The Queen of the South thread

Losing Hamilton is a big plus, amazingly they had a bigger budget than Falkirk which surprised me. Supposedly Caley are in big financial trouble so this relegation might hit them really hard. 

We really need to get it right this season. 

45 minutes ago, Brummo said:

And so say all of us!

Yip. I'd say there are 7 sides there who will be looking for a top 4 finish next season. 

Lots of stories about ICT being in financial trouble, so not sure what they'll bring next season but probably won't have Hamilton's budget.

Cove & Kelty - not sure about their level of ongoing external funding.

Alloa and Montrose will be rock solid as always.

Don't know enough about the promoted sides Stenny and Dumbarton but you'd imagine their aspirations would be consolidation.

That leaves Annan as likely to struggle the most you'd think.

So for me, Arbroath may well be the side carrying the most threat.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

And so we have it:- 

Alloa

Annan

Arbroath

Cove 

Dumbarton

ICT 

Kelty Hearts

Montrose 

QoS

Stenhousemuir 

Well the good thing is we have 4 new sides to play next season. Far too early to be making predictions but Falkirk and Hamilton leaving us is a bonus. We'll need to see if Caley have money to throw at it. 

Losing Falkirk is good but ICT is a blow, defo better funded than Hamilton. We at least should be aiming to win the league though. 

5 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Losing Falkirk is good but ICT is a blow, defo better funded than Hamilton. We at least should be aiming to win the league though. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that. ICT are in a bad way. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

And so we have it:-

Alloa

Annan

Arbroath

Cove 

Dumbarton

ICT 

Kelty Hearts

Montrose 

QoS

Stenhousemuir

I'm hoping we do better than 9th 😉

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yes, that seems to be the opinion on a couple of threads. If so, then I agree that it should be a tightly contested league. Fingers crossed that we're in amongst it at the right end of the table.

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ahh there's nothing like looking forward to the new season with a bit of positivity is there. If positivity isn't your thing then maybe look at things with a bit of realism. 

The realism is unless we get some investment on the playing front then we'll be down in league 1 for a very long time and the noise about cutting back and utilising youth hardly fills with confidence. 

There's 1600 + home fans waiting to come to Palmerston every week.. Just got to give them something worth viewing!

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

and also ... just gotta hope they don't release Big Dunc from his 3 year contract, aye? 😎

6 hours ago, Kunter said:

The realism is unless we get some investment on the playing front then we'll be down in league 1 for a very long time and the noise about cutting back and utilising youth hardly fills with confidence. 

There's 1600 + home fans waiting to come to Palmerston every week.. Just got to give them something worth viewing!

There will never be that required investment in the squad until we stop the bleeding.  The outgoing Chairman made it extremely clear at the AGM that the finances had to be sorted as they could not continue with the continued 6 figure losses, so it is very astute that we have moved to secure a manager that can work with a younger and cheaper budget than most in the league.  I would have loved to have seen the 20 man squad on the same budget that MB had, but sadly that is looking more likely that it will be a 20 man squad on a much reduced budget. 

I think the obvious ties to Carlisle will play a big part in the arrival of loan players and genuinely hope there can be some ground made between the club and the Tanner Fund after JM's post. The club are obviously looking to reach out to them and I believe they do have a bigger part to play with this new board.

The important part for me is getting the fans back through the gates and yep 90% may be results based, but as JM has highlighted the connection between board and terrace plays a huge part.  Having fans buy into what the board want is massive... JM's first posts underline this.

14 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Losing Hamilton is a big plus, amazingly they had a bigger budget than Falkirk which surprised me. Supposedly Caley are in big financial trouble so this relegation might hit them really hard. 

We really need to get it right this season. 

All about our budget.

We somehow have to get quality in that but that  costs money .

We really have to gamble  our crowds would double if we get the right players in .

Last summer everyone could see it was between Falkirk and Hamilton they had the best squads but there budget was double and more than ours .

Great to have young local players but we can't expect them to push us towards the top of the League .

All about experience and being physical in League 1 something we lacked last season .

Peter Murphy seems a decent manager but he has a impossible job if he is  not giving the budget to get the players he wants in.

57 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

All about our budget.

We really have to gamble  our crowds would double if we get the right players in .

Last summer everyone could see it was between Falkirk and Hamilton they had the best squads but there budget was double and more than ours .

Great to have young local players but we can't expect them to push us towards the top of the League .

All about experience and being physical in League 1 something we lacked last season .

Peter Murphy seems a decent manager but he has a impossible job if he is  not giving the budget to get the players he wants in.

Totally realistic assessment

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

All about our budget.

Can you try to make just 1 post without using the word budget, or any equivalent. I think we're all well enough aware that it is not what we would like it to be without you constantly harping on about it. Let's see what miracles Murphy can perform with what spending he has. 

2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

All about our budget.

A good budget certainly would be a positive step to ensuring at the least, a play-off position next season. Let's not forget that we had a good budget last season and were horrendous. 

A good manager/coach/tactics can work wonders also. Spending what money you have wisely is more beneficial than having loads of cash and buying in loads of players who dont fit.

Throwing money at a problem doesn't automatically mean success. Falkirk found that out over the last few years until they got their act together.

56 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Can you try to make just 1 post without using the word budget, or any equivalent. I think we're all well enough aware that it is not what we would like it to be without you constantly harping on about it. Let's see what miracles Murphy can perform with what spending he has. 

I harp on about it because it is so important .

I suppose miracles do happen time will tell 

34 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

Throwing money at a problem doesn't automatically mean success. Falkirk found that out over the last few years until they got their act together.

A manager who knew the division was key to us. McGlynn had the disadvantage of using players that were signed by others that used a significant amount of budget that restricted who he could bring in. Wasn’t until last season he was able to bring in his “own” and a credible spine of a team was added. The rest is history. Two big issues for you guys is how Arbroath & ICT react. Arbroath are the experts in signing most of the best PT players. ICT - publicly known financial woes, however may have one lapse gasp go at keeping the squad. However they didn’t look that clever of the past two games. It looks a great league and hope you do well, one place a load of fans enjoy going to. One thing for sure is that many teams will miss the blue pound.

On 18/05/2024 at 13:36, HighlandQueen said:

If we could negotiate our way out I would ditch Doherty, McKechnie and not keep Todd and McGuffie. Might just be a player in Hutchison with a pre season. However we need some serious quality additions with skill, physique and experience if we are to challenge. I agree that if the 20 includes kids and the current retained list we have no chance of making even the playoffs. 

Brydon is worth keeping but I would be keen to find a way out of keeping any of the others - Church,Cochrane, Hutchinson,Doherty and McKechnie.