The Queen of the South thread

19 hours ago, queenslad said:

I'm now looking forward to the match next Saturday evening. A chance to get back on winning ways after disappointment of last action of the match. A big crowd, a few beers and hopefully retain the Calcutta cup

Watching the rugby is similar to watching Queens.  No forward passes allowed.

What a mess the club has now become a stadium thats falling to bits, the club can’t even put hot water or even soap in the taps in the toilets, a dwindling crowd with no excitement around the club or anything to attract the younger generation in the community utter dross football getting served up every week with a manager that’s delusional. Games now are just not even enjoyable to go and watch its become more of a chore.The solway sharks have now become a better organised organisation than what we are attracting crowds probably bigger than what we will get now and with more excitement at the games and more ambition than what Qos show. Major changes are needed at Qos very soon before it’s too late and we drop further down the leagues and lose the remaining fans we have left!

14 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Can you see him having any better offers after this clusterf*ck of a season ...?

Not at full time level no but if he was to get sacked with us he'd certainly have even less of a chance. 

I think consideration would be taken as to how shit a job Queens is as well. 4 managers on the bounce without any success tells us this. 

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Two excellent posts from Distant Doonhamer and Artemis, both exposing just how nonsensical this belief that we step it up against the stronger sides is.

It's annoying that Sandra invites Bartley to indulge in this rubbish week on week, and that he's so keen to do so. I thought we were meant to be about the science now, an evidence based approach.  

Instead, we hide behind the equivalent of an old wives' tale.  It permits a "wha's like us?" shrug, and the ongoing ignoring of the fact that it's disgraceful that we're out of our depth in such shallow waters.  

As a theory it could not be more flimsy.

Having a look at the fixture list for the next month and see you boys have to play the top 4 sides in that period (Falkirk and Montrose at home and Hamilton and Alloa away), so that nonsensical belief will definitely be tested!

You get the feeling the 2 other games sandwiched in between, against the clubs immediately below you in the League (Stirling and Annan) are going to be really important.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

35 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Having a look at the fixture list for the next month and see you boys have to play the top 4 sides in that period (Falkirk and Montrose at home and Hamilton and Alloa away), so that nonsensical belief will definitely be tested!

You get the feeling the 2 other games sandwiched in between, against the clubs immediately below you in the League (Stirling and Annan) are going to be really important.

Yes, a big month indeed.

A strong burst of form could take us towards the promotion play-offs, but there really isn't much to suggest that such a thing is likely.

Continuing struggles against the stronger sides, accompanied this time by defeat at Annan, really could put us in trouble.

I think the likeliest outcome is that we continue to piss around, doing just enough to stay safe, but who knows?  Even that would represent an absolutely pitiful season.

18 hours ago, Kunter said:

Not at full time level no but if he was to get sacked with us he'd certainly have even less of a chance. 

I think consideration would be taken as to how shit a job Queens is as well. 4 managers on the bounce without any success tells us this. 

Yeah, I think Bartley needs to take some time out after this (probably as a No.2 at a decent FT club) to reflect on where he could improve for his next tilt at the top role.  I suspect that he's underestimated the huge gulf between the relatively safe cushy territory of being a No.2 compared to being the guy at the helm making all of the big decisions.  He needs to reflect on the man-management side of the game and how to inspire his players and what switches them off.  Everyone needs to learn from their experiences if they're going to improve at whatever they do in life.

I'm not so sure that at this level Queens is a shit job (aye, OK there's better out there for sure) but we've gone for two raw inexperienced managers in our last two appointments and the known risks of doing so have come to pass.  Given our low end budget we need a manager with experience who can spot a player, can see their best positions and who can motivate players - sounds simple but they're not ten a penny out there.  Of all the signings clubs at our level make, the toughest and most important call is that of manager.

Edited by Otis Blue

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, a big month indeed.

A strong burst of form could take us towards the promotion play-offs, but there really isn't much to suggest that such a thing is likely.

Continuing struggles against the stronger sides, accompanied this time by defeat at Annan, really could put us in trouble.

