent off in that or was it Derek Cook ?