I think the likeliest outcome is that we continue to piss around, doing just enough to stay safe, but who knows?  Even that would represent an absolutely pitiful season.

First and foremost - I agree entirely with your post above MT.

Now, and I know you wrote this tongue in cheek but ... the phrase "a strong burst of form could take us towards the promotion play-offs" made me gag, choke and splutter on my coffee!  As much chance of that as the Yanks introducing sensible gun laws.

Your other phrase "doing just enough to stay safe" I think is sadly in vogue within the panelled walls of the boardroom at Palmy these days.  What an indictment of the club, that the extent of our ambition now appears to be achieving safety in the third bloody tier of the SPFL (aye, the third bloody tier) and without even threatening the promotion spots being acceptable.

16 hours ago, queenslad said:

Is that the second ever keeper to score against us?

What a pathetic goal to lose was not even a well worked corner .

Keeper at fault again what the hell was he doing but even after that McKay did not fancy blocking the shot  sums up our season  .

7 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

First and foremost - I agree entirely with your post above MT.

Now, and I know you wrote this tongue in cheek but ... the phrase "a strong burst of form could take us towards the promotion play-offs" made me gag, choke and splutter on my coffee!  As much chance of that as the Yanks introducing sensible gun laws.

Your other phrase "doing just enough to stay safe" I think is sadly in vogue within the panelled walls of the boardroom at Palmy these days.  What an indictment of the club, that the extent of our ambition now appears to be achieving safety in the third bloody tier of the SPFL (aye, the third bloody tier) and without even threatening the promotion spots being acceptable.

Yes, sorry about the 'strong burst of form ' stuff.  I did try to distance myself from the very notion almost immediately, but you're right - there's no excuse for even thinking it.  I'm not proud of it and it won't happen again.

As for the rest, to be honest, I doubt if the board are actually happily settling for us being this pish.  For the financial reasons we've all identified though, they probably don't feel there's a great deal that can be done about it in the immediate term.

We are where we are.  Bartley has clearly proved to be a rotten appointment, but most of us welcomed the choice at the time and it's taken hindsight for it to look like such a lousy call.

2 minutes ago, Artemis said:

If a club can’t afford to sack a manager a year and a bit into a two and a half year contract, would they not be better off giving him a shorter contract in the first place? Appointing him isn’t the issue. The problem is giving an untried manager two and a half years. I suppose he might have insisted on it or else he wouldn’t have joined. If that was the case, they should just have said “Thanks for your time”. The risk of not being able to afford a sacking after a year should be factored into the decision to appoint.

We seem to have this arguement a lot at Queens. The odd time we get a decent player we moan we only offered a 1 year deal but we seem to get burned more often than not when we dish out 2 year contracts. It's one area I do feel sorry for our BoD as they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

The reality is if Bartley had us sitting comfy at the top and we only offered him a 1 year deal we'd all be expecting him to go elsewhere next year and be annoyed we never offered him longer. Admittedly I'd have preferred that situation to the one we find ourselves in the now, right enough. 

48 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Is Ross Irving's move to Threave a loan deal or permanent? Heard Mixed stories...

He'll be doing well if it's permanent. Just about his level. 

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I do understand there’s not much you can do when a player decides to leave part way through a two year contract.
And I agree that if Bartley had turned out to be a genius, a longer contract looks like a masterstroke. I just think with managers, especially untried ones, you need to consider at the outset whether or not you could afford to sack him after a year if the worst happens. If you can’t, then you just have to live with the fact that you won’t get compensation if they do turn out to be good because, if a bigger club comes in, they’ll leave anyway.

Looked like a good appointment but as was said in hindsight it’s been a disaster. But damned if you do damned if you don’t. Long time since we were worried he would go to Hibs! 

4 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Looked like a good appointment but as was said in hindsight it’s been a disaster. But damned if you do damned if you don’t. Long time since we were worried he would go to Hibs! 

I doubt if many of us were truly worried, I don't think it was an entirely serious notion at the time that he would get the Hibs gig